Italian rules on tire sizes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Italian rules on tire sizes

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 07-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
Anith
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Italian rules on tire sizes

We have here in Italy, a strange rule on tire sizes that can be fitted. When you register your vehicle for the first time, you could indicate in your application form, the additional sizes of tires (besides the stock size), that you wish to fit. For example, my the 1999 TJ 4.0 Sport has 215/75 R15, 225/75 R15 and 215/80 R15 - as approved by the Ministry of Transport. If I fit any other sized tires, it will be illegal. However, any additional tire size to be approved requires an application and about USD 1,200 in fees.

Do you in the US have similar rule like this?

Anith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
bondosgto
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Nope.
bondosgto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Many states have laws prohibiting tires more than two sizes larger than stock but these laws are very rarely enforced.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Some states have some restrictions, but nothing as bad as that. Most common thing you'll run into here is exceeding lawful height from the ground since tires count towards it. It's not enforced around here much but we can only be but so high off the ground based on GVWR, but pickups get more height than SUVs do. So I could legally go higher on a Comanche than I can on a Cherokee despite them being virtually identical.

Otherwise a lot of areas only care if your tires are uncovered, you don't have mud flaps, ect.
Unread 07-14-2013, 12:59 AM   #5
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Most Northeastern USA states have rules about max tire size, but not nearly as restrictive as the OP describes in Italy.

I'm fairly sure the rest of the USA has no restrictions, or doesn't enforce them. In my area (Oregon and Washington) there is no tire size restrictions, but there is a bumper height restriction that limits how many inches above stock bumper height your bumper is allowed to be.

I can't remember how much higher than stock the bumper is allowed to be, but it's so much that I never worried about it with my lifted LJ. I've never known of the police to enforce that law anyway.

But when some ahole rearended me at a stop light, went under my Jeep, and broke my neck, the other person's insurance sent an inspector to inspect my Jeep to make sure it was a legal height.

My Jeep was a legal height. So their insurance paid me $75,000. If my Jeep had been illegally high, I might have got nothing.

It's the insurance people who enforce our tire and lift laws, but our laws are not very restrictive.

The exception is the Northeast USA where the laws are restrictive/oppressive and the state police and insurance inspectors both enforce oppressive laws.
Unread 07-14-2013, 01:12 AM   #6
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

European governments interfering with peoples' lives with to many laws and restrictive laws is why the USA exists. It's why our ancestors came here from all parts of Europe. Even those who came here for economic gain were coming for a place where less government interference made that possible.

The Eastern USA states were (and are) free-er than Europe, but not free enough. Freedom and economic reasons are why people headed West.

To this day the Western and Midwestern States have the most freedom, but the Democrats are reducing West coast freedoms as fast as they can. It's now illegal to wash your own car in the town next over. Why? The liberal environmentalists convinced Democrats to pass that law to keep soap out of sewers to protect rivers.

I think soon the West coast will be as restrictive as the Northeast. The rest of the USA still bas good freedoms though.
Unread 07-14-2013, 01:19 AM   #7
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

A lot of TJs came stock with 235/75R15 and 30 x 9.5 R15 tires.

Those are great sizes for on and off road use. The 30 x 9.5 R15 is especially good.

I think your government has mistakenly omitted these stock tire sizes. 30 x 9.5 R15 is the most common tire size for stock TJs I've seen.

If you can show them that many (probably most) TJs came stock with 30 x 9.5 R15, then maybe they'll let you use that size.

Here is a thread about 30 x 9.5 R15 tires. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/l...zj-tj-1523888/
Unread 07-14-2013, 06:26 AM   #8
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

In Sweden the government has to approve what you name your baby child.
Unread 07-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #9
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Are you serious?
Unread 07-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #10
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
Are you serious?
I am serious.

Also, since the EU controls standards for everything sold in Europe from condoms to crackerjack, I doubt Italy has some special rule for tires.
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:33 PM   #11
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I am serious.

Also, since the EU controls standards for everything sold in Europe from condoms to crackerjack, I doubt Italy has some special rule for tires.
So you're thinking the tire restriction is EU? Maybe. I don't know.

I do know we have some German members running 33s and 35s on TJs, and a Finnish member running oversize tires on an XJ.
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:38 PM   #12
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'd like to know if Anith (the OP) read what I posted about many TJs came stock with 235/75R15 and many more came with 30 x 9.5 R15.
Unread 07-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #13
Anith
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
I'd like to know if Anith (the OP) read what I posted about many TJs came stock with 235/75R15 and many more came with 30 x 9.5 R15.
Hi Charley, yes, I did read and thanks! I will try to play with your suggestion.

Cheers!
Anith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #14
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anith View Post
Hi Charley, yes, I did read and thanks! I will try to play with your suggestion.

Cheers!
Great. Also check out this thread when you have time:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/l...zj-tj-1523888/
Unread 07-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #15
Michel347

Quote:
Quote:

Are you serious?
You don't need to go as far, here in Canada also !
Michel347 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.