Internal Beadlocks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Internal Beadlocks

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 12-02-2010, 03:09 PM   #1
TJnProgress
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Internal Beadlocks

I'm due for tires and have been looking at options with respect to the spare.

One of the options is the Staun Internal Beadlock.
- At just north of $600 for a set of 4, they are more expensive than a spare tire. But if you consider the cost of that 35" spare, the upgraded spare mount, and associated bumper, they aren't too bad.
- Then add in the 5-year warranty, the thought that they will last through a few sets of tires, and the reduced weight/space requirement.
- From what I've read, I could air down lower, and still maintain a better beadlock, because of the 50psi holding the bead in place but without true beadlocks (illegal for road use in CA).
- I kinda prefer not having the spare hanging off the back of my Jeep and really liked the increased visibility out the back, but we all know what putting the spare in the tub does for your packing space.

I did a search and found several references to the Staun product as a recommendation, but none from anyone that had seen them in action or used them on the trail.

What I'm interested in, is actual experience using them, but would also like to hear thoughts and opinions. Don't worry, I'm flame retarded, I mean retardant.

TJnProgress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry, I don't have any experience with Staun beadlocks so I cannot offer any feedback.

I just wanted to suggest that you also look at an alternative that is made by Inner Air Lock:

InnerAirLock, LLC - BeadLocks
Unread 12-02-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Check Noturmailman's build thread. IIRC he's not thrilled and planning on getting rid his.
Unread 12-02-2010, 03:14 PM   #4
DH19922010
2004 LJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/st...wobble-887513/

I used to be interested in them but they sound like too much of a pain.
DH19922010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #5
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DH19922010 View Post
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/st...wobble-887513/

I used to be interested in them but they sound like too much of a pain.
Actually this was the noturmailman's thread I was thinking about, not his build thread. Sorry.
Unread 12-02-2010, 05:40 PM   #6
TJnProgress
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Wow! Very helpful link, thank you. Back to the drawing board...
TJnProgress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 07:12 PM   #7
CJ8Ted
1985 CJ8 

Sounds like you are thinking of not having a spare at all? If this is so, I just wanted to make the comment of what I have seen. I have seen more tires that were ruined (sliced, pinched, hole, ect.) that could not make it home and had to use a spare, then ones that had blown a bead. Most blown beads can be cleaned and reseated in a short amount of time. Spares are needed in my opinion, even if it is a non matching trail spare being close to the same size.

Ted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.