Keep traction while muddin - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Keep traction while muddin

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 01-22-2005, 12:41 AM   #1
or8008
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Keep traction while muddin

So I went muddin last week and the whole time I had extreme amounts of mud sticking to my tires. So much mud in fact that the tire was just as good being bald. The mud made the tread completely slick and flat. I saw other rigs, some also with ATs, going in the same places I was going yet not as much mud as I had on the tires. I did spin the tires every once in a while to get the mud off but it didn't quite help when i was actually in the mud. I know mud WILL stick to the tires, obviously, but how can I reduce the amount of it on my tires and actually have decent traction while im in the mud?

Thanks

Unread 01-22-2005, 02:08 AM   #2
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

From what little mud running I have done, you just have to hammer down on the skinney pedel I suggest avoiding it in general and sticking to the rocks, but hey thats just me
87warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2005, 03:51 AM   #3
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

get a mud terrain tire
TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2005, 03:56 AM   #4
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

but seriously though....all terrain tires aren't meant to be fantastic in mud. they are a general purpose/general terrain tire. they are made to do acceptable in each type of terrain. now the BFG AT is a great tire..all around..but don't expect to be able to mud bog with them.
you may now think, ok, please actually answer my question on how to reduce the amount of mud sticking to the tires so you can get better traction......
solution #1) stay out of heavy mud
solution #2) get a mud terrain tire
TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2005, 04:08 AM   #5
olllllllo.us

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87warrior
From what little mud running I have done, you just have to hammer down on the skinney pedel I suggest avoiding it in general and sticking to the rocks, but hey thats just me

x2 Keep 'em spinnin' through the mud.

Remember: Mud=$$$$$
Unread 01-22-2005, 05:49 AM   #6
VTMurphy

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Gotta keep 'em spinning so that they are constantly clearing out . Momentum is also your friend when entering a mud pit so I would say to enter at a fair speed ( 2nd or 3rd gear ) and don't let off the skinny pedal until you are out the other side . Other than that you could try spraying your tires with non-stick cooking spray before mudding but not sure if that would work .
But honestly , you'ld be doing yourself a huge favor by getting some mud tires if you're going to be doing alot of that kind of wheeling .
VTMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2005, 06:20 AM   #7
yogi
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKMurphy
Gotta keep 'em spinning so that they are constantly clearing out . Momentum is also your friend when entering a mud pit so I would say to enter at a fair speed ( 2nd or 3rd gear ) and don't let off the skinny pedal until you are out the other side . Other than that you could try spraying your tires with non-stick cooking spray before mudding but not sure if that would work .
But honestly , you'ld be doing yourself a huge favor by getting some mud tires if you're going to be doing alot of that kind of wheeling .

thats a good way to push your fan right through your radiator seen it done not a pretty site

yogi
Unread 01-22-2005, 07:02 AM   #8
jruba

I heard Pam spray works ok , i havent tried it yet, so im not sure ....but if you do a lot a mud , get some super swamper's
jruba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2005, 07:33 AM   #9
under_psi

silicone, armor all, wd-40, pan coating....all work great on the flares and undercarriage, but not on the tires too much.

basically a tight tread pattern is going to hold on to the mud more and it depends on the overall tread pattern of the tire as to how it will self clean...

if you want to go be billy johnson in the mud, buy yourself a set of super swamper TSL radials or some boggers....then you will be set....i have the thornbirds, and although they are technically an AT tire, they perform well in the mud....on a final note....here in mississippi the mud holes here along the trails are basically like CLAY, and even boggers can get slicked over, i have seen it, what i am trying to say is that even the best MT tire can still get slicked over.....
What's coming through is alive. What's holding up is a mirror. But what's singing songs is a snake looking to turn this piss to wine. They're both totally void of hate, but killing me just the same. The snake behind me hisses what my damage could have been. My blood before me begs meopen up my heart again. And I feel this coming over like a storm again. considerately. Venomous voice, tempts me, drains me, bleeds me, leaves me cracked and empty. Drags me down like some sweet gravity.
under_psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2005, 07:33 AM   #10
Snowman01TJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Pam on the tires is a good thing!
[COLOR=navy]Blue Jeep Club Member #30[/COLOR]
[COLOR=DarkGreen]Hurricane Jeep Club Member #3[/COLOR]
2001 Wrangler Sport 4.0L
Teraflex 3T
Mickey Thompson Classic II
BFG AT KO 33X12.50
Snowman01TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2005, 07:36 AM   #11
VTMurphy

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi
thats a good way to push your fan right through your radiator seen it done not a pretty site

yogi
Now that I got a few cups of coffee in me 3rd gear does seem a little excessive . I guess hitting mud doing 40mph with the pedal to the floor might be a bad idea !
What I was trying to say was that you don't want to pause in the middle to shift into another gear or 4WD because once you lose momentum you will have a very hard time getting moving again . More of a "steady" speed concept .
VTMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2005, 10:55 AM   #12
olllllllo.us

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKMurphy
you don't want to pause in the middle to shift into another gear or 4WD because once you lose momentum you will have a very hard time getting moving again . .
.....and, if you have a manual and shift while your in some mud, you could suck mud up into the clutch. Ask me how I know.
Unread 01-22-2005, 11:32 AM   #13
AudioGuru

Airing down will help, too. This allows the tire to grow more when spinning due to centrifugal force. This opens up the voids and helps spit the mud out of the gaps.

[COLOR=White]Don't lie. God said so.[/COLOR]
AudioGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2005, 04:41 PM   #14
or8008
1998 TJ Wrangler 

All right very helpful. Ill try the cooking spray and see how it is.

Thanks
Unread 01-25-2005, 11:31 AM   #15
jeep32mudtaman

Have you tried to put chains on your tires. Chains will give you more traction in the mud or snow. If you are just muddin look into a set of chains for alot cheaper than buying a whole new set of tires. If you rock crawl and mud in the same trip look into some super swamper boggers. Great preformance in mud and in the rocks.
jeep32mudtaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.