ICON wheels on TJ - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 12-15-2015, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
ThomasSW
1998 TJ Wrangler 

ICON wheels on TJ

Hey.
I've been looking for a nice 16" wheel for my TJ and was looking for a set of MOAB's.
However MOAB's are scarce here in Norway as the Rubicon was never really offered. However there seems to be an abundance of xj wheels on the market.
Has anyone here tried Icon's on their TJ? Will they turn 31's without rubbing? What do you guys think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-15-2015, 07:38 PM
Unlimitedlou

2012 JK Wrangler 

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

2005 Unlimited Rubicon, too much junk to list!-sold
2012 JKU Orange Crush
post #3 of 13 Old 12-16-2015, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
ThomasSW
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nice TJ. Mine is bone stock, and with the Norwegian DMV as strict on modifications as they are it'll probably stay that way. You don't think the Icons will work? Back spacing is approx the same as canyons 5.25". My Jeep has the stock grizzleys at the moment. Think they are 5.5" bs if I'm not mistaken.
So the question is, is .25" enough to stop rubbing with 31" wheels.
I've tried searching for treads about the Icons, but it seems few have tried them on TJ's an written about it.
Had I been back in the states I'd simply find some other wheel but here stock wheels are the best bet, I guess.
post #4 of 13 Old 12-17-2015, 04:57 AM
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Icons are fine. They're 16x7 with 5.25" backspacing. All YJ, TJ, XJ, ZJ, KJ wheels are interchangeable (with a slight backspacing difference that is almost always insignificant regarding KJ wheels).

I have no knowledge of whether or not a 31" tire on a 16x7 wheel with 5.25" bs would rub or not. I'm an XJ guy, not a TJ guy.

Build Thread -- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/whats-chrokeese-build-thread-2525690/
post #5 of 13 Old 12-19-2015, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
ThomasSW
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for your reply.
I've been told several different specs for the wheels, but 5.25 bs is what most agree on.
Might just chance it and buy a set of icons and try them out.

A friend of mine conveniently has a set of bfg's in 245/75 16 which are only slightly smaller and narrowerthan most 31's.
If i get this done I'll make sure to report how it goes:blush:
post #6 of 13 Old 12-20-2015, 05:25 PM
xjknight
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Icons are fine. They're 16x7 with 5.25" backspacing. All YJ, TJ, XJ, ZJ, KJ wheels are interchangeable (with a slight backspacing difference that is almost always insignificant regarding KJ wheels).

I have no knowledge of whether or not a 31" tire on a 16x7 wheel with 5.25" bs would rub or not. I'm an XJ guy, not a TJ guy.
You may know the answer to my XJ tire question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjknight View Post
Stock 16x7 with 5.25" back spacing. Whats the widest tire I can run (without spidertraxx spacers) before having rubbing issues at full lock?

I thought it was 9.5" but I drink a lot so my memory isn't what it used to be.

-XJ- 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Gone
CF: Begrüßen Sie Hitler.. WF: Самый прекрасный коммунизм.. Pirate4x4: Oh Canada.. JF: Fail Rated
post #7 of 13 Old 12-21-2015, 04:29 AM
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjknight View Post
You may know the answer to my XJ tire question?
I don't actually. I'm a narrow tire guy for multiple reasons, so I've never had any interest in having wide tires. As such, I've never learned the limits in regards to width.

Build Thread -- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/whats-chrokeese-build-thread-2525690/
post #8 of 13 Old 12-25-2015, 05:07 PM
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Most 245/75R16 are same height as most 31x10.5R15. 30.5" tall for both (in ATs, I don't know about MTs).

The difference is the width of 9.6" vs 10.5". Either width is good for general purpose use on and off road, but the 9.6 (245) is better on Winter roads and wet highways, and better for gas mileage. The 10.5" wide is better on sand and boulders. Both are good for mud, which is better for mud depends on how firm the mud. They're equal for trails. IMO.

Personally, I prefer the 245/75R16 in a load C tire for my climate and terrains.

I have personally confirmed that a 245/75R16 AT on an Icon wheel fits my XJ with stock bumpstops and no trimming. I did have to adjust the steerstops a tiny bit, but it still turns plenty sharp.

I know for a fact that a stock TJ can fit a 31x10.5R15 on a Ravine wheel (15x8, 5.5 BS). So I'm certain a 245/75R16 on an Icon wheel (16x7, 5.25 BS) would fit a TJ. Go for it.

I suggest a 245/75R16 load C tire. Here are some that I know are available in load C: Duratrac, Cooper AT3, Cooper ATW, Mastercraft AXT, Hercules AT2, and there may be others.

Note: All those are 30.5 x 9.6, except the Duratrac which is 30.5 x 10. The Duratrac is wider than the others, but might still fit, but I can't guarantee it. You could have tire store do a test fitting. I know the other tires I mentioned will fit.

Warning: I often edit my posts a few times to get them complete, or to correct errors.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-26-2015, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
ThomasSW
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
Most 245/75R16 are same height as most 31x10.5R15. 30.5" tall for both (in ATs, I don't know about MTs).

The difference is the width of 9.6" vs 10.5". Either width is good for general purpose use on and off road, but the 9.6 (245) is better on Winter roads and wet highways, and better for gas mileage. The 10.5" wide is better on sand and boulders. Both are good for mud, which is better for mud depends on how firm the mud. They're equal for trails. IMO.

Personally, I prefer the 245/75R16 in a load C tire.

I have personally confirmed that a 245/75R16 AT on an Icon wheel fits my XJ with stock bumpstops and no trimming. I did have to adjust the steerstops a tiny bit, but it still turns plenty sharp.

I know for a fact that a stock TJ can fit a 31x10.5R15 on a Ravine wheel (15x8, 5.5 BS). So I'm certain a 245/75R16 on an Icon wheel (16x7, 5.25 BS) would fit a TJ. Go for it.

I suggest a 245/75R16 load C tire. Here are some that I know are available in load C: Duratrac, Cooper AT3, Cooper ATW, Mastercraft AXT, Mastercraft CT, Hercules AT2, and there may be others.

Note: All those are 30.5 x 9.6, except the Duratrac which is 30.5 x 10. The Duratrac is wider than the others, but might still fit, though I can't guarantee it. You could have tire store do a test fitting. I'm sure the other tires I mentioned will fit.
Thanks for a great reply! This sounds very reaffirming. Now I just need to find a good set of Icons. The ones I was considering were sold..
post #10 of 13 Old 12-27-2015, 08:57 PM
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'd like to find a good set of Icons myself. Mine are damaged from rock crawling (I bought them used and they were already damaged). It's difficult to find a good set of them in USA. They're no longer available new.

Warning: I often edit my posts a few times to get them complete, or to correct errors.
post #11 of 13 Old 12-27-2015, 09:03 PM
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Just make sure you get 245 in load C. A load 245 in load E would ride to rough.

post #12 of 13 Old 01-15-2016, 12:08 PM
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I just bought 5 new Icons from eBay $125 each.

Edited in Later: The Ebay seller was a liar. The Icon wheels are slightly/lightly used, but in good condition. However, his description claimed they were new in the box and had only been out of the box to take photos of them for Ebay, but they've clearly had tires mounted to them and been mounted on a vehicle before.

The wheels are still worth using and pretty good, but I paid more than I would have it he told me the truth. Now I'm going to get a partial refund from him or destroy his reputation on Ebay, his choice. I hate liars.

Though it's better than the prior time when I bough used wheels from a Jeep Forum member via JF classifieds. That guy sold me used wheels he claimed where in good condition other than a few minor scratches. They were scratched, gouged, and every wheel has one to two flat spots on the rim from being dropped when a tire wasn't mounted, or perhaps from rock crawling abuse? One wheel had the rim dented inward and wouldn't even hold air. I had to sell those wheels for scrap to a recycler.

post #13 of 13 Old 01-17-2016, 09:03 PM
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

According to some online sources I just read that Icon wheels came stock on some TJs and LJs. I don't know if that's correct, but I'm sure they fit TJs/LJs just fine.

If possible buy in person so you can visually inspect before buying. If that's not possible, then buy through Ebay or Amazon so you have some protection, or at least a way to get some revenge, if they rip you off. Craigslist is a good way to buy wheels locally, if there are any for sale in your area, because with Craigslist you can inspect the wheels before buying.

Buying wheels from 4x4 forums is a terrible idea as most people beat the crap out of their stuff and their honesty is suspect if you don't know them, and there are little or no consequences if they rip you off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.