How Much Does Siping Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > How Much Does Siping Help

Introducing MONSTALINERÖ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wFLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRI

Unread 10-28-2014, 09:57 PM   #1
christensent
2014 JK Wrangler 

How Much Does Siping Help

I have a '14 rubicon in the Northwest where it rains every day for the entire winter, and those stock tires are going to kill me. I drove home at night in rain the other night and even going 20 under on the interstate, hydroplaned three times once completely losing control and swerving through the lane for a few seconds.

I'm planning on getting 35x12.5's (already have 2.5" lift installed). I offroad quite a bit and will be using it in deep snow, so I really need MT's. But first priority simply has to be not dying. It's pretty much only a recreation vehicle since I have no commute, but it has to get me to the trail and home!

I've been looking at either the Baja MTZ or Open Country MT since they come at least somewhat factory siped. I'm also not opposed to adding a bit more siping myself.

Does this really make a significant difference over the unsiped stock mudtires? Or is it only going to be ever so slightly better and still suck bad in the rain? I know they're better when siped, but nobody really talks about just how much better.

christensent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2014, 09:10 AM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sipping will help alot. Although going to 12.5" wide tires will not help.
Unread 10-29-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Siping gives a huge improvement on wet roads, and especially Winter roads. Like 10x better on ice, and maybe 3x better on wet pavement. Those numbers are subjective, but that's my opinion based on my experiences.

However, the other issue is tire width. Narrow tires are better on wet roads and Winter roads because they don't hydroplane as much, and they dig in better for traction on Winter roads, and especially because they don't side slip as much on Winter roads.

The narrower the better. The more sipes the better.

Can you get a better tire in 255/75R17 or sipe one?

I live in the same region, climate, and terrain you do.
Unread 10-29-2014, 01:28 PM   #4
ChrisHager

2004 WJ 

Have a look at this video:

Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2014, 01:45 PM   #5
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

That's an awesome video.
Unread 10-29-2014, 10:21 PM   #6
christensent
2014 JK Wrangler 

That video is awesome! Makes me think I'll be able to get by if I sipe some mud tires. I'll do it myself so they don't get trashed lugs from a siping machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
The narrower the better. The more sipes the better.

Can you get a better tire in 255/75R17 or sipe one?
That's the same size I have now, I want more diameter for better clearance and performance, and more width for deep snow performance (which is my actual application of this jeep). Unfortunately I know these are both worse on road.
Unread 10-30-2014, 12:23 AM   #7
AntiPrius
2000 TJ Wrangler 

That video is far from awesome. It compares a slick strip of rubber, and I know of no one that uses slicks on their Jeep, to one, not even with sipes, but one with deep cuts. That video is a joke and I hope other than the last two posters, well I should say last 3, everyone else give this much more thought as to what they really saw happen.
AntiPrius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2014, 08:09 AM   #8
christensent
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiPrius View Post
That video is far from awesome. It compares a slick strip of rubber, and I know of no one that uses slicks on their Jeep, to one, not even with sipes, but one with deep cuts. That video is a joke and I hope other than the last two posters, well I should say last 3, everyone else give this much more thought as to what they really saw happen.
Although not identical cases, it does show that for a flat strip of rubber (effectively one lug of a mud tire), siping that lug will cause it to gain vastly better traction. Since it's merely a bunch of these lugs in contact with the ground, I would argue that actually yes, the video does mean a lot.
Unread 10-31-2014, 12:12 PM   #9
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I wish the guy had used a little fish scale to pull with. Then the difference would have been quantified with numbers.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2014, 04:29 PM   #10
Hammond1913

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
Fascinating.
Hammond1913 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2014, 05:13 PM   #11
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45║ 36.663' W 123║ 20.935', Oregon
Boat deck shoe soles are siped and they absolutely work.
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2014, 07:57 AM   #12
bbacus
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Don't sipe your MT's

If you really need water/snow traction buy the appropriate designed tires. Siping is primarily for snow traction, where water traction is done both with siping and tread designed to move the water out from under the tire.....look at Bridgestone Blizzaks if you need this type of tire.
bbacus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2014, 08:03 AM   #13
ChrisHager

2004 WJ 

I understand (and agree with) buying the appropriate tires for the situation but for vehicles that see occasional street use, siped mud tires are perfectly fine. Here's a snippet of a post from my J-10's build thread. Mind you, my J-10 does better in 2WD (rear) in snow than my WJ does in 2WD (rear). My J-10 has siped knockoff Maxxis Bighorns. My WJ has DuraTracs.

As you can see, they only sipe the center tread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
Also, for those who are curious, I snapped a few pictures of the siping I had done last fall. The front and rear were done the same. I think the rears show more wear as they're the drive tires. I probably should rotate them to keep everything even.

Rear:

Front:

Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2014, 08:46 AM   #14
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The problem of having the absolute wrong rubber on a tire, the exact opposite of what works on slippery surfaces is not affected by siping. I think its a "feel good" measure that means nothing in actual practice. And, certainly for Washington State in the winter it won't begin to make you safer.
Unread 11-14-2014, 11:13 AM   #15
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I had a set of old style Goodyear MTRs that I had siped during winter months. I noticed a difference.

I also had a set of Mud Grapplers siped. Did not notice a difference with them.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.