How aggresive are the Falken Wildpeaks? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > How aggresive are the Falken Wildpeaks?

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 05-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #31
bhoch
2012 JK Wrangler 

Dallas333 - Normally, they are about $220 each at discount tire (Rocky Mountains...) and the MB wheels are about $110 each.. I got them as a wheel tire package for $305 each.. so, there was some savings.

bhoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #32
bhoch
2012 JK Wrangler 

WXman - yeah. I think mine are about 90 lbs each for the wheel/tire combo. You are correct, they are "E" rated. Currently, I have my speedo calibrated to 32.2 and will get my GPS up and running and see how close it is at 55 MPH and go from there. I thought it was interesting that my Speedo and hers were the same at 55 MPH.. either that or she does not really know what 55 MPH actually is.

Thanks for the info about PSI, I'm going to go down to 28 PSI and see how that goes.
bhoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 07:31 AM   #33
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Jumping in on this one because I've been impressed with what I've seen the Falken Wild Peaks do on tough Moab trails. I'm currently running 37" KM2s on my JKUL. Not really impressed, horrible on slick stuff and don't hook up like I'd expected on the rocks. My previous rig ran 36" IROK radials and got much better trail & rock grip than these KM2s. So, I'm looking around. We don't get into much deep mud around here, but lots of sharp rocks. How do the Falken's sidewalls hold up in the sharp stuff?
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #34
xjknight
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
Jumping in on this one because I've been impressed with what I've seen the Falken Wild Peaks do on tough Moab trails. I'm currently running 37" KM2s on my JKUL. Not really impressed, horrible on slick stuff and don't hook up like I'd expected on the rocks. My previous rig ran 36" IROK radials and got much better trail & rock grip than these KM2s. So, I'm looking around. We don't get into much deep mud around here, but lots of sharp rocks. How do the Falken's sidewalls hold up in the sharp stuff?
Extremely awesomely stupendously well.. It's what has them as popular as they are with rock/dry terain guys who don't want a MT with a strong sidewall.. The only other AT that has a sidewall strong enough to compete with the Falken is the Cooper ST Maxx
Unread 05-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #35
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'd like some comparisons of these with other tires. Even if they're in different leagues. KM2's STT's, K/O's, etc. Whatever you had before!

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #36
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I saw these in person for the first time today. Was pulling out of the parking lot after my gf's soccer game. Just got a glance of them on a pickup. They looked okay, but not very aggressive at all. Maybe his were worn down?

Unread 05-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #37
WXman
2001 WJ 

They don't look aggressive because they're not aggressive. They were obviously designed with desert and rocky geography in mind...a smooth, quiet, efficient running AT tire with 3-ply sidewalls that are tougher than a box of nails. They were never meant to be a MT. There is a very limited choice for tires like the Falken. BFG KO is a 3-ply sidewalled AT but there aren't very many more out there. It's a niche market and Falken has the best entry in that market for the price.

I was in sloppy soupy mud last weekend and like I already said...they were miserable. But if I had been on dry terrain they'd have been the perfect tire to handle those jagged creek bed rocks and roots.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #38
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
They don't look aggressive because they're not aggressive. They were obviously designed with desert and rocky geography in mind...a smooth, quiet, efficient running AT tire with 3-ply sidewalls that are tougher than a box of nails. They were never meant to be a MT. There is a very limited choice for tires like the Falken. BFG KO is a 3-ply sidewalled AT but there aren't very many more out there. It's a niche market and Falken has the best entry in that market for the price.

I was in sloppy soupy mud last weekend and like I already said...they were miserable. But if I had been on dry terrain they'd have been the perfect tire to handle those jagged creek bed rocks and roots.
Yea I totally get what you're saying, but from the company's pictures and even pictures of them on JF rigs, they looked more mean. Maybe he had a lot of mileage on them.

Unread 05-12-2012, 07:14 PM   #39
WXman
2001 WJ 

Anybody had trouble balancing the Falkens? That's one thing I have noticed...the shops seem to have trouble balancing mine. I've had a couple that needed more than 8 oz. of weight which from what they are telling me is illegal or against policy or something so the shops will not put more than that on my wheels. I even had one of them replaced by DTD who was awesome to work with...but now they are telling me I've got another tire that's possibly out of round. Hmm..
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
Unread 05-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #40
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
Anybody had trouble balancing the Falkens? That's one thing I have noticed...the shops seem to have trouble balancing mine. I've had a couple that needed more than 8 oz. of weight which from what they are telling me is illegal or against policy or something so the shops will not put more than that on my wheels. I even had one of them replaced by DTD who was awesome to work with...but now they are telling me I've got another tire that's possibly out of round. Hmm..
I've read a lot about this. Seems like a recurring problem with many people. Get the other tire replaced too?

Unread 05-14-2012, 06:29 PM   #41
WXman
2001 WJ 

No I ended up going to another tire shop who was able (with even more weights added) to balance the tire well enough to smooth it out on the highway to an acceptable level.

So I did only have one single issue with these tires and that was the weight. Now I have two... the thick heavy duty construction of the tire makes them hard to balance.

They are wearing great... lost 1/32nd in 4,000+ miles so far. At this rate I'll get at least 60,000 miles out of them before they're bald.
Unread 05-14-2012, 07:37 PM   #42
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Guess there are disadvantages to uber-strong sidewalls too! Glad you got it figured out.

Unread 05-17-2012, 05:29 PM   #43
DiscountTire
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmomba View Post
So are they legit or not?
Yeah totally Legit. I've had the same personal experiences with the Wild Peaks on my own rig as many others have. They are a tough tire and you'll be surprised with what they can do. I've got over 15K on mine and they've seen snow, mud, rocks, dirt, sand, all with no issues for me.

Also, I know for a fact the Currie/savvy rig was running off the shelf Wild Peaks with the only modification being the tread pattern. The rubber compound, carcass and everything else is the exact same tire you and I can buy.

Falken's working to develop a MT someday. At this time there isn't an ETA but when it comes out, if its anything like their AT, I'll wait in line for them.
DiscountTire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 08:28 AM   #44
Dallas333
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just got these tires.... After months of debating on which tires, I just couldn't justify buying anything else at the price I got 4 of these. My out the door price for 4 285/75/16's was $799.33 with tax and replacement certificates from discount tire. That's mounted and installed. I really wanted Duratracs, but they were gonna be ~$350 more.

After having them installed and seeing them in person, they look MUCH better than in any of the pictures I've seen. Maybe they just aren't photogenic, I dunno, but these things look great in person. Road noise is almost nothing. Here's a pic... I'm extremely happy with these things for $800!

[B][U]Disclaimer:[/U][/B] We should all have hope and look towards the day where man realizes that the sounds exiting his mouth are mostly complaints and a change occurs. - Chevelle
Dallas333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #45
WXman
2001 WJ 

Got 7,000 miles on mine now. The more miles on put on them, the less I like them.

Cons:
-Much heavier than competitive ATs. Is KILLING my gas mileage.
-Continuous flat-spotting/balancing issues. Cannot get these to balance. Not going to bother sending any more tires back for replacement.
-Miserable offroad traction. Mud, damp dirt, roots, loose soil, just horrible traction. Not a good eastern U.S. trail tire at all.
-They pick up gravel worse than any other tire I've ever used. My rock rails and rocker panels and doors are taking a beating. Plus, the constant "tick tick tick tick" traveling down the road.

Pros:
-Low price
-Thick sidewalls
-Quiet on the road
-Wearing great so far

At this point I'm 100% sure I'll never buy them again. Out of the 18 or so brands/models of tires I've used, these are the first ones I've told myself I'll never buy again. Now I know why the Sumitomo AT was discontinued...they weren't selling them so they slapped the general tread design on a Falken branded tire and promoted it as something new, but the quality is still shoddy.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.