How aggresive are the Falken Wildpeaks? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > How aggresive are the Falken Wildpeaks?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-01-2012, 10:28 AM   #46
Dallas333
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
Got 7,000 miles on mine now. The more miles on put on them, the less I like them.

Cons:
-Much heavier than competitive ATs. Is KILLING my gas mileage.
-Continuous flat-spotting/balancing issues. Cannot get these to balance. Not going to bother sending any more tires back for replacement.
-Miserable offroad traction. Mud, damp dirt, roots, loose soil, just horrible traction. Not a good eastern U.S. trail tire at all.
-They pick up gravel worse than any other tire I've ever used. My rock rails and rocker panels and doors are taking a beating. Plus, the constant "tick tick tick tick" traveling down the road.

Pros:
-Low price
-Thick sidewalls
-Quiet on the road
-Wearing great so far

At this point I'm 100% sure I'll never buy them again. Out of the 18 or so brands/models of tires I've used, these are the first ones I've told myself I'll never buy again. Now I know why the Sumitomo AT was discontinued...they weren't selling them so they slapped the general tread design on a Falken branded tire and promoted it as something new, but the quality is still shoddy.
What size do you have? I know we did a weight comparison on all of the 16's and they weren't any heavier than most of the other AT's.

[B][U]Disclaimer:[/U][/B] We should all have hope and look towards the day where man realizes that the sounds exiting his mouth are mostly complaints and a change occurs. - Chevelle
Dallas333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #47
WXman
2001 WJ 

I have 285/75-16. Two weighed 62 lbs., and two weighed 64 lbs. (further proving the manufacturing quality is low). By contrast, 95% of ATs in this size go 51-58 lbs. As much as 10 lbs. heavier per tire...that's significant.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #48
DiscountTire
Vendor

I realize that no tire will be good for everyone but I've got the same question for you as on the other forum. What pressure are you running them off-road? Tire pressure has a large effect on a tire's performance especially when you have a tire with a strong sidewall. I run mine at 12 psi off road and they grip like a champ. I'm not just saying that because I work for a company that sells them. These tires really have been excellent for me.
DiscountTire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #49
Profit42

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
I have 285/75-16. Two weighed 62 lbs., and two weighed 64 lbs. (further proving the manufacturing quality is low). By contrast, 95% of ATs in this size go 51-58 lbs. As much as 10 lbs. heavier per tire...that's significant.
Sounds typical for Falkens.
Profit42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #50
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

WXMAN, can you delve into the subject of MPG loss and give a little more detail?

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2012, 07:55 AM   #51
WXman
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17 View Post
WXMAN, can you delve into the subject of MPG loss and give a little more detail?
Everything you read says that 10 lbs. of unsprung weight is the equivalent of adding 100 lbs. load into the back of the vehicle, in terms of fuel economy, power, and braking. I don't know if that math is correct or not... but that's the rule that is passed around on the Jeep forums all the time.

So, assuming that is true, I'm running 40 lbs. of additional unsprung weight by choosing Falkens over another brand of AT. That's like carrying 400 lbs. around in the back of the Jeep all the time as far as my gas gauge is concerned. That's a BIG deal.

On my daily routine, I was averaging 19.2 MPGs in bone stock form. With the Falkens I'm at 16.0 if I baby it...and 15.2 if I drive it like I want to on the same driving route to/from work and play on the weekends. The 4.88s didn't do anything for my mileage pro or con...they just help me hold overdrive on the highway now, but my mileage hasn't changed hardly at all due to the gears.

So, it appears that I lost 3-4 MPGs from the Falken tire upgrade. Now, if I went with a lighter AT tire of the exact same size..how much would I gain back? Probably not much...around 1 MPG probably. But every 1 MPG is worth $20/month to the average person...so choosing a different AT tire would pay for itself FAST.

For that reason (and the others I listed) I'm going to try the Nitto Terra Grappler. It's listed at 53 lbs. each and has great reviews. I already have one for my spare...and as my Falkens die I'll get more Nittos to replace them with.

If my JKU was a trail-only vehicle I'd have MTs on it. But since it's not I have to be conscious of efficiency and ride comfort in addition to trail prowess...and the Falken just isn't getting it done.
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
Unread 06-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #52
bhoch
2012 JK Wrangler 

With my Falken WildPeaks my MPG did go down. It went from 19.5 (roughly) to 18.5 (roughly) on my daily commute. My DD is 55 27 miles each way to work and back Monday - Fridays. I have the 305x70x16 wildPeaks with no other options and 3.73 gears. I like them, actually. Find them very quiet, at least for the Central Texas roadways that we have. I only have about 2500 miles on them, so it will be interesting to see how they are once they wear some. I run them at 28 PSI on the road, have not been off road enough with them to know what I need to run at then. I have not had any issues with them so far. Will be interesting to see if they make any improvements in weight or tread designs over the next year(s) with these.

Like WXMan I too find them very heavy and I will probably go with a different AT tire whenever I need to replace these. But that will be a while. Other then weight, I am happy with them so far. I have a while to go before I can consider a different tire, as these look like they will wear slowly (which, coming from sports cars is a nice change!).
bhoch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2012, 03:53 PM   #53
xjknight
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Some people want durability for offroad use.. Some people want lower weight.. Can't really have both so in the end it's up to the buyer what they want. Wether it be something light weight but can be easily damaged like a duratrac or something that is heavier and more durable like the wild peak at, st maxx, and most MT's.
Unread 06-03-2012, 08:13 AM   #54
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I want the Falken's but the weight has me convinced on another tire. Most likely a 33x10.50 KM2.

Unread 06-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #55
Dallas333
1999 TJ Wrangler 

285/75/16's
Falken Rocky Mountain ATS - 62 lbs/tire
BFG All-Terrain T/A KO - 59 lbs/tire
General Grabber AT2 - 62 lbs/tire
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac - 58 lbs/tire (there are two different kinds on tirerack, one weighs 58 one weighs 54)
BFG Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 - 59 lbs/tire
Dick Cepek Mud Country - 61 lbs/tire

305/70/16's
Falken Rocky Mountain ATS - 67 lbs/tire
BFG All-Terrain T/A KO - 61 lbs/tire
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac - 63 lbs/tire
Dick Cepek Mud Country - 63 lbs/tire

So yes, looks like the 305's in the Falkens are much heavier... in the 285's though, not bad.

[B][U]Disclaimer:[/U][/B] We should all have hope and look towards the day where man realizes that the sounds exiting his mouth are mostly complaints and a change occurs. - Chevelle
Unread 06-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #56
xjknight
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Interesting.. Very interesting
Unread 06-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #57
WXman
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas333 View Post
285/75/16's
Falken Rocky Mountain ATS - 62 lbs/tire
BFG All-Terrain T/A KO - 59 lbs/tire
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac - 58 lbs/tire (there are two different kinds on tirerack, one weighs 58 one weighs 54)
Dick Cepek Mud Country - 61 lbs/tire

305/70/16's
Falken Rocky Mountain ATS - 67 lbs/tire
BFG All-Terrain T/A KO - 61 lbs/tire
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac - 63 lbs/tire
Dick Cepek Mud Country - 63 lbs/tire

So yes, looks like the 305's in the Falkens are much heavier... in the 285's though, not bad.

The mistake here is that you're comparing apples to oranges. The 285/75 Falkens are load range "D". The BFG and most other tires you listed are "E". If you consider that the lighter capacity Falkens are heavier than the higher capacity competitors, the issue becomes obvious.

Like I said earlier in this thread... I've collected weight data directly from the manufacturers by emailing them or calling them, and what I've found is that 95% of the ATs out there in the 285/75 size are 51-59 lbs...with most of those being in the low to mid 50s. By contrast, the Falkens are almost 10 full lbs. heavier.
Unread 06-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #58
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I wanna hear more about mpg's. Anyone run KM2's to compare? They are my other option. I do a lot of highway driving, I know the Falkens are nice for that in the sense of comfort and performance but not MPG.

Unread 06-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #59
Dallas333
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17 View Post
I wanna hear more about mpg's. Anyone run KM2's to compare? They are my other option. I do a lot of highway driving, I know the Falkens are nice for that in the sense of comfort and performance but not MPG.
I went from crappy 30x9.5x15's to 285/75/16 Falkens and my gas mileage has not suffered much at all. They are quiet and handle well for me on the highway at all speeds. Before i got these, my mileage was at max 15mpg... With these, it MIGHT be about .3 mpg less. I couldn't turn them down for the price.

Unread 06-29-2012, 04:55 PM   #60
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas333 View Post
I went from crappy 30x9.5x15's to 285/75/16 Falkens and my gas mileage has not suffered much at all. They are quiet and handle well for me on the highway at all speeds. Before i got these, my mileage was at max 15mpg... With these, it MIGHT be about .3 mpg less. I couldn't turn them down for the price.
Have you done any hard wheeling with them? If so what kind?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.