How do tire bead locks? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > How do tire bead locks?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 06-28-2010, 07:37 AM   #1
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

How do tire bead locks?

I was reading the "Idaho Jeep Build" post and I saw those bead locks he installed.

I know what bead locks do but I was curious to know more about them. Can someone please explain to me how those work? What are the beads for? And do they have to be used with specific type of wheels or any wheel can hold those locks?

Again thanks

img_7957.jpg   img_7962.jpg   img_7967.jpg  
TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2010, 07:39 AM   #2
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

They balance the tire, so you dont have to have a shop put weights on.
Unread 06-28-2010, 07:42 AM   #3
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansCJ View Post
They balance the tire, so you dont have to have a shop put weights on.
Does it really work?? Why not keep using weights?
Unread 06-28-2010, 08:31 AM   #4
Idaho-Jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

*How these bead locks work:
That big black flat circular thing (called the "bead lock" by Hutchinson) is a ring that sits on the inside of the tire beads. When the two pieces of the wheel are bolted together it sandwiches the tire bead between that ring and a lip on the wheel. This sandwich creates a vice like grip on the tire bead not allowing it to pull out.

These beadlock wheels are unique in that they lock both the out and inner tire bead. Most bead locks only lock the outer bead using a metal plate ring that then bolts down to the wheel sandwiching the tire bead between the wheel and the metal ring.

*Beads
Those beads are indeed for balancing. I decided to use them because 1) I didn't want the lead weights which can often come off when going through rocks etc... 2) Sometimes balancing big tires with lead weights is expensive and difficult to balance in general. 3) Probably the main reason is that I wanted to do it all myself... Using the beads and bead lock wheels allowed me to mount and balance my tires myself... these tires/wheels have never been to a tire shop. This technology has been around for a long time.. Many big rigs use these beads for balancing their tires... And yes, my tires balance great!
Idaho-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2010, 08:47 AM   #5
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho-Jeep View Post
*How these bead locks work:
That big black flat circular thing (called the "bead lock" by Hutchinson) is a ring that sits on the inside of the tire beads. When the two pieces of the wheel are bolted together it sandwiches the tire bead between that ring and a lip on the wheel. This sandwich creates a vice like grip on the tire bead not allowing it to pull out.

These beadlock wheels are unique in that they lock both the out and inner tire bead. Most bead locks only lock the outer bead using a metal plate ring that then bolts down to the wheel sandwiching the tire bead between the wheel and the metal ring.

*Beads
Those beads are indeed for balancing. I decided to use them because 1) I didn't want the lead weights which can often come off when going through rocks etc... 2) Sometimes balancing big tires with lead weights is expensive and difficult to balance in general. 3) Probably the main reason is that I wanted to do it all myself... Using the beads and bead lock wheels allowed me to mount and balance my tires myself... these tires/wheels have never been to a tire shop. This technology has been around for a long time.. Many big rigs use these beads for balancing their tires... And yes, my tires balance great!

Wow... I'm flattered that you responded to my post and so quickly What are the odds on that huh?

First allow me to say that your work is magnificent thanks for sharing it with us.

So back to the subject, those locks aren't something you can add to any wheel instead of buying new bead lock wheels. The secret is with both the black inner lock and the outer rim of the wheel, right?
Unread 06-28-2010, 08:56 AM   #6
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay00 View Post
...those locks aren't something you can add to any wheel instead of buying new bead lock wheels. The secret is with both the black inner lock and the outer rim of the wheel, right?
You've got to buy the wheels.
Hutchinson Wheels - Quadratec
Hutchinson / Rock Monster Wheels -
Unread 06-28-2010, 09:14 AM   #7
Idaho-Jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Wow... I'm flattered that you responded to my post and so quickly What are the odds on that huh?
Ha - just happened upon it Its a morning ritual to check TJ tech page.

Quote:
First allow me to say that your work is magnificent thanks for sharing it with us.
Thank you - but everything I have done on my jeep is not all that magnificent... Anyone could easily have done the same... taking the time to read and understand before buying and doing is really all I did before/during and after my build.

Quote:
So back to the subject, those locks aren't something you can add to any wheel instead of buying new bead lock wheels. The secret is with both the black inner lock and the outer rim of the wheel, right?
Nope... but I believe people have made their own bead locks using the metal plate ring I described above and a stock wheel. I think that would be difficult and require some skill however... best bet would be to buy a set of beadlocks new....
Idaho-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2010, 09:24 AM   #8
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Got it Thanks for all the info Idaho-Jeep
Unread 06-28-2010, 10:04 AM   #9
Zen
2005 LJ Wrangler 

TeeJay00

Just to clarify...

A tire bead is the edge of the tire that contacts the wheel. It is typically thicker than the sidewall.

Dyna-beads, are balancing beads. They are an active balancing agent that moves to constantly rebalance the tire. You can not use steel wieghts on a tire with active balacers inside, because the tire balancing machine does not measure the tire correctly and you will never get a 0-0 balance. Some people balance the tire first, then add beads, but that only addresses the initial balance and as the tire wears could cause more harm than good.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2010, 02:58 PM   #10
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen View Post
TeeJay00

Just to clarify...

A tire bead is the edge of the tire that contacts the wheel. It is typically thicker than the sidewall.

Dyna-beads, are balancing beads. They are an active balancing agent that moves to constantly rebalance the tire. You can not use steel wieghts on a tire with active balacers inside, because the tire balancing machine does not measure the tire correctly and you will never get a 0-0 balance. Some people balance the tire first, then add beads, but that only addresses the initial balance and as the tire wears could cause more harm than good.

Yes yes thank you for clearing that I am aware though of those definitions specially after I googled this subject yesterday

But bead lock wheels and other accessories like those are almost impossible to find over here and when I saw those inner locks I figured this could be my answer to lock my tire beads to the wheels I already have !

Anyway... Those Hutchinson wheels look amazing. I might have a set shipped all the way over here one day (added to future mods)
My only remark on them is that they don't make them wider the 8" on 15's and the backspacing isn't that good, or is it?

I'm currently running 15"X10" wheels...although I forgot the backspace size on them but they are perfect for my normal lift.

Tags
beadlock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.