Leasing Company Says Front but Not Back Tires Worn - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Leasing Company Says Front but Not Back Tires Worn

Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitLong Arm kits for all JK models from Clayton Off Road

Unread 08-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
homeboy

Leasing Company Says Front but Not Back Tires Worn

I do not know a lot about cars, so be gentle with your explanations.

I leased a new 2010 Jeep Patriot FWD CVT II from Ally for 36 months. All service was provided by an authorized Jeep dealer according to manufacturer's recommendations. Although I don't know for sure, I assume that tires rotation was part of the service. The car was used primarily for city driving. The mileage when I turned the car in was 27,874. The tires were Goodyear Wrangler p215/65R17 98S S2 WRL SR-A OWL TL. According to Goodyear, these are rated at 50,000 miles.

I just got a settlement statement from Ally indicating the following:

Tires -- Front-Left Replace -- $175
Tires -- Front-Right Worn - Wheel Scratch Nc.. -- $175

There was indeed a scratch of about 2 inches on the wheel. The tires were worn to a degree since I had driven over 27,874 miles, but they were not in need of replacement. Just a month before the lease ended I had to have a hole repaired in one of the rear tires and all were inspected at that time. I joked with the salesman how it would be terrible to have to buy new tires for a car I was about to turn in. But the salesman said that if the tires were worn -- which he said they were not -- it would be good if I would replace them as it would be more expensive if the leasing company did it.

So here are my questions.

1. Does it make sense that only the front tires would need replacing rather than all of them? Third is my third leased Jeep and I have never had this problem before.

(Unlikely explanation, but apparently the car did sit on the dealer's lot for about three months before Ally had it picked up. I suppose something could have "happened" to the front tires during that time.)

2. If it turns out that the service people did not rotate the tires, would that then be a reasonable explanation for front but not back tire wear?

3. I believe that front-end alignment has something to do with tire wear. Could improper alignment be an explanation? And if so, is alignment something that the dealer should have caught during routine service?

homeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I imagine they measure the tires for wear on lease return. Tire wear is generally measured as x/32". If the limit for acceptable is 8/32", and your rears are at 9/32", and the fronts are 7/32" then you get tires worn almost the same but with the fronts crucially below the cutoff.

There are used tire places around here that specialize in selling tires for lease returns. You should have similar shops near you. Still an option or too late for that?
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 09:43 PM   #3
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

It's a FWD car so most of the weight is on the front end which = more wear,not to mention the front tires also steer the vehicle which creates more wear.
Unread 08-16-2013, 05:42 AM   #4
WXman

I bet the tires were never rotated. Usually you have to request rotation and they charge extra to do it. Also, you should have actually measured all the tires with the depth gauge so you'd have evidence to fight Ally's claims.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.