JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires & Wheels (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/)
-   -   Largest tire size on stock suspension (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/largest-tire-size-stock-suspension-2293097/)

Limecuda 04-04-2014 09:36 AM

Largest tire size on stock suspension
 
Hello All, just picked up a 2011 wrangler unlimited rubicon and will need tires soon. What is the largest I can go with the stock suspension (with new rims of course) 31", 33", or 35"? Right now I have 255/75/17. Thanks

Charley3 04-10-2014 12:55 PM

I've heard stock JK can fit 33s, but I'm not a JK expert.

Isn't the size you have a 32 or 33?

Sounds like you already have a good size tire.

CJ7nvrstk 04-11-2014 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charley3 (Post 22027273)
I've heard stock JK can fit 33s, but I'm not a JK expert.

Then you shouldn't be giving advice on something you are not knowledgeable on.

A blanket statement like that is simply not true. Not all 33s are created equal. Some run short, those might fit depending on wheel backspacing. Key word, MIGHT. My Pro Comp 285s rubbed on every day street driving, and those are "33"s and not known to run big.

222Doc 04-11-2014 08:26 PM

i have seen 33x12.5"s rub on 2" lifts. in a flex at lock. The stock are about 32. more like 31.5 RL. with front in disconnect, in flex, wheels turned to lock they are about at the top.

read the "will it rub" Sticky.

Charley3 04-12-2014 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ7nvrstk (Post 22043057)
Then you shouldn't be giving advice on something you are not knowledgeable on.

A blanket statement like that is simply not true. Not all 33s are created equal. Some run short, those might fit depending on wheel backspacing. Key word, MIGHT. My Pro Comp 285s rubbed on every day street driving, and those are "33"s and not known to run big.

I qualified my statement accordingly.

CJ7nvrstk 04-13-2014 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charley3 (Post 22066337)
I qualified my statement accordingly.

Then why comment at all if you don't know what you are talking about? This leads to confusion caused by the "I read on the net....". Do you feel it's better to give bad advice than no advice at all? :thumbdown:

Sorry OP. I just hate it when people try to give advice when it's clear they don't know what they are talking about, regardless of any caveats they may throw out there. IMHO, this leads to confusion for new Jeepers when they read the over abundance of info available on forums such as these.

:cheers2:

:highfive:

Charley3 04-13-2014 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ7nvrstk (Post 22088337)
Then why comment at all if you don't know what you are talking about? This leads to confusion caused by the "I read on the net....". Do you feel it's better to give bad advice than no advice at all? :thumbdown:

Sorry OP. I just hate it when people try to give advice when it's clear they don't know what they are talking about, regardless of any caveats they may throw out there. IMHO, this leads to confusion for new Jeepers when they read the over abundance of info available on forums such as these.

:cheers2: :highfive:

The OP posted the OP on 4/4/14. No one commented or helped him for 6 days. Where was your helpful presence for 6 days? On 4/10/14 I tried to be helpful to him because no one else was helping him. I qualified my comments.

Up till I posted, everyone had been ignoring the OP for a week.

You didn't take any interest in his thread until after I posted in it. Soon after I posted here, then you showed up. Why is that? Are you my own personal stalker troll?

You think you know everything about every model of Jeep and every terrain and climate. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You aren't smart enough to realize that the guy in the psi for sand thread posted at the end of thread that he had used 15 psi with great results, which was a lot closer to the psi I recommended than what you recommended. He used what was right for his 31 tire size at that beach. :hahaha: I was far closer to correct psi than you were. :laugh: And that's when you started stalking and harassing me across multiple threads. :thumbdown:

That's why you came to this thread. You had no interest in this thread until after I posted here. :nono:

Middle finger. :nono: :laugh: :wave:

P.S. - the excessive, childish, obnoxious use of emoticons to insult and mock is normally your thing, but a taste of your own medicine is good for you. :thumbsup: :tea: :highfive: :goink:

CJ7nvrstk 04-14-2014 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charley3 (Post 22105937)
The OP posted the OP on 4/4/14. No one commented or helped him for 6 days. Where was your helpful presence for 6 days? On 4/10/14 I tried to be helpful to him because no one else was helping him. I qualified my comments.

Up till I posted, everyone had been ignoring the OP for a week.

You didn't take any interest in his thread until after I posted in it. Soon after I posted here, then you showed up. Why is that? Are you my own personal stalker troll?

You think you know everything about every model of Jeep and every terrain and climate. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You aren't smart enough to realize that the guy in the psi for sand thread posted at the end of thread that he had used 15 psi with great results, which was a lot closer to the psi I recommended than what you recommended. He used what was right for his 31 tire size at that beach. :hahaha: I was far closer to correct psi than you were. :laugh: And that's when you started stalking and harassing me across multiple threads. :thumbdown:

That's why you came to this thread. You had no interest in this thread until after I posted here. :nono:

Middle finger. :nono: :laugh: :wave:

P.S. - the excessive, childish, obnoxious use of emoticons to insult and mock is normally your thing, but a taste of your own medicine is good for you. :thumbsup: :tea: :highfive: :goink:

LOL, don't flatter yourself. I don't see every single thread and post every day. I just have to call BS see I see it. I also don't feel I know everything about every Jeep. That's why I don't post or give advice on XJs, Cherokees.... I stay out of areas I don't have experience in and suggest you do the same.

Please try to stay on topic. Bringing in other topics does nothing for this thread or the OP. Sorry you feel the need to resort to personal attacks. This behavior does nothing for the OP but when you repeat yourself multiple times to try to push your point, even when you lack the knowledge on that topic, BS needs to be called so the OP does not follow that erroneous advice.

Sorry OP that someone had to hijack your thread and turn it into a personal attack thread.

:cheers2:

WXman 04-14-2014 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Limecuda (Post 21858777)
Hello All, just picked up a 2011 wrangler unlimited rubicon and will need tires soon. What is the largest I can go with the stock suspension (with new rims of course) 31", 33", or 35"? Right now I have 255/75/17. Thanks

Stock suspension you can do 33x12.50-15 or if you want bigger wheels try 285/70-17. That's the max with proper offset wheels.

On stock wheels, 255/80-17 is max size.

Charley3 04-15-2014 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WXman (Post 22113849)
Stock suspension you can do 33x12.50-15 or if you want bigger wheels try 285/70-17. That's the max with proper offset wheels.

On stock wheels, 255/80-17 is max size.

Interesting. I don't recall the OP saying whether he meant stock wheels or aftermarket wheels. I had assumed he meant aftermarket wheels. Perhaps some other people assumed he meant stock wheels. Perhaps that is one of the root causes of the earlier dispute, along with a certain person who is predisposed to making personal atracks and always looking for an excuse to do so.

Wxman, I find your post wise and informative. Hopefully so will the OP.

Charley3 04-15-2014 09:09 PM

OP, I think Wxman addressed your question well, especially since he discussed wheels as part of the topic.

CJ7nvrstk 04-16-2014 04:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Limecuda (Post 21858777)
Hello All, just picked up a 2011 wrangler unlimited rubicon and will need tires soon. What is the largest I can go with the stock suspension (with new rims of course) 31", 33", or 35"? Right now I have 255/75/17. Thanks

Since you stated in your OP 33" tire with aftermarket rims it would be safe to say that combination will rub as that is essentially the same as stock wheels with spacers and it has been stated here before that combo will rub. You can see that from the C&P below. You would either have to run flat flares or a lift to be able to run 33s with no rubbing, given proper wheel offset as well.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/faq-will-rub-610856/


FAQ: Will it rub?
The JK with stock wheels, no spacer, no lift

32" tires: no rubbing
33" tires: some rubbing
35" tires: don't try

The JK with stock wheels, 1 1/4" wheel spacer, no lift

32" tires: no rubbing
33" tires: some rubbing
35" tires: don't try

The JK with stock wheels, 1 1/2" wheel spacer, no lift, Bushwacker flat-top flares

32" tires: no rubbing
33" tires: no rubbing
35" tires: rubbing that can be cured with trimming pinch-seam
37" tires: don't try

The JK with stock wheels, 1 1/4" wheel spacer, 2" lift

33" tires: no rubbing
35" tires: some rubbing
37" tires: don't try

The JK with stock wheels, 1 1/4" wheel spacer, 4" lift

33" tires: no rubbing
35" tires: no rubbing
37" tires: some rubbing
38" tires: be careful
39" tires: don't try

What kinds of wheels can I run on my JK?

Of course, any stock wheel that comes with the JK will be able to be used. If you are looking through the junk-yard and you find some rims that you really like, make sure that they are a 5-bolt pattern on 5" diameter. Chevy 1/2-ton pick-up trucks in the 2wd variety use this bolt-pattern.

You will be able to fit some 15" rims and all 16" and bigger rims on your Jeep. The only problem that you might run into is the brake-caliper rubbing on the inside of the 15" rim, depending on off-set. If you find the rims you choose rub - a set of wheel-spacers can be installed to move the rim further from the caliper.

Check the tire-manufacturer's recommended rim-width prior to running the tires on the rims that you choose yourself.

So, as I stated before, it will rub and I have provided you the back up so you know this is not pure speculation from someone who doesn't know what they are talking about.

Hope this helps. Sorry about the pissing contest, as I stated before, I have to call BS :nono: when I see bad advice being given out.

:wave:

Pic is of my 08, stock wheels, 2" BB in Moab a few years ago.

FWIW, I once followed the advice of a self proclaimed experts on the Internet and was disappointed with the result. Just trying to help so you don't make the same mistake by taking the advice of someone who already verified he doesn't know what he is talking about and just wants to be argumentative on a subject he is not knowledgable on.

BTW, post up pics when your Jeep gets her new shoes. Jeep porn is always appreciated.

HappyTrails 04-17-2014 06:40 AM

Ok, guys...

I have ridden with guys in JK's that are running 33/12.5's on no lift. They do not rub if given proper offset wheels. You will need a wheel with 4.5" of backspacing or less.

You can fit 35's on a JK with no lift (and 4.5" offset wheels). Wouldn't take it off-road, though.

Most JK's run 2.5" of lift for 35's and 4.5" backspaced wheels. No wheel spacers.

I am running 37's on 2.5" of lift, 4.5" backspaced wheels, 1.5" spacers, and flat fenders. No rubbing.

That chart quoted above is all based on STOCK wheels with 6.75" offset. Get some wheels with 4.5" offset or less, and you can fit some very large tires with little/no rubbing on the lower control arms.

CJ7nvrstk 04-17-2014 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyTrails (Post 22202505)
Ok, guys...

I have ridden with guys in JK's that are running 33/12.5's on no lift. They do not rub if given proper offset wheels. You will need a wheel with 4.5" of backspacing or less.

You can fit 35's on a JK with no lift (and 4.5" offset wheels). Wouldn't take it off-road, though.

Most JK's run 2.5" of lift for 35's and 4.5" backspaced wheels. No wheel spacers.

I am running 37's on 2.5" of lift, 4.5" backspaced wheels, 1.5" spacers, and flat fenders. No rubbing.

That chart quoted above is all based on STOCK wheels with 6.75" offset. Get some wheels with 4.5" offset or less, and you can fit some very large tires with little/no rubbing on the lower control arms.

Your first statement is not entirely true. It's a your mileage may vary sort of statement. The 4.5" I have no experience with but can tell you 4" BS rubs, 3.75" BS rubs. When you start sticking the tires out farther with less backspace, you aren't running on the inside, you are rubbing on the outside. The flares. It's that off camber stuff, wheels turned, tire jammed up in the wheel well but it still rubs.

Keep in mind, given enough time and effort/money, you'll be surprised what you can make work. Remember Lower 40? Running 40s on a stock height JK! For the most part though, with the exception of one small area (4.5" BS), 33x12.50s will rub on a stock JK.


The time now is 08:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.