Hubcentric or Not? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Hubcentric or Not?

Complete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.comEnd of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 09-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #1
BierBurner

2011 JK Wrangler 

Hubcentric or Not?

So I have always bought hubcentric rims. I am looking at some Pro Comp 7036 Rims. I am leery to buying them because they are not hubcentric. Is there any disadvantage to running this rim on a JK?

Thanks for any input,

Uriah

Unread 09-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #2
Icarus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Get hub rings with them. Most shops will offer them if you buy their wheels/tires...
Unread 09-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
BierBurner

2011 JK Wrangler 

Cool. I am buying them via private sale. I will have to ask him to make sure to include the rings.
Unread 09-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I think you will find the majority of aftermarket wheels for this market are only lugcentric. As long as you pay attention to what you are doing when you put them on should not have troubles, even without a hub ring.
Unread 09-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I prefer hubcentric wheels when I can get them, but for Jeeps that limits you to stock wheels, but there aee many stock wheels to choose from. This is one reason I prefer stock wheels. Another reason I prefer stock wheels is I prefer stock back spacing.

However, when I had aftermarket wheels on an LJ, they were lugcentric and it was not a problem.

I know lugcentric can be a problem since some report problems, but I never had a problem. I think most people never have a problem. If it's a problem or a concern, get the hubcentric rings someone mentioned.

I think a bigger concern is back spacing. I suggest you keep the BS as close as possible to stock that will still fit the tires you want. To low BS causes problems, IMO.
Unread 09-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
1993sahara
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Where can you get that's hub centric rings? I was told I need them for my wheels but laughed at the dealer when they said that. The wheels are ultra Motorsport, came on the jeep
l--L --[]lllll[]-

()_) ()_)-o-)_)
1993sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Its my understanding that all jeeps were lugcentric until the JK. There is no reason to perseverate on hubcentricity like the JK crowd does. If you know how to properly mount a wheel, and it is surprising how many don't, then there will absolutely be no difference.
Unread 10-01-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis
Its my understanding that all jeeps were lugcentric until the JK. There is no reason to perseverate on hubcentricity like the JK crowd does. If you know how to properly mount a wheel, and it is surprising how many don't, then there will absolutely be no difference.
My TJ utilized hub centric wheels in its stock form. I would assume all XJ, WJ, and KJs were the same as long as they were equipped with aluminum wheels. I don't know about the stock steel wheels but I have a feeling that they were the same.

Hub centric wheels and wheel mounting surfaces have been around for decades and for good reason. It sure does help out the people who don't know any better as you mentioned. It's also easier to ensure that the wheel will be centered on the hub when you take machining tolerances and manufacturability into account.

I think AEV is making wheels that are hub centric to the vehicle they're designed for. Not a whole lot of other wheel manufactures are doing the same as far as I know.

With that said, I've had good luck with lug centric wheels on my TJ.
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #9
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

All the aluminum YJ, XJ, TJ, ZJ, WJ, and other GC wheels I've seen, and KJ wheels are hubcentric. Probably earlier models of Jeep aluminum wheels too.

The only exception (TIKO) is the Jeep Alcoa wheels that came on the 2004 Rocky Mountain Edition TJ. It is lugcentric.

I've only looked at the Jeep aluminum wheels.

I don't know about the Jeep steel wheels.

I prefer hubcentric wheels when I can get them.
Unread 10-03-2013, 04:56 AM   #10
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
All the aluminum YJ, XJ, TJ, ZJ, WJ, and other GC wheels I've seen, and KJ wheels are hubcentric. Probably earlier models of Jeep aluminum wheels too.

I don't know about the Jeep steel wheels.

I prefer hubcentric wheels when I can get them.
This. Many people use lug-centric wheels with no problems (there are rings you can get to simulate hub-centricity as well), but hub-centric seems to me to be the smarter/safer way to go.
Unread 10-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #11
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

hubcentric are no safer then lugcentric. vehicles have been lugcentric for decades.
Unread 10-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #12
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
hubcentric are no safer then lugcentric. vehicles have been lugcentric for decades.
When he said "safer" he meant hubcentric is a sure thing.
Unread 10-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #13
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The vast majority of OEM wheels from all auto makers are hubcentric. That includes Jeep.

Why are most OEM wheels hubcentric? Because hubcentric are the most reliable and trouble free.

Why are centering rings made for lugcentric wheels? Because sometimes lugcentric have centering problems.

===

If the OP wants hubcentric wheels with less BS than stock Jeep wheels offer, look at Ford Explorer and Ranger wheels. The come in a variety of different BS choices (each with less BS than stock Jeep wheels.

So with stock Jeep and Ford hubcentric wheels to choose from, that gives Jeep YJ, MJ, XJ, TJ, ZJ, KJ owners a lot of styles and BS choices of hubcentric wheels.
Unread 10-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #14
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
So with stock Jeep and Ford hubcentric wheels to choose from, that gives Jeep YJ, MJ, XJ, TJ, ZJ, KJ owners a lot of styles and BS choices of hubcentric wheels.
Nothing in that offering would meet my (and I know many others) needs without even getting in to what I might like or not. You are making this a much bigger issue than it is. Lugcentric wheels are fine.
Unread 10-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #15
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Nothing in that offering would meet my (and I know many others) needs without even getting in to what I might like or not. You are making this a much bigger issue than it is. Lugcentric wheels are fine.
Lugcentric are usually fine. I'd buy lugcentric if no hubcentric choices met my needs. I bought lugcentric wheels for my LJ and had no problems.

However, someone earlier posted that most stock Jeep wheels are lugcentric. That is incorrect. Most stock wheels are hubcentric.

That same person also posted there are no advanatges to hubcentric. Well, usually it doesn't matter, but occasionally it does.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.