Kelly Safari DTR HVT & Safari MSR - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Kelly Safari DTR HVT & Safari MSR

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-30-2005, 03:11 AM   #1
KY-TJ

Kelly Safari DTR HVT & Safari MSR

Has anyone used these? I did a seach and came up with very little. Any opinions would be useful if you have/used these or no not. Thanks!

Kelly Tires

Safari DTR HVT

Safari MSR

KY-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2005, 01:34 PM   #2
Distorted_Axis
2003 WJ 

My friends has the DTRs on his Chevy 03' 4x4.... They can be had for under $100 per tire around here.

After about 18K they are pretty wore out. But his lazy *** also didn't change balance and rotate them like he should have so that may be why they wore so bad? He also said that after 5K they got VERY loud....

The didn't clean out all that well in the mud, but they had decent highway manners and didn't hydroplane much... He said he was the only truck on his steet that didn't get stuck this winter when the big storm hit Ohio around christmas time... so I guess they do well in the snow. We had about 30 inches fall in 2 days.

I was considering putting them on my jeep because they are so cheap, but.... I think I'll steer clear of these. I'll find something else in a mud tire...
03' Overland, Silver 4.7L HO K&N Intake
Rusty's 2.5" Coil Lift, Addco F&R Swaybars.
Distorted_Axis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2010, 10:46 AM   #3
PaveRunner
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Kelly Safari DTR HVT & Safari MSR

I have a set of 30x9.x15's mounted on stock wheels that will need to be replaced soon. I don't know how many miles are are them, the vehicle has 109K. I like them, but don't have experience to compare with anything else. Looking for another set of the same or similar.
PaveRunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2010, 09:46 PM   #4
mightysteed

Best tire i have seen

To answer the original question about how i feel about both tires, i have not tried the latter of the 2. But the Kelly Safari MSR is, in my mind, the best off road tire i have found for my jeep and what i use it for. This includes driving up abandoned logging trails and even off trail in full on Oregon country. This can get extremely muddy. I have never gotten stuck in the mud or snow either with this tire. A time i am more than happy to point out is when i was staying up on mt. Hood at Timberline lodge. It was constantly snowing for the full 4 days i stayed and by the time i went to move my jeep, 4 days in, it was completely snowed in. As in up to the doors and most the of car is not visible. All around me there are other SUVs with other tread of tires thinking they are safe just because they sport 4x4s in their rigs. The owners of these cars were actually paying people, who had snow shovels, to dig their "SUVs" out of the snow. In case you could not guess i got out in less then 3 min after i scraped all the ice off my windows for visibility. I rocked the car back and forth and was free almost effortlessly. As for ice, back in 2008 we had a really rough winter, i was driving everyone around because i was really one of the few cars able to move. My boss lived in a apartment complex at the top of a pretty steep hill, problem is halfway up the hill is a stop sign were most cars stop and loose it when they attempt to start again. The Kelly's got me moving without slipping one bit. A lengthy post but all from personal experience. As for the big question as to the life of the tire, i commute 40 miles every day, 20 up and 20 back. As of right now, i am low on tread, as in needing new tires low, but they lasted me all year. That may sound like an exaggeration, but i got the current set im on now last February, it's close enough to a year i think. Hope this helps, sure the Kellys cost more then the ladder of the 2 tires, but in my book, this is the only off-road tire i'll be buying form now on.
mightysteed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.