Lift considerations - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Lift considerations

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 04-22-2004, 10:47 AM   #1
Bighaeb

Lift considerations

Hey guys,
I'm considering 2 options on my lift/tire sizes for my Rubicon. Throughout the summer, I will be saving around 8000 dollars (deployment funds Here is the problem. I don't want to spend every nickel I have on modifications.

Number one: I get the Deluxe Old man Emu lift from DPG offroad and throw on some 285/75s and be done with it. Will I be happy though?

Number two: I get a 4.5 Rubicon Express Long Arm kit and 35s. But now we are talking paying someone to install, getting wheels that actually work for this wide of a tire, or spacers (ewww), getting a new Driveshaft for sure, regearing for sure (I have an auto), and upgrading the front axle shafts.

Number three: You suggestions for running the 285s or the 315s SAFELY!!!!

Thats what 1800 bucks compared to 5000 bucks? Plus I need to finish up with getting a rear bumper and tire carrier, gas tank skid, Steering box skid, Oil pan and engine skid, and sliders. Now were talking about 3300 or 6600 or so.

I know it's up to me, but honestly, Is it going to be worth solid cash to me do jump to the 35s? Another thing I have thought of is I think It just might be fun to progress up to 35s. The only reason I want them now, is because I had the 33s on my YJ I sold, so you all know how that goes.

Let's hear what you would do guys....Thanks, Mike

Unread 04-22-2004, 08:22 PM   #2
Savage4x4

Rock Krawler
Medic Skid
1" BL 1" MML, grab some 4.88's, 35's, and a new driveshaft.
youll be good to go!

may as well do it while youve got the cash, its only money right?
Savage4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2004, 04:34 AM   #3
Bighaeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage4x4
Rock Krawler
Medic Skid
1" BL 1" MML, grab some 4.88's, 35's, and a new driveshaft.
youll be good to go!

may as well do it while youve got the cash, its only money right?
Not a bad setup idea there. I like the price of the 5.5 kit. The only problem is I hear nothing but terrible things about RockKrawler kits. Then I heard they have turned around and made a come back. So what's the deal with these guys now?

And I know what your saying about "it's only money right?" But thats a TON of money. I'm sure once I get closer to the time to make my decision, It'll end up being the long arm and 35's. We shall see! I guess I'll just have to suck it up, close my eyes, and write the check when the time comes, LOL.

Thanks for the input.
Unread 04-23-2004, 07:00 AM   #4
Savage4x4

RK is under totally new management, alot of the problems people had were with the old generation stuff. It has since been redesigned and the customer service is outstanding. Im saving up for the 4" RK and the 1.25" BL 35" Trxus and 4.88's. Check out HERE for our big Rock Krawler thread, one guy just got his kit the other day, looks KILLER. I hear the flex is insane, street ride is great, no exhaust modifications, just a bit of welding which can be done prior to the install.
4x4rockshop.com has
475$ for the 4.88's and install kits
5.5" 1800-2500$ depending on accesories
skid, BL, MML around 500$ (just guessing)
(id recomend going with the 4" if your going with the BL else youll have over 6")
i think youll have plenty left or just about right. id go ahead and get you 1" BL MML and the skid, then do your lift tires, gears last.
thats my plan anyhow. Cant wait to get going with mine.
Unread 04-23-2004, 08:20 AM   #5
94YJ_FL

Check out the Fabtech kits... they have 6" and 8" Long arm kits if you are going that route, and want another kit to look at besides Rock Krawler (which I know nothing about).

As far as suggestions, it's up to you as you said. Just do it right the first time and get what you really want, if you don't, it will cost you more in the long term. I have probably a little over 6" of lift on mine, with 34's, and it keeps looking smaller and smaller every day, lol.

Also, what kind of driving do you do? This might help everyone offer some suggestions? This a daily driver? Does it see a lot of offroad? If so, what is the level of difficulty you run? Type of terrain?
Unread 04-23-2004, 12:37 PM   #6
Bighaeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94YJ_FL
Check out the Fabtech kits... they have 6" and 8" Long arm kits if you are going that route, and want another kit to look at besides Rock Krawler (which I know nothing about).

As far as suggestions, it's up to you as you said. Just do it right the first time and get what you really want, if you don't, it will cost you more in the long term. I have probably a little over 6" of lift on mine, with 34's, and it keeps looking smaller and smaller every day, lol.

Also, what kind of driving do you do? This might help everyone offer some suggestions? This a daily driver? Does it see a lot of offroad? If so, what is the level of difficulty you run? Type of terrain?
Savage....I'm digging the 4 inch Idea of yours with the 1.25 BL and MML. Should sit pretty nice. And the price would be drastically reduced, especially with just going with the short arms. Not sure If that is what you were referring to though. Sounds like something to start researching.

As for the suggestion with the Fabtech kit, If I were to spend that much, I would just go ahead with the Rubicon Express since I've eyeballed this lift for the past 5 months on several boards and topics.

As far as what I do with my Rubicon, it's a daily driver that will see wheeling about 5-7 days out of each month. Terrain will strictly be trail runs in the Rockies and Moab for the most part. So we are looking at Rocks and uneven terrain/hillclimbs, possible loose dirt, minimal mud (hate that stuff), and no sand.

I read and read a ton on these boards, but it's always good to get outsiders looking in, that's where others creativity becomes very useful to me. Thanks so far for the new options, I'm going to take a closer look at RK and monitor how the newer generation kits are holding up. Feel free to post experiences with RK if you haven't already folks. Thanks a bunch, Mike
Unread 04-23-2004, 05:26 PM   #7
94YJ_FL

Since you read a few different boards, you might have already seen this:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...t=rock+krawler

I remembered the name, but couldn't place it earlier, then it hit me while I was picking up a new grinder at home depot, lol. I remember reading the thread and thinking they had some problems in the past. But... I remember thinking, after the Pirate flaming of course, that they seem like they may have turned a new leaf, and are attempting to erase the old image with better ownership and management. I had only heard of the XJ problems so I really have nothing other than local and forum hearsay... no personal experience.

Sounds like the "4 inch Idea of yours with the 1.25 BL and MML" would be a nice setup for what you do. Plenty to tackle some tougher trails, and nice enough to handle on the road daily. I don't think you could go wrong with the RE ED 4.5" kit, it seems very well engineered and tested IMHO. Good luck in your choice!
Unread 04-23-2004, 07:31 PM   #8
Savage4x4

in my opinion id go long arm, it will ride smoother on the road and will flex alot better in those off camber stuff im sure moab has to offer.
im definetely going with the 4" LA severe Duty, great price superb flex, easy install. if you checked out the rubiconownersforum.com then you saw how satisfied everyone was with thier Rock Krawler kit. One guy just got his in the shop the other day, cant wait to see how it works for him, alot of people have the 5.5 one guy even has the stock driveshaft still on, with minimal vibes (MML)
Im sold on it, i was looking for an alternative to the RE kits, everyone runs them and they are nice, but i hear the installs are tough and customer service sucks. RK seems to have all its aces in line.
what tires are you thinking of?
Unread 04-23-2004, 11:38 PM   #9
Bighaeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage4x4
in my opinion id go long arm, it will ride smoother on the road and will flex alot better in those off camber stuff im sure moab has to offer.
im definetely going with the 4" LA severe Duty, great price superb flex, easy install. if you checked out the rubiconownersforum.com then you saw how satisfied everyone was with thier Rock Krawler kit. One guy just got his in the shop the other day, cant wait to see how it works for him, alot of people have the 5.5 one guy even has the stock driveshaft still on, with minimal vibes (MML)
Im sold on it, i was looking for an alternative to the RE kits, everyone runs them and they are nice, but i hear the installs are tough and customer service sucks. RK seems to have all its aces in line.
what tires are you thinking of?
I did check out that topic on ROF, very good info! Gives me confidence in RK now.

If I go the OME route, it will be 285 75 16 on the stock wheels, Goodyear MT/R.

If I go the long arm route (RK, FT, RE) then I will switch to 15 inch wheels with 3.75 BS and run 35 inch BFG Mud terrain KM or the Goodyear MT/R, which ever. They are both great tires and about the same price.

Now, I must have missed something along the line, but what driveshaft is that guy referring to? I assume the front DS. Not many people switch out the Front driveshafts anyways do they? If so, is it because of doing a BL and no MML? The rear DS is pretty much a must as far as i'm concered at any lift greater than 3 inches, so I assume he wasn't referring to that one (if you don't lower the Tcase).
Unread 04-24-2004, 08:57 PM   #10
Savage4x4

it was actually his rear driveshaft, i guess that 1" MML does a pretty good job. he does have some vibes though, and isnt running a tummy tuck or anything. i cant wait to get my project going!
im thinking 15" rims though...
what tires are you considering?
Unread 04-26-2004, 01:50 PM   #11
gigihurt

Not only would I go long arm but I would go with 36 inch irocs. The long aem kit keeps your rear axle in proper alignment when you flex it. Without it you will scrub due to the axle being moved forward on compression. Dont forget your slip yoke eliminator.
gigihurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2004, 01:35 AM   #12
Bighaeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigihurt
Not only would I go long arm but I would go with 36 inch irocs. The long aem kit keeps your rear axle in proper alignment when you flex it. Without it you will scrub due to the axle being moved forward on compression. Dont forget your slip yoke eliminator.
Rubicons do not require a SYE kit, only a new DS. 36s are too much in my opinion. I want my Jeep to still be functional and with that, I'd say it's a bit too much for Moab hillclimbs. I almost think 35s are too much, but I'm willing to go with it....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.