How-to: Mount tires on beadlock wheels. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > How-to: Mount tires on beadlock wheels.

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 04-13-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

How-to: Mount tires on beadlock wheels.

Figured I'd do this for JF as there is a lot of questions on them.

I'm installing 40" Swamper LTBs on 17" Allied Beadlock wheels. Here's the basic steps to install them. I won't go into great detail concerning torquing pattern as you need to go by what the manufacturer of your wheel says. Mine is a crossing pattern like 12, 6, 3, 9, then one over from each of those in that order, etc.

Shaynea was awesome and got a bunch of pics of the beadlock install process:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2009, 09:18 PM   #2
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

After you're done unpacking all your goodies, now it's time to pull the valvestem through. I can do it w/ a pair of side-cutters without galling the threads because I'm crazy awesome like that. A valvestem installing tool is quite nice to have but I'm not about to go out and buy one for 4 wheels.

Now the fun part... lay the tire down over the rim(note: lubing the inner bead w/ soapy water works wonders, I did this one dry as it had a bit of goo left from the tire forming process):

Now hump it into place:

Until you achieve victory:

Then I moved everything over a bucket to make everything easier for bolting the beadlock ring on:

Start gathering bolts. Chances are you'll need 2-4 longer bolts to get everything started. I had some longer bolts but they were a bit too long, I just put washers under them to make them usable.

Quote:
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
Unread 04-13-2009, 09:25 PM   #3
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My "starter" bolts compared to 2 of the supplied beadlock bolts:

Before that if you're putting any balancing beads in, now is the time to do so. I measured out 14oz of steel BBs for each.

Started:

Keep in mind to ensure the tire is nice and centered in the ring.

Note I used an impact to get them all started and to speed things up(not recommended by manufacturer). I learned from the first wheel about how far down the bolts need to go so I wouldn't go past. I DID do everything by hand on the first wheel. Always do the final torquing w/ a torque wrench in the manufacturer's recommended pattern. I did mine to 15 ft-lbs(spec is 12-15 ft-lbs).

I still need to do the final torquing about 2 more times as my back called it quits for tonight, but you basically do that 3-4 times total. Then check it again of course. This is because you are compressing rubber. Tighten one bolt, and it loosens about 4 more. Eventually you'll get to the point where everything is in the 12-15 ft-lb spec and you can call it good.

Air up the tire and check for leaks. I'll recommend airing it up while standing because sometimes the inner bead seating can be violent. On some car wheels it has enough force to shoot the entire wheel/tire off the ground.

Quote:
Currently Jeepless.
Unread 04-14-2009, 08:02 AM   #4
BlackBellamy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Need more pics of the carton from different angles
The top and doors on this vehicle are designed only for protection against the elements. Do not rely on the top and doors to contain occupants within the vehicle or to protect against injury during an accident. Wear seatbelts at all times.
BlackBellamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2009, 08:17 PM   #5
xjay1999
2007 JK Wrangler 

Beadlocks

Very nice writeup,well done, good pics.Tires and wheels look great! I just find one problem with your build,why steel BB's? They will rustout in time and turn to dust+ the noise factor when they drop and hit the rim.Whynot airsoft pellets? I have 35/15.50/15 TSL/SX'S and MRT 10" beadlocks with 20oz. green airsofts in each and they work great.No rust,lower noise factor(still some though) No balance issuses at all. I hope they workout for you.
2011Ram 2Dr. OutDoorsman Deep Water Blue 4x4
xjay1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2009, 08:31 PM   #6
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I think 14oz of airsoft pellets would be something around 4000-5000 per wheel. Having that many and possibly not needing all 14 oz I THINK would cause some pellets fighting for a certain spot and not balance as a result. Less balancing media volume-wise I think would be more tolerant to over-filling.

They're zinc-coated so they won't rust out immediately. Even once that coating wears off, them being constantly rustled about should keep most rust from building up.

The noise won't bother me... I'm driving 40" Swampers and a cut up Jeep

Quote:
Currently Jeepless.
Unread 09-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #7
BobbyG750
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Im going to use airsoft bb's. The .20gram ones are good. I was able to make 5 14oz ziplock bags with two of the 5,000 count containers and had a few left over.

BobbyG750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2009, 03:31 AM   #8
reesemoe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Great write up, nice to see how it was done, dont they have a ballancing sand too?

www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/building-roxy-860189/
reesemoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2009, 10:38 AM   #9
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reesemoe View Post
Great write up, nice to see how it was done, dont they have a ballancing sand too?
Thanks!

And yeah, it's called Equal Balancing Powder IIRC. I chose not to use it because if you get any moisture in the tire I imagine it will clump up and not be as effective. Also don't want a white cloud of powder to cover me when I air down

Quote:
Currently Jeepless.
Unread 09-07-2010, 08:51 PM   #10
jebnmikki
2006 KJ Liberty 

I have 35's been told 10.5 oz of steel or copper BB's per tire, is that the right weight and amount for the 35's and bead locks? or should I get 14oz. thanks Jeff

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.