KM2 or MTR/kevlar - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > KM2 or MTR/kevlar

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep seats at Jeephut.comEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Closed Thread
Unread 01-12-2015, 02:37 PM   #1
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

KM2 or MTR/kevlar

Lookin at 35" BFG KM2 or the Goodyear MTR w/Kevlar. Jeep is not a daily driver, mostly rocks. What tire would you pick and why?

RnEmOvr is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2015, 02:53 PM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

IMO, KM2s, while popular, are overrated and MTRs are the best multi-use tire on the market. Currently on 3rd set of MTRs - 33x12.5x15, 35x12.5x15 and 35x12.5x17.
Unread 01-12-2015, 02:54 PM   #3
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
IMO, KM2s, while popular, are overrated and MTRs are the best multi-use tire on the market. Currently on 3rd set of MTRs - 33x12.5x15, 35x12.5x15 and 35x12.5x17.
What is it you liked about MTR over KM2?
Unread 01-12-2015, 03:36 PM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnEmOvr View Post
What is it you liked about MTR over KM2?
MTRs are much more of a multi-use tire rather than an MT. And even if I wanted an MT, there are many options I'd get before the KM2. For your stated use (rocks), I think MTR design a much better option.

Additionally, IMO the MTRs are much stronger than KM2s when it comes to avoiding flats.
Unread 01-12-2015, 04:02 PM   #5
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If that's your choices, its a no-brainer. Get the MTR/Ks.

Ive ran them both in 35x12.50R17's and the MTR/Ks are better all around tires. I hated the KM2's by 3/4 tread and removed and replaced them at 1/2 tread. KM2's are definitely over rated.

The KM2's lacked lateral traction, would not dig, and did very poorly on wet, snowy, icy roads. On the positive side, they were very smooth and quiet on the street and the tire wear was OK/average.

The MTR/Ks are good all around tires. They aren't really the best at any one thing but perform well in a wide variety of areas so your not making any sacrifices. I'm happy with their lateral traction, ability to clean out and dig, and their performance on wet, snowy, icy roads. There are only a few tires I would consider running instead of the MTR/Ks for a multi-use tire but at the same time I don't want to ruin a good thing.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2015, 09:45 PM   #6
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

MTRk is the better tire for you.

The only time the KM2 could win this comparison is if it's a street only rig and your primary concern is tread wear.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2015, 06:12 AM   #7
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
MTRk is the better tire for you.

The only time the KM2 could win this comparison is if it's a street only rig and your primary concern is tread wear.
I don't think they wear well enough to make up for their lack of sipping and the poor wet, snowy, and icy traction on the street. Maybe in a warm dry climate that sees very little rain and is never cold enough to snow or freeze.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 01-13-2015, 08:07 AM   #8
Chest_Rockwell
2006 LJ Wrangler 

A couple of years ago I decided to be different and gave the KM2's a try over the MTR's. So far they have held up just fine for rock crawling in Colorado and I find they grip the rocks very well. The KM2 sidewalls are weaker than the MTR's but so far that hasn't been an issue for me.
Chest_Rockwell is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2015, 10:04 AM   #9
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Like mentioned if street queen, Go KM2. If you want a great set of all around almost bulletproof tires, MT/R K's. There is no element or terrain that they are not on part or better than, Unless talking deep mud and a SS tire.
Unread 01-13-2015, 01:28 PM   #10
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone. MTR/K it is.
Unread 01-14-2015, 07:08 AM   #11
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I like the way the KM2 pulls off-road but I don't like the three sidewalls I've torn. My next set of tires will be something different.
Unread 01-14-2015, 11:39 AM   #12
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLADE View Post
I don't think they wear well enough to make up for their lack of sipping and the poor wet, snowy, and icy traction on the street. Maybe in a warm dry climate that sees very little rain and is never cold enough to snow or freeze.
Only a snow tire would be good in those conditions, the MT/R was not designed as a snow/ice tire. It is EXCELLENT at what it was designed for... extremely tough offroad conditions where it also has the ability to resist damage to the sidewall that would puncture other tire sidewalls like the BFG KM2. I had too much sidewall damage when I used to run BFG's MT tires, I'll stick with my pretty much bulletproof MT/Rs.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2015, 04:34 PM   #13
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Only a snow tire would be good in those conditions, the MT/R was not designed as a snow/ice tire. It is EXCELLENT at what it was designed for... extremely tough offroad conditions where it also has the ability to resist damage to the sidewall that would puncture other tire sidewalls like the BFG KM2. I had too much sidewall damage when I used to run BFG's MT tires, I'll stick with my pretty much bulletproof MT/Rs.

I don't run designated winter tires and I'm not comparing KM2's to a designated winter tire (just other MT tires). MTR/Ks may not be designed as a winter tire, but they perform acceptably on wet roads and in winter conditions. I can't say the same for the KM2's.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 01-14-2015, 06:15 PM   #14
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Snow and rain are not an issue. Jeep doesn't see either.
Unread 01-15-2015, 08:08 AM   #15
CJ7nvrstk
1985 CJ7 

Sounds like both would suite your needs. Be prepared to rotate the MRT/ks much more frequently. Many guys I used to wheel with in the rocks and sand around El Paso had good experiences with both tires.

FWIW, the "obsessed with the MRT/K" crowd here is just as vocal and active as the "obsessed with the Cooper AT3" crowd.

Cue those who can't stand when you dont agree with them and that the MTR/K is hands down the best tire ever made. (That is of course next to the Cooper AT3)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.