Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Kumho Venture MTs

1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  bdw8 
#1 ·
These sound like great tires from what I hear. I plan to get these because of their great reviews and great price. I hear they have good highway manners and perform well off-road. I had a question though for the owners of these tires: How do they perform in sand?

I know you shouldn't get MTs for sand but I would be doing a some mudding and I would be trying to get to the secluded beaches on Ocracoke Island, NC. I found a little bit about how they did on sand but it was sort of vague. All the review really said was that they have driven through the sand, no mention of problems.

All help is appreciated.

#2 ·
they do amazing in mud, things i thought u would get def. stuck in a made it out of. in sand they are pritty decent as well. I went up to my cousins house in NC and played around up there. it went very well. i recommend these tires to anyone and everyone

#4 ·
where can you buy kumbo's, what is the price per tire, how do they compare to Goodyear MTR

#7 ·
bdw8 said:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/ormt.jsp

There is the tirerack online survey. They are neck and neck with the Wrangler MTRs. They also have customer reviews on there for both tires.

IMO, I would go with the Ventures (and I am) because of their price. You get basically equal performance and you pay around $50 less per tire.
I don't have any experience with the Ventures, but they're only $15 less than what I paid for my MT/R's. Just letting him know that you can find MT/R's cheaper.

Mel

#8 ·
Mels95YJ said:

I don't have any experience with the Ventures, but they're only $15 less than what I paid for my MT/R's. Just letting him know that you can find MT/R's cheaper.

Mel
so where did you get your MT/Rs??

#9 ·
Wal-mart with a Tire & Lube Express. You have to order them, but there's no extra charge and they only charge $9.95 for the lifetime warranty and rotation for each tire. I don't know if they were on sale or not. The catalog they had said they were $165 a tire, but they rang up $115 a tire. HTH

Mel

#11 ·
As far as I know that's the price of them. Another person on this forum got his 30" MT/R's for $109 I believe. If you go to Wal-mart, just have them call and get the price before you order them. I didn't have a coupon or anything. I bought them back in May of this year I believe. HTH

Mel

#12 ·
That sounds like a great deal. That will definately be one of my choices as the next tires.

Just curious but has anyone bought their Ventures from Merchant tire? They are supposed to be a Kumho dealer but I don't know if they sell the Venture MTs.

#13 ·
Discount Tire carries Kumho but the Venture is usually not in stock (they can order it though).

Does anyone know if this tire is siped? There is a Toyota near me with an older set (2+ years old) and they are definately NOT siped (or it is worn off), but when I look at the pictures on the Kumho web page it looks like they have added some siping for the newest model.

I actually stopped by a Discount Tire today to ask them if they knew about the siping but they did not. They did say that they can add siping to any tire for me for $5 a tire. This sounds a bit, uh, scary to me, but the guy helping me assured me they do it every day and it is quite common. He said a lot of manufacturers have pretty shallow siping so it wears off after a while and they will recut it for people. He said this was really popular just before winter. :)

Anyone ever had a tire siped after market?

I still haven't decided between these and the TrXus MTs yet...

#14 ·
tire shops in this area sipe tires frequently. Sipe the inside tread blocks, not the outside. Adds traction on ice and slick pavement without wear problems. Siping outside blocks causes them to wear faster. I have it done regularly, it does help on winter roads.

#15 ·
i went to the walmart buy me today and they said that they dont have kumbo's and they cannot order them??? WTH is there anywhere else i can get them from, tirerack has them on backorder till the end of july

#16 ·
Go to kumhotire.com and click on the dealer locator. It may be down right now and I haven't check it recently. Find out if there is a Merchant Tire Center around you. They sell Kumho tires but I don't know about the Ventures. Call them up and ask.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.