How Hard?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > How Hard??

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-28-2001, 06:08 PM   #1
Somohllik

How Hard??

I am just an average joe shmo who know verry little about jeeps. My question is, how hard would it be to put a lift kit on myself. I was thinking about getting either a body lift or suspension lift kit and maybe doing it myself to save a little green. Is it worth it?? IS one easier or better than another?? THanks

[url="http://www.Soundom.com/cgi-bin/affiliate.cgi?id=Slimmy"]Click here to make money for listening to music !![/url]
Somohllik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2001, 01:11 AM   #2
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The body lift is way easier to install. The difficulty depends on how much body lift you use. Less is better and they are available in 1", 2" and 3" varieties. 3" of body lift is almost certain body mount trouble down the road. Also, for 2" and 3" body lifts you need to relocate the radiator. That's probably the most difficult part of a body lift. Sometimes the floor around a shifter may need to be massaged/cut to allow you to get into 2nd and 4th gear. Sometimes, just loosening all the body mounts and pushing the body rearward will cure this problem. I've never heard of this being a problem with a 1" lift. All you really need to install a body lift is basic hand tools and some sort of jack to lift the body up while you add the pucks.

Suspension lift is almost always preferred over a body lift. Body lifts are a decent way to touch off a suspension lift, but generally it's just not worth it to do them alone.

A suspension lift just about requires 1/2" drive tools (air tools even better), a good jack and at least two fairly tall jackstands. Suspension work is not complicated. Just kinda heavy when considered in perspective against a body lift. With instructions, a friend, and just a fair amount of common sense you should be capable of installing a suspension lift kit.

Whatever you decide, just ask questions. More than half the guys here have installed their own lifts and you'll get all the advice you could ever want.

I don't follow this board real real close, so if for some remarkable reason your questions don't get answered, email me direct.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2001, 01:34 PM   #3
damonejeep

I recently installed a suspension and body lift on my jeep. Both, as Oz pointed out, were not terribly difficult. The hardest part I ran into was the U-Bolts were some what hard to loosen, and finding a friend willing to work all day. But when you offer pizza, beer, and snacks, they come out of the wood work.
I installed a 3.5" lift and a 1" body lift. With this kit, the suspension lift is not high enough to driveshaft mods. But gave me enough lift, with the 1" body lift, to put on 33' tires, have more confidence of-road, and looks really nice.
My advice would be to go for the suspension lift. In the long run you will be much happier.

Good luck.
94 4.0L YJ, 31x10.5 ProComp MT's, 3.5" BDS, lockers and 4:56 gears to come!
damonejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2001, 03:18 PM   #4
Somohllik

Thanks for the advice. I think i will spend a little more time and energy in getting a suspension rather than a body. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

[url="http://www.Soundom.com/cgi-bin/affiliate.cgi?id=Slimmy"]Click here to make money for listening to music !![/url]
Somohllik is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.