How much runout is too much? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > How much runout is too much?

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 08-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

How much runout is too much?

I have some Falken Rocky Mountain AT/s tires (285/70/17 on JK Moabs). They have a bit of runout, and I know it is the tires because I "tested" them by placing each of the tires on the back axle, putting that on jackstands, and finally idling the Jeep in 1st gear.

The rim didn't have a hop.
The line near the tire bead didn't have a hop.
The tread has a hop to it, about 4mm (something like 1/8").

I have about 27,000 km (17,000 miles in American) on these.

What does the JF Brain Trust say is acceptable?

I know the obvious answer is "if you can feel a vibe then it's too much" but is there a spec somewhere? It seems that lowering tire pressure made the hop less apparent. Is that as good as it gets when it comes to mitigation techniques?

hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
WXman
2001 WJ 

From what I've read, anything over 15 on the road force numbers is getting bad. When I ran 285/75-16 Falkens, I fought with them constantly to keep them balanced. Never could get a totally smooth ride out of them. Those tires are just too heavy and have too much thickness to them. That's a good thing on the trail but it sucks for the highway.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I think in this case it's just a Falken thing. That being said, they were inexpensive compared to other tires.
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.