How Measure Wheel Width? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > How Measure Wheel Width?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-11-2014, 09:09 PM   #1
3X4X4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

How Measure Wheel Width?

I think I am doing this correct, but just to make sure. Is the advertised wheel width taken on the inside bead surface, bead to bead from the minimum distance between bead or is from outside edge to outside edge?

The reason I ask, these wheels I inherited I have assumed were 15X10 but if I place a tape (tire is mounted) through the wheel and eye ball it to what I think is close to the inside bead minimum radius then it measures about eight. But if I go outside to outside it is 10? These are steel wheels.

Thank you.

3X4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2014, 09:19 PM   #2
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Look here.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...jsp?techid=101
Unread 03-12-2014, 08:04 PM   #3
Scrmngchicken
2001 WJ 

Depends on the manufacturer. Some measure on the outside rim flange, some on the inside.

The outside is the true width of the rim. The inside should be used when selecting certain tire sizes, as too much tire on a too narrow of a rim will cause it to take on a lightbulb shape and wear the centers out.
Scrmngchicken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2014, 10:25 PM   #4
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrmngchicken View Post
Depends on the manufacturer. Some measure on the outside rim flange, some on the inside.

The outside is the true width of the rim. The inside should be used when selecting certain tire sizes, as too much tire on a too narrow of a rim will cause it to take on a lightbulb shape and wear the centers out.
I've never seen wheel width measured to the outside edges or anyone referring to that measurement as the wheel width, other than those who are misinformed when trying to sell wheels.

I'm confused by your use of the term "true width". I'd instead call it the false width.

Can you show an example of a manufacturer who does this?
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2014, 08:32 PM   #5
Scrmngchicken
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
I've never seen wheel width measured to the outside edges or anyone referring to that measurement as the wheel width, other than those who are misinformed when trying to sell wheels.

I'm confused by your use of the term "true width". I'd instead call it the false width.

Can you show an example of a manufacturer who does this?
Weld Wheel used to measure on the outside rim flange when dealing with widths. Cragar did the same on their aluminum rims. It's not all that common anymore.

My usage of "true width" has to do with some manufacturers still measuring outside width rather than on the inside bead area. "True width" as in that's really what to measure when selecting a specific tire size.
Unread 03-13-2014, 10:52 PM   #6
3X4X4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Well, now, that is clear as mud?

I am thinking that width of a wheel is measured to the inside of the bead radius.

J
3X4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2014, 11:16 PM   #7
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3X4X4 View Post
Well, now, that is clear as mud?

I am thinking that width of a wheel is measured to the inside of the bead radius.

J
Yes, I agree, I thought this was contradicting:

Quote:
... The inside should be used when selecting certain tire sizes, as too much tire on a too narrow of a rim will cause it to take on a lightbulb shape and wear the centers out.
Quote:
...My usage of "true width" has to do with some manufacturers still measuring outside width rather than on the inside bead area. "True width" as in that's really what to measure when selecting a specific tire size.
Unread 03-14-2014, 06:58 PM   #8
Scrmngchicken
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Yes, I agree, I thought this was contradicting:

Let make it simple:

You know the dimensions printed on the side of a wheel box? As in "17x9" or 16x8"? Well, some manufacturers, when they make a 17x7.5, it will measure 17x8 when being set up on a balancer. Why? Because when dealing with tire sizes, you measure it against the inner bead width. When dealing with overall dimensions, such as when the assembly is getting balanced, you go with the outer rim flange dimensions.

Some manufactures, in knowing this tidbit, will sometimes advertise the outer number, or inner number, depending on the application.

Companies that market towards the offroad community sometimes will advertise the outer rim flange measurements in their rims because it's easier to sell a 18x8 than a 16x7.5. Blame it on a largely ignorant customer base.
Unread 03-14-2014, 08:42 PM   #9
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Let make it simple:

You know the dimensions printed on the side of a wheel box? As in "17x9" or 16x8"? Well, some manufacturers, when they make a 17x7.5, it will measure 17x8 when being set up on a balancer. Why? Because when dealing with tire sizes, you measure it against the inner bead width. When dealing with overall dimensions, such as when the assembly is getting balanced, you go with the outer rim flange dimensions.

Some manufactures, in knowing this tidbit, will sometimes advertise the outer number, or inner number, depending on the application.

Companies that market towards the offroad community sometimes will advertise the outer rim flange measurements in their rims because it's easier to sell a 18x8 than a 16x7.5. Blame it on a largely ignorant customer base.
I'm not the only one who can't make sense of your posts so that suggests you're not being clear.

Even above when you try to "make it simple", its still not as clear as it could be.

It ok though, I understand enough of what you're saying to make some sense of it. You can stop banging your head against the wall.

You are taking the concept of measuring and making it way over complicated.

Stated simple, measure to the outside edges when punching a # in to the balance machine or when picking a box to stuff the wheel in and ship it. Measure between the bead mount surfaces if you want to be like everyone else when referring to wheel width.
Unread 03-15-2014, 11:20 AM   #10
Scrmngchicken
2001 WJ 

Quote:
I'm not the only one who can't make sense of your posts so that suggests you're not being clear.

Even above when you try to "make it simple", its still not as clear as it could be.

It ok though, I understand enough of what you're saying to make some sense of it. You can stop banging your head against the wall.

You are taking the concept of measuring and making it way over complicated.

Stated simple, measure to the outside edges when punching a # in to the balance machine or when picking a box to stuff the wheel in and ship it. Measure between the bead mount surfaces if you want to be like everyone else when referring to wheel width.
If I had a wheel in front of me, it would be extremely simple for me to explain, as I have this conversation every day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.