Lift laws by state - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Lift laws by state

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-11-2004, 03:50 PM   #1
SCWrangler

illegal lifts in Massachusetts?

i wanna get a suspension/body lift on my 98 tj so i can put bigger tires on it, but i've heard that making and mods to your suspension in MA will not allow you to pass inspection? anybody know of anything?

SCWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2004, 05:16 PM   #2
elmo510
2001 TJ Wrangler 

try going to http://www.truckworld.com/How-To-Tec...lift-laws.html
elmo510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2004, 05:20 PM   #3
steveinmedford
2014 KL Cherokee 

I'm in Mass. Got 2"bb and 1"bl. Never had a prob. There are plenty of lifts higher than me around. Havent seen or heard of any probs with them either.

How high and what size tires you want? Monster truck stuff might be a prob.

Also, check out NEOW.net and NEWJO.org. They're Northeast off road club/web sites.

Steveinmedford
Unread 07-11-2004, 06:07 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you Mass. residents would vote out the politicians like Kennedy, you wouldn't have these kinds of problems.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2004, 08:03 PM   #5
Timbo
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
If you Mass. residents would vote out the politicians like Kennedy, you wouldn't have these kinds of problems.
AMEN!!!

Member: Black Jeep Society

Amateur Radio Call KB1MM
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2004, 08:27 PM   #6
Bucket110

in Mass, for our wheelbase the law is 2.5" of lift and 2.5" of tire is the max....just find a friend that works somewhere that does inspections...thats what i did

[URL=http://community.webshots.com/user/2k2blktj]My Jeep[/URL]
Bucket110 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2004, 09:33 PM   #7
TJxcore

the places around me (western mass) measure from the bottom of your door to the ground, which cant be higher then 30"s i'm at 29"s with 3" rustys lift and 33's.. if worst comes to worst just put the stock tires back on and you'll be fine
TJxcore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2004, 08:11 AM   #8
sulldoggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Hello!? Arnold the Governator, drives a "HUMMA!" (as we call them heya in Mass!)
Unread 07-12-2004, 09:07 AM   #9
roofdown

I live in Mass.
I have a TJ with 4" of lift and 33s. I just got it inspected at a random Shell station about 2 weeks ago. The guy said nothing about the lift, tires, or bumper height....passed w/ flying colors.

I live in Boston and pass MANY local cops and State Troopers during my daily travels....I've never been bothered about my lift height (knock on wood).

Black Jeep Club v2.0 Member #88
roofdown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2004, 10:03 AM   #10
Deezul
2004 TJ Wrangler 

MA sucks.......I need to move! Also any idea how much/if tires can stick out from flares? Mine are 1.5 " out on each side , I don't wanna buy big old flares but if I HAVE to..........
Deezul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2004, 11:26 AM   #11
sulldoggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul
MA sucks.......I need to move! Also any idea how much/if tires can stick out from flares? Mine are 1.5 " out on each side , I don't wanna buy big old flares but if I HAVE to..........
Don't let the screen door hit ya!
Unread 07-12-2004, 02:03 PM   #12
Jeepxj96

I live in Holliston (a small town near Framingham) and there are some huge trucks in my town that are on 38's, some Jeeps that are on 33's, and some Rovers that are on 34's. I plan on getting the FT 6 inch long arm and 35's I dont think I will have issues. And for inspections... thats why I work at a Jeep dealer.

Bob
Unread 07-12-2004, 09:32 PM   #13
Deezul
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulldoggy
Don't let the screen door hit ya!
didn't mean it in a bad way but our laws suck! Lived here all my life.......just wish laws were more lenient as far as mods......Holliston? Framingham here.........you goto Worcester Hills or anywhere?
Deezul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2004, 01:54 PM   #14
XJ-Maki

Hi, I've got the law and associated formula for lift in MA HERE

Not sure what it works out to for a wrangler, but for an XJ it works out to about 3.5" and then you're allowed to go over that by 1" and still be legal, so 4.5". Of course you can widen the wheel track with less backspacing and may squeeze out a little more that way. Also the lift amount is from the tallest suspension/wheel option available for a given model, so for the XJ you can add the lift amount to the base height of the Up Country option package to get an extra inch (that's already added in the 3.5" above).

If anyone's got more info about MA vehicle modification laws I'd love to have it. Also I'm at 3" above stock wheel size and ~4" lift and have been inspected that way twice and haven't had a hint of a problem with it. If I go any bigger I think I'll keep a set of 'inspection tires' on hand for that purpose.
XJ-Maki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2004, 10:06 AM   #15
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Is there any reason I shouldn't remove this thread from its "Sticky" status?

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.