If i bed line my rims will it throw off the balance - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > If i bed line my rims will it throw off the balance

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-13-2010, 08:34 PM   #31
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jforse View Post
Nope just the spray can it comes in smart guy.

I edited the post. This guy^ seems to know all. If you have any questions he can answer all of them, As close to god as us morons will find.

Last edited by KKiowaTJ; 07-13-2010 at 09:00 PM..
KKiowaTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 08:10 AM   #32
jforse
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ View Post
I edited the post. This guy^ seems to know all. If you have any questions he can answer all of them, As close to god as us morons will find.
I never said I know all. I'm sharing what a body shop suggested to me. You were the one who made a smart *** comment to start with. Maybe your trolling. I dont know? You made a statement about how you cant use self etching primer on aluminum. I posted a product that was designed for that purpose.
Unread 07-14-2010, 03:11 PM   #33
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I never said I know all. I'm sharing what a body shop suggested to me. You were the one who made a smart *** comment to start with. Maybe your trolling. I dont know? You made a statement about how you cant use self etching primer on aluminum. I posted a product that was designed for that purpose.

A person told you that stuff works, And your going to believe them? What you posted was aluminum house siding primer. Last i checked you dont paint a house with automotive paint and vice versa. A house sits, Different paint is used. Would you paint a car with dutch boy if they told you it worked?

I have been around auto body and paint my whole life and we have never used home improvement chemicals and paints on vehicles. You dont mix and match chemicals, Thats what screws up most painted items.
But then again, This is a thread about bedlineing wheels. Thats something you would have to do at home with whatever you can get, As the vast majority of people wouldn't do so and thats why theres no need for automotive aluminum etch prime.
That and we both looked at it different and replied different, But in the end who cares. Theres more than one way to do it, And everyone has an opinion
Unread 07-14-2010, 03:16 PM   #34
Green4dr
1998 XJ Cherokee 

go with duplicolor wheel pain thats graphite. i have it and it has little metalic flake things in it that gives it some texture. i didnt do that good of a job spraying it on. but a guy at advance who showed me it did his rims they looked really good.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/98xj-classic-springbreak-makeover-1344754
Green4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #35
JR12321
1996 ZJ 

anybody tried the duplicolor blackout chrome spray stuff for wheels that advance has?
JR12321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 06:22 PM   #36
jforse
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Aluminum Self-Etching primer. Used it many times and does none of what you claim it will do. This was suggested by a local body shop.

Here you go boss:

Amazon.com: SEM Paints (SEM39683) Self Etching Primer - Gray: Home Improvement

Or here:

SEM Products - Catalog
Quote:
Aluminum siding primer, You gonna use a Wagner to apply it too?

I can see where it would be helpful, But if you sandblast an aluminum wheel, It goes porous and regular primer can be used or straight to paint after wiped down with solvent. Never failed yet and never any touch ups needed. But no reason to waste extra money on wheels that will see mud and rocks off road. Keeping the corrosion protected is the best thing you could do. To each his own
Quote:
A person told you that stuff works, And your going to believe them? What you posted was aluminum house siding primer. Last i checked you dont paint a house with automotive paint and vice versa. A house sits, Different paint is used. Would you paint a car with dutch boy if they told you it worked?

I have been around auto body and paint my whole life and we have never used home improvement chemicals and paints on vehicles. You dont mix and match chemicals, Thats what screws up most painted items.
But then again, This is a thread about bedlineing wheels. Thats something you would have to do at home with whatever you can get, As the vast majority of people wouldn't do so and thats why theres no need for automotive aluminum etch prime.
That and we both looked at it different and replied different, But in the end who cares. Theres more than one way to do it, And everyone has an opinion
You do realize the product I linked is for autobody applications right? The description on Amazon is wrong. SEM does not make Home products. Just automotive and Aerospace.

here is the old label:
SEM Paints 39693 Self Etching Primer, Green, Aerosol

and here it is in the new labeled cans right out of there autobody catalog:
sem-self-etching-primer.jpg  
Unread 07-14-2010, 09:29 PM   #37
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah i read through the site didn't go to amazon. Never herd of the company but sounds decent and the product would work. Never said "this" sem product wouldn't.
I'm saying its not needed and pointed out regular run of the mill would have bad effects. You are better off scuffing and rattle caning. You can pay high dollar at a shop to base/clear them, But the same process is used. Just over priced paint and shot out of a gun. Same looks after a couple runs.
No pun intended, I understand you clearly. This stuff will work on galvanized and stainless, I might look into it myself. But no reason to drag it out any further. Good luck

Tags
rims , wheels , paint , bedline , line , liner , balance

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.