Ion wheels? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Ion wheels?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 12-09-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
Mike97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Ion wheels?

Anyone running Ion wheels? They have a few really nice looking ones, and they seem to be really reasonably priced.

I'm thinking of a 16x8, the one that looks like a alloy soft 8 with a fake beadlock. I found them for 106/ea, including lugs, caps, valve stems, and shipping.

I'm just wondering how the quality is, and if they're really heavy.

Thanks!

Mike97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
dwdrums40385
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i was wondering the same, they have some nice rims. that are pretty cheap, anyone got pics?
dwdrums40385 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #3
tchaap
2008 JK Wrangler 

did either of your go with the Ion Alloy wheels? I'm looking at the 174 and would like some feedback.

Thanks!
Unread 03-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
Dirty Backroads
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I was looking at these, which are even cheaper...

http://4wheelonline.com/Ion_Alloy_Wheels_171_Black_Machine_Lip.169734.6284 25

Seems 4wheelonline is offering FREE shipping and discounts on this brand wheel. Wasn't the case last week or I may have been persuaded to buy them.

I was a bit spooked by the gloss black (I prefer a flat black) combined with the machined lip (wasn't sure if it needed polishing or not) but they look cool. Plus the price sure is right.

The ones you like are priced really well too with free shipping. They look similar to the ones I looked at but without the bolt holes and the lettering on the rim. I like things a bit more generic.

http://4wheelonline.com/Ion_Alloy_Wheels_174_Black.169736.628499

If you are looking at anything with bolts on the edges of the rims check out this thread first:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/p...awful-1186557/

Yellow Jeep Club Member #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper111
Nothing like going topless with some Kid Rock blasting looking down on the rice boys with their dropped Civics wondering what Japanese steel would look like under the Mickey Thompsons.
Dirty Backroads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 12:01 PM   #5
tchaap
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Backroads View Post
I was looking at these, which are even cheaper...

Seems 4wheelonline is offering FREE shipping and discounts on this brand wheel. Wasn't the case last week or I may have been persuaded to buy them.

I was a bit spooked by the gloss black (I prefer a flat black) combined with the machined lip (wasn't sure if it needed polishing or not) but they look cool. Plus the price sure is right.

The ones you like are priced really well too with free shipping. They look similar to the ones I looked at but without the bolt holes and the lettering on the rim. I like things a bit more generic.

If you are looking at anything with bolts on the edges of the rims check out this thread first:

Damn! The 15" is $74 w/ free shipping, that is an outrageous deal!!

I w/ you on the matte black but I might be able to go with gloss for that price. I'll have to look on that site some more.
Unread 03-27-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
Dirty Backroads
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, that's new. When I was wheel shopping about 10 days ago those weren't priced like that. I DEFINITELY would've been swayed by both the price and free shipping. I would've saved about $150! That's more than a few bucks and I probably could've lived with the gloss for that kinda savings.

Just double check the back spacing on the Ion wheels. I recall that I wanted 3.75 backspacing and the Ions were around 3.5". It wouldn't present a problem with my 6" fenders so I was ready to go for it. What stopped me is that I wasn't keen on the gloss and uncertain about the metal edges. After living with polished aluminum almost anything silver was a turn off. I think they are "machined"...whatever that means. At the time they were priced about the same as the 7069s and the shipping wasn't free. But now....

At least others like yourself can benefit. I like 4wheelonline.com. They seem to have some really good deals. I bought from them before and got my 7069s from them. I got the wheels within a few days of when I ordered so I'm satisfied.

Quote:
Nothing like going topless with some Kid Rock blasting looking down on the rice boys with their dropped Civics wondering what Japanese steel would look like under the Mickey Thompsons.
Unread 03-27-2011, 12:11 PM   #7
tchaap
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah, that's new. When I was wheels shopping about 10 days ago those weren't priced like that. I DEFINITELY would've been swayed by both the price and free shipping. I would've saved about $150! That's more than a few bucks and I probably could've lived with the gloss for that kinda savings.

Just double check the back spacing on the Ion wheels. I recall that I wanted 3.75 backspacing and the Ions were around 3.5". It wouldn't present a problem with my 6" fenders so I was ready to go for it. What stopped me is that I wasn't keen on the gloss and uncertain about the metal edges. After living with polished aluminum almost anything silver was a turn off. I think they are "machined"...whatever that means. At the time they were priced about the same as the 7069s and the shipping wasn't free. But now....

At least others like yourself can benefit. I like 4wheelonline.com. They seem to have some really good deals. I bought from them before and got my 7069s from them. I got the wheels within a few days of when I ordered so I'm satisfied.
I was just going to ask if you had ever dealt with them.
What do you think of these:
http://4wheelonline.com/Ion_Alloy_Wh....169736.628499
Unread 03-27-2011, 12:23 PM   #8
Dirty Backroads
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchaap View Post
I was just going to ask if you had ever dealt with them.
What do you think of these:
Twice I've dealt with them. Only thing was that I had to call them to get the tracking number but the wheels were shipped out the next day after I ordered and got to me in a few days. Their warehouse was in Florida and I'm in NJ.

The wheels you like are ok.. They look a lot like the 171 except they are fancier on the edges and I could live without the "Ion Alloy" lettering. That was a real turn off for me.

They remind me of the Pro Comp 8179s..that's why I linked this earlier:

If there are bolts in there you might want to reconsider. I liked the similar 171s, which are similar but without the bling.

Quote:
Unread 03-27-2011, 12:36 PM   #9
tchaap
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Twice I've dealt with them. Only thing was that I had to call them to get the tracking number but the wheels were shipped out the next day after I ordered and got to me in a few days. Their warehouse was in Florida and I'm in NJ.

The wheels you like are ok.. They look a lot like the 171 except they are fancier on the edges and I could live without the "Ion Alloy" lettering. That was a real turn off for me.

They remind me of the Pro Comp 8179s..that's why I linked this earlier:

If there are bolts in there you might want to reconsider. I liked the similar 171s, which are similar but without the bling.
I like the look of the 171's too, I may like them more. Tough decision.
Unread 03-27-2011, 12:43 PM   #10
Dirty Backroads
2005 TJ Wrangler 

They seem about the same price. It's a matter of personal preference. I tend to like my Jeep to look a bit more "generic". You might be different in that respect.

If there are the fake bolts in the 174s to give them that "beadlock" look I'd read that other thread about the 8179s. Sometimes less is more.

Either way you can't go wrong on the price. Free shipping on wheels alone will save you about $50. Any alloy under $80 is pretty damn impressive. I paid $96/wheel (for 5) for my Pro Comps and paid shipping and thought it was a good deal but this beats that by a long shot. I could've saved the cost of the mounting/balancing if I'd gotten the savings for the Ion wheels.

So if you like either, then go for it. I'd be interested in how you like the wheels. I came real close to buying the 171s but the fact that the prices were the same (actually a bit more for the Ions at the time), combined with my concerns about the gloss and metal on the edges of the wheels swayed me to the plainer 7069s. But with these savings I would've gone for the Ions.

Quote:
Unread 03-27-2011, 12:52 PM   #11
tchaap
2008 JK Wrangler 

^
The 7069 is the other wheel I'm considering. No free shipping on that one right now but $50 bucks for shipping isn't a biggie.

I've been reading about the Pro Comp 8179's...its a nice looking wheel but I'm glad to know of the problem, I'll steer clear of it.

I'll post up what I choose and give a opinion.

Thanks
Unread 03-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #12
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

I'm running the ION 171's(15x10's),couldn't find a all black wheel with the specs I needed and the ION's came as close as I could find.They are light and mine at least have a high load rating(2500lbs per wheel).Was not sold on them but a local guy was selling the set I now have for $200 for all 5(brand new) so I bought them.There growing on me.

The cheapest I've found them was in the link below,have used that company a few times and had great service always.

http://www.wheelsforless.com/ion_wheels.aspx
Unread 03-29-2011, 06:58 AM   #13
Dirty Backroads
2005 TJ Wrangler 

They look nice. Not sure how the metal rim sits with me. I hope it resists corrosion. That was my main concern.

The place I got my wheels and linked before is around the same price for 15x10 and has free shipping..for now.

At $200 you practically stole them!

Quote:
Unread 03-29-2011, 07:05 AM   #14
steviej35

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ion alloy 174 Nice wheel for the money

Unread 03-31-2011, 09:35 PM   #15
Mike97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

^^^^ USAJEEPOWNERS!! I think I've seen you around NB, your Jeep looks familiar. I might have even met you at MT's last year.

Anyway, I ended up going with MB Wheels Chaos 5 from Discount Tire. I just went with a package deal from them when I bought my Duratracs. It was the easiest and cheapest way to go. I'm very happy with them, and the 15x7's I bought work great with the 31's, and the 4" BS is perfect.
Mike97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.