If i bed line my rims will it throw off the balance - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > If i bed line my rims will it throw off the balance

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Reply
Unread 07-12-2010, 04:02 PM   #16
freeskier93
Web Wheeler
 
freeskier93's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Longmont, Colorado
Posts: 6,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
and wheels are balanced within 0.25 oz or less typically...if the thickness isn't perfectly even you'll never get the wheels to balance right.
I way overshot 16 ounces. I would say you need 50 ml per wheel, which is roughly 1.5 ounces but because bed liner weighs more, double that and you get about 3 ounces a wheel. I agree that it will cause balancing issues but that's not enough weight to create enough unsprung weight in the drivetrain to matter.

freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 04:14 PM   #17
newracer
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Posts: 2,320
Rustoleum Hammered
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 05:20 PM   #18
Dryseals
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhf56 View Post
aluminum
Don't paint. Aluminum doesn't take paint very well, there's a special process for getting it to stick. Sure they clear coat Aluminum all the time, but that's under controlled conditions and they've work at it for a while.

Steel rims I would paint in a heart beat, maybe not with a bed liner, but it can be done and as long as you can lay it fairly even, I don't think you'll have a balance problem.

Check your local adds and look around. Steel rims are a dime a dozen.
Dryseals is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 08:57 PM   #19
jforse
Web Wheeler
 
jforse's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Duluth, Minnesota
Posts: 2,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
I don't suggest doing this, but to say it's going to add unsprung weight is a bit ridiculous. Your only looking At maybe 3-4 ounces a wheel , at the most.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
and wheels are balanced within 0.25 oz or less typically...if the thickness isn't perfectly even you'll never get the wheels to balance right.


freeskier-

So in the first half of your post you say its rediculous it would add weight, but then you say it adds weight. Then you change your post from 16oz to 3-4oz. after Unlimited04 called you out. Do you know what your talking about? Unlimited04 is right on. If its more than .25oz you will feel it.
__________________
1997 TJ - Build in process.
2004 WJ Freedom Edition 4.7HO
jforse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 08:58 PM   #20
jforse
Web Wheeler
 
jforse's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Duluth, Minnesota
Posts: 2,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryseals View Post
Don't paint. Aluminum doesn't take paint very well, there's a special process for getting it to stick. Sure they clear coat Aluminum all the time, but that's under controlled conditions and they've work at it for a while.

Steel rims I would paint in a heart beat, maybe not with a bed liner, but it can be done and as long as you can lay it fairly even, I don't think you'll have a balance problem.

Check your local adds and look around. Steel rims are a dime a dozen.
Use a self etching primer.
__________________
1997 TJ - Build in process.
2004 WJ Freedom Edition 4.7HO
jforse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 08:59 PM   #21
jforse
Web Wheeler
 
jforse's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Duluth, Minnesota
Posts: 2,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
I way overshot 16 ounces. I would say you need 50 ml per wheel, which is roughly 1.5 ounces but because bed liner weighs more, double that and you get about 3 ounces a wheel. I agree that it will cause balancing issues but that's not enough weight to create enough unsprung weight in the drivetrain to matter.
Any unsprung weight matters. The main point here is the wheels would not be able to be balanced.
__________________
1997 TJ - Build in process.
2004 WJ Freedom Edition 4.7HO
jforse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 02:09 AM   #22
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by ageorgakis View Post
Ever thought of how tough it's going to be to clean those rims?
Right on ^^.

Also, how fugly would bedlined rims look? Uhgg. I'm feeling ill. Blarrrffff.

Last edited by CB3; 07-13-2010 at 02:42 AM..
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 03:37 AM   #23
AlexGeorgakis
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB3 View Post
Right on ^^.

Also, how fugly would bedlined rims look? Uhgg. I'm feeling ill. Blarrrffff.
Looks are subjective. But cleaning mud off bedliner is next to impossible. The rims will look dirty even after hours of scrubbing!
__________________
My HEMI build thread
AlexGeorgakis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 01:20 PM   #24
Dryseals
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by jforse View Post
Use a self etching primer.
On ferrous metals, self etching works fine, aluminum is not the same. They make a special etching solution for aluminum. Aluminum forms an oxide that protects it from corrosion, that also keeps paint from sticking. You have to remove this first, passivate and then paint with a primer made for adhesion to aluminum. It's tricky.........
Dryseals is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 02:09 PM   #25
freeskier93
Web Wheeler
 
freeskier93's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Longmont, Colorado
Posts: 6,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by jforse View Post
freeskier-

So in the first half of your post you say its rediculous it would add weight, but then you say it adds weight. Then you change your post from 16oz to 3-4oz. after Unlimited04 called you out. Do you know what your talking about? Unlimited04 is right on. If its more than .25oz you will feel it.
Sorry for the confusion, I was going off visualization but when I realized 16 ounces was equal to one pound, thats when I went out into the garage and looked at a paint measuring cup. That is why I modified it, then explained in a later post.

Like I have said, I agree it will cause balancing issues but an added 3 or 4 ounces a wheel isn't going to be noticeable.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 04:35 PM   #26
KKiowaTJ
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Iowa
Posts: 3,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by jforse View Post
Use a self etching primer.

That stuff wont stick to it any better than water based paint. Etching primer has acid in it, Which seeps in and protects the steel meant to be sprayed on. It will make for a big mess it you put it on aluminum. It will pool and never be consistent, Unless your talking store bought cheap stuff thats "says" etching but is just green primer.

If you paint or bed line your wheels it will dull and flake off in less than a year. I used to use the duplicolor bed liner for everything, But it dont hold color and chips and cracks as soon as the sun hits it a few times. Its best purpose is for a jeep is on your cage, Tub and chassis.

Have you ever used this stuff? More than one can consistently spraying? I have and the pattern, Spray volume and tips are always different. One can will lay nice and textured and the other can will flow it smooth and it will run.

If you do decide to use it on your wheels, Keep you can 10+ inches away from the wheel and dont go back over to touch up, Thats where you will have heavy spots, Wait for the next pass. Use a black primer so when it chips it dont look as bad.

When your done lining them, Take the wheels and have them balanced alone. Then have your tires mounted and balanced. But only bad thing is, Every time you want to touch them up, You will have to break them down to re-coat them and balance them again. Too much time and effort for something that might last a wheeling trip. IMO rattle can them or powder coat them. Good luck
__________________
YJ, TJ, XJ, ZJ..... Too many Jeeps!
KKiowaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 06:06 PM   #27
pinstripefan90
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Grahamsville, New York
Posts: 68
unless you hammered one spot of the rims w/ undercoat or w/e your using it won't screw w/ your balance much, getting the balance of your wheels checked afterwords is not a bad idea, if i was to undercoat my rims i would check the balance one day after work but i wouldn't undercoat them for the fact that undercoat is impossible to clean and after having exposure to dirt and salt and all that **** it never looks the same...think of it this way too, if you did undercoat and didn't balance them you most likely couldn't notice a difference in ride, its a jeep not a mercedes or some other gay car, these things ride rough from the moment they are delivered to the dealer...trust me, they don't ride bad but its not perfect and it doesn't bug me any...either way its your jeep but i wouldn't worry about balancing unless you personally felt a difference in it and i wouldn't undercoat my rims...rustoleum is a wonderful product.

- Jake
pinstripefan90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 08:26 PM   #28
jforse
Web Wheeler
 
jforse's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Duluth, Minnesota
Posts: 2,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ View Post
That stuff wont stick to it any better than water based paint. Etching primer has acid in it, Which seeps in and protects the steel meant to be sprayed on. It will make for a big mess it you put it on aluminum. It will pool and never be consistent, Unless your talking store bought cheap stuff thats "says" etching but is just green primer.

Aluminum Self-Etching primer. Used it many times and does none of what you claim it will do. This was suggested by a local body shop.


Here you go boss:

Amazon.com: SEM Paints (SEM39683) Self Etching Primer - Gray: Home Improvement

Or here:

http://semproducts.com/Catalog.asp?prod=139
__________________
1997 TJ - Build in process.
2004 WJ Freedom Edition 4.7HO
jforse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 09:17 PM   #29
KKiowaTJ
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Iowa
Posts: 3,533
Aluminum siding primer, You gonna use a Wagner to apply it too?

I can see where it would be helpful, But if you sandblast an aluminum wheel, It goes porous and regular primer can be used or straight to paint after wiped down with solvent. Never failed yet and never any touch ups needed. But no reason to waste extra money on wheels that will see mud and rocks off road. Keeping the corrosion protected is the best thing you could do. To each his own
__________________
YJ, TJ, XJ, ZJ..... Too many Jeeps!
KKiowaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 09:26 PM   #30
jforse
Web Wheeler
 
jforse's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Duluth, Minnesota
Posts: 2,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ View Post
Aluminum siding primer, You gonna use a Wagner to apply it too?

I can see where it would be helpful, But if you sandblast an aluminum wheel, It goes porous and regular primer can be used or straight to paint after wiped down with solvent. Never failed yet and never any touch ups needed. But no reason to waste extra money on wheels that will see mud and rocks off road. Keeping the corrosion protected is the best thing you could do. To each his own

Nope just the spray can it comes in smart guy.
__________________
1997 TJ - Build in process.
2004 WJ Freedom Edition 4.7HO
jforse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
rims , wheels , paint , bedline , line , liner , balance

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.