How aggresive are the Falken Wildpeaks? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > How aggresive are the Falken Wildpeaks?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #61
WXman
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoch View Post
well, I have my 305x70x16 WildPeaks on for a few days now. Some views...

Very quiet on the road. I don't really hear any more road noise from the tires then I did with the stock 255x75x17 GoodYears. No rain yet. No off road yet... speeds up to 80 on highway, seems to run just fine.

My WildPeaks measure just a tad over 32" when mounted and with 30 PSI in them. I'm going to run for the week (through Wednesday) with 30 PSI and then lower to 28. Feels just a little firm then I would like over bumps, etc..

They are pretty heavy. This is my first Jeep, and my first really larger then your average tire size. These are heavy. I have MB 72 wheels (4.5 BS) and you also will need new tire snubbers before you mount the spare on the carrier. Everything I read on here says you should be OK on the carrier with the correct pressure on the tires via the snubbers, so I am waiting to mount the tire till they come in.

As for the speedo correction needed - I put these on and followed my wife in her JKU - hers has the stock (255x75x17) tires on and my speedo and hers were the same at 55 and 60 MPH. With that, I really don't think I need to do any speedo correction via the AEV ProCal. But, just to be safe, I did add in that I had 32" tires.

My MPG looks to have gone down on the dash from 19.2 to 17.8 on my commute - not bad for the difference in tires.

So do you still have yours? How many miles on them now? How are they holding up?

'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 05:02 PM   #62
bhoch
2012 JK Wrangler 

Yes still have them and they are holding up great. I have 22k on the odo now and all but about 500 are on these I expect I will get another 25k or possible more out of these before needing to replace. Still quiet. Still good in rain. Ok on the trails I do. But not that good in mud. I think they were a good tire for me so far.

Bill
bhoch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 05:56 AM   #63
WXman
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoch View Post
Yes still have them and they are holding up great. I have 22k on the odo now and all but about 500 are on these I expect I will get another 25k or possible more out of these before needing to replace. Still quiet. Still good in rain. Ok on the trails I do. But not that good in mud. I think they were a good tire for me so far.

Bill
Cool. So the tread is about half worn now? I was wondering what the tread would look like at 50%. You don't have a pic do you?
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
Unread 07-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #64
bhoch
2012 JK Wrangler 

Sure.

image-3856464052.jpg

image-1666106243.jpg

Just taken now.

Bill
Unread 07-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #65
WXman
2001 WJ 

That's 22K miles? Wow. They don't look like they've worn hardly at all. Impressive. Are you still happy with them in rain and snow?
Unread 07-26-2013, 02:42 AM   #66
bhoch
2012 JK Wrangler 

Yeah it's 22k miles for them. Still happy with them in rain. I'm in south central Texas, so they have not seen any snow.
They are good tire for street use. I dont get on trails as often as i would like and am easy on the trails,so they work good for me. Little heavy for a 305/70/16 and are an "E" rated tire. I keep them at 28 psi and check them often too.

Bill
Unread 07-26-2013, 06:45 AM   #67
ParaRigger
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoch
Sure.

Just taken now.

Bill
I saw these tire the other day at the tire shop, they looked really nice. There is a JK on base where I work with these tires also, they looked to be are down a little more than yours. The bad thing was that once worn past the tread groves, they were really just 5 bands of worn treads around the tire. They still had plenty of depth, just no more groves. If I see it again, I will snap a photo.
ParaRigger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 07:37 AM   #68
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I found a set of 31"s on CraigsList this past week-end for $100 for all 4 (Rocky Mountains, Discount Tires Wild Peaks). REALLY STOKED with them so far.
img_1115.jpg

img_1116.jpg

Unread 07-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #69
bhoch
2012 JK Wrangler 

Looks good

Bill
Unread 07-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #70
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
Everything you read says that 10 lbs. of unsprung weight is the equivalent of adding 100 lbs. load into the back of the vehicle, in terms of fuel economy, power, and braking. I don't know if that math is correct or not... but that's the rule that is passed around on the Jeep forums all the time.
It's not true. I don't know where the 10-to-1 ratio came from, but I wish it would die a horrible death. It's more of a 2:1. Proof? Here's a site with lots of great info on this topic as well as others WITH mathematical proofs.
http://hpwizard.com/rotational-inertia.html
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #71
caiha

I have 32 12.5 17 Dickie Cpek. Love them. Not to noisy but are heavy. I have them on my 09 4dr JK with 2in lift. Although I did ponder on the Revo 2 because this is a daily driver.
caiha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 10:05 PM   #72
caiha

My neighbor has the Falken on his Z71 and we took it hunting up in the mountains. Did great in the snow. Had no probs.
Unread 07-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #73
holliewood61
1981 CJ7 

I've ran the wild peak a/t in a 305/70r16 on my f-150 for about 2 yrs now around 30k miles and they still look to have around half tread. Wearing even and I've never rotated them. Great in the snow and rain. Pretty decent in the mud for an a/t. Nice and quiet, and they ride good. I will replace the bfg's on my tj with the wild peak when they wear out
60 CJ5 tore down
holliewood61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #74
WXman
2001 WJ 

Well when I ran the Wildpeaks briefly one of the things I was concerned about was how they'd perform with 50% of the tread worn. It looked to me like the tread was designed in a wacky way such that with some wear there would be no biting edges left in the tread.

Turns out I was correct.

I just found a pic of a Wildpeak tire with 6/32nds of tread remaining. (A couple of the tires in this set measured 7/32nds). So these are about half way worn. And as you can see, there are almost NO biting edges left! At this point in the tires life it is now worse than having a HT tire. You might as well be running a racing slick.

I want to like this tire so bad...but I just can't get past the horrible tread design. I like the concept of this tire ( a rugged sidewall with a smooth rolling tread design ) but you are basically getting 6/32nds of usuable tread and then you might as well throw these puppies in the trash. This is the most pathetic tire I have ever seen and that includes all AT, MT, and HT tires.
dec-1427-3.jpg

Unread 09-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #75
caiha

I agree. Tread design sux. I have Dixie Cepeks. I love them. You have to rotate them every 3k to keep them from cupping. Although they did cost me 251 a tire.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.