I need an education - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > I need an education

Old Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble Fairleads

Unread 08-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
ryanservant
2011 JK Wrangler 

I need an education

Hi guys,
I just traded in my sport unlimited and picked up a 2011 Sahara unlimited that someone has pimped out a bit.
They did some sort of lift, as well as added these rims and tires:

http://www.dickcepek.com/tires.php?i...&type=LT&bnr=y

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92900_08XX_A_PG.htm

My question is this, if I like the rims, but think the tires are way too big for me, do you think I could have the tires taken Off the rim, sell what's left of the mud country tires, and buy some normal looking tires?

Would normal looking tires look tiny with that lift?
I can upload pictures if you guys think that would help.
http://i.imgur.com/rUrRImL.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/rUrRImL.jpg

If you think selling the mud country tires is a good idea, how do I go about explaining to potential buyers how much tread is left?
Thanks for all the insight.

Last edited by ryanservant; 08-17-2013 at 09:22 PM..
ryanservant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You could get away with reducing your tire size by an inch or two before your rig looks like a freak show. I wouldn't worry about measuring tire depth. Just take some good pics of the tread and place an ad on craigslist.
Duck Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
ryanservant
2011 JK Wrangler 

So the tires I have now are LT315/75R16.

Does the 315 show the width from the rim to the tread?
ryanservant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

That's about a 35" x 12.9" tire. Take a look at 285 75 16, 305 75 16, and 255 85 16. You can use a metric tire calculator to convert those sizes to inches
Duck Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

315 is the section width in millimeters. 75 is the aspect ratio; the sidewall height is 75% of the section width. and 16 is the wheel diameter.

Divide with by 25.4 to get width in inches
315/25.4 ~ 12.4 inches

Multiply width by aspect ratio to get sidewall height.
12.4*.75= 9.3 inches

To get the height multiply the sidewall height by 2 (to account for the sidewall on each side of the wheel) and add the wheel height
9.3*2+16=34.6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.