How aggresive are the Falken Wildpeaks? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > How aggresive are the Falken Wildpeaks?

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 04-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #16
blackmomba
2012 JK Wrangler 

So are they legit or not?

blackmomba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #17
Rancho_Lifts
Vendor
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmomba View Post
I love BFG MT's (especially their comp tires) but seeing how well these tires did on the JK Experience (Colorado trails, no mud) and out at Moab on the Slick Rock, I think they are a great all around tire. I have been a passenger in JK's with them and had no complaints.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic302198_9.gif
Rancho_Lifts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #18
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Man... very interesting tires indeed. I think once I see them in person I'll make my decision. But why does everyone think they are so heavy? They're a pound heavier than the BFG's in 33x12.50 per tire.

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2012, 11:17 PM   #19
xjknight
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmomba View Post
Yes they are.. However they are not good in mud so if mud is apart of where you wheel then pass on these.
Unread 04-27-2012, 05:29 AM   #20
bhoch
2012 JK Wrangler 

I just received my 305x70x16 WildPeaks on MB72 wheels.

I ordered some new bump stops for the tire carrier, but do I need to reinforce that any or can I just mount the spare on the current tire carrier and adjust/replace the bump stop so it has pressure against the tires and does not allow it to flex on bumps or opening/shutting the gate?

I'll post some pics as soon as I can take some...
tire_size.jpg  

Last edited by bhoch; 04-27-2012 at 05:30 AM.. Reason: pic is way to big.. wanted to remove!
bhoch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2012, 06:14 AM   #21
WXman
2001 WJ 

bhoch.. good question. I'm in the same boat... running heavy a$$ Falkens on the stock tire carrier. I've got Daystar extended length tire snubbers for the tailgate on order. I'm looking at the tailgate reinforcement kit quadratec sells for $30 bucks...I might get that too.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2012, 06:23 AM   #22
bhoch
2012 JK Wrangler 

WXman - Thanks - I have the Daystar extended length tire mounts on their way. Expect them here either today or early next week. The tailgate reinforcement kit for $30 might be worth it, if nothing else $30 is cheap for a piece of mind type of thing! I'll get out there and take a look at that as well.
Unread 04-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #23
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGeo View Post
So their win was only because of the tires. Special one-off tires that aren't anywhere close to the factory Wildpeak AT tread design, and I'm willing to bet that their rubber compounds were special as well. Got it. And I guess they chose to put Falken's logo prominently on their vehicle as opposed to some other tire manufacturer's who offered more money?

Yeah. totally the same tire.

I can't even sit here looking at them and find any way of believing that they're the same tire just grooved. The circumferential grooves on Gerald's Jeep are quite a bit more staggered than those found on the factory tires, which have very graceful sweeping lines to them.
You never quit being ignorant, do you? The podium finishers were sequestered and inspected after the race and the crews were not allowed to remove or add anything to the rig including tires. Add to that the protest red card process the competitors can use to challenge any aspect of another car and there is no way to try and sneak a differently compounded tire onto their rig.

The first thing you overlooked is how you would keep track of and mark them so some poor sap doesn't wind up with them on a street rig and the liability involved there. If they are marked, they will be spotted at the inspection. Another thing you missed, it's John Currie. They will always go over his rigs with a fine tooth comb. It's been that way in every motor sport competition he has ever entered so he knows that even if he wanted to try and fudge the rules a bit, he'd get busted, so he never does.

And for the record, Falken did the grooving for them. And again for the record, it's very common to groove tires for the venue.
Unread 04-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #24
xjknight
2001 XJ Cherokee 

the falkens as they are currently cut already get there love from the rock/dry terrain people but I'll bet if they sold them cut like they have them on curie's rig they get even more love, especially from those of us whose trails are more a mixed bag of tricks
Unread 04-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #25
Jake03TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancho_Lifts View Post
One and the same, I saw the Falken crew take a stock tire and then groove it to this pattern while out at King of The Hammers.
Edit, should have read BIFFGNAR's post first. LOL
Ah, you beat me to it. After comparing the two pictures I figured that it was a grooved tire.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." Major General James Mattis, USMC

"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!" Thomas Jefferson
Jake03TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2012, 01:01 PM   #26
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjknight View Post
the falkens as they are currently cut already get there love from the rock/dry terrain people but I'll bet if they sold them cut like they have them on curie's rig they get even more love, especially from those of us whose trails are more a mixed bag of tricks
I'll will be the first to admit when Gerald told me they were going to test the Falken tires that I was not only openly skeptical, I gave him a fair bit of crap for even trying an unknown tire. He kept me updated throughout the testing and after relating to me that they didn't hamper the rig's ability at all and were in fact a lot tougher than they ever imagined.

I got over it after that and was pleased to see the win, almost as pleased as Falken was/is.
Unread 04-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #27
bhoch
2012 JK Wrangler 

well, I have my 305x70x16 WildPeaks on for a few days now. Some views...

Very quiet on the road. I don't really hear any more road noise from the tires then I did with the stock 255x75x17 GoodYears. No rain yet. No off road yet... speeds up to 80 on highway, seems to run just fine.

My WildPeaks measure just a tad over 32" when mounted and with 30 PSI in them. I'm going to run for the week (through Wednesday) with 30 PSI and then lower to 28. Feels just a little firm then I would like over bumps, etc..

They are pretty heavy. This is my first Jeep, and my first really larger then your average tire size. These are heavy. I have MB 72 wheels (4.5 BS) and you also will need new tire snubbers before you mount the spare on the carrier. Everything I read on here says you should be OK on the carrier with the correct pressure on the tires via the snubbers, so I am waiting to mount the tire till they come in.

As for the speedo correction needed - I put these on and followed my wife in her JKU - hers has the stock (255x75x17) tires on and my speedo and hers were the same at 55 and 60 MPH. With that, I really don't think I need to do any speedo correction via the AEV ProCal. But, just to be safe, I did add in that I had 32" tires.

My MPG looks to have gone down on the dash from 19.2 to 17.8 on my commute - not bad for the difference in tires.
Unread 05-01-2012, 08:54 AM   #28
fmfa0801
2009 JK Wrangler 

Mine just came in 37". They have alot of tread.

fmfa0801 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #29
WXman
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoch View Post
well, I have my 305x70x16 WildPeaks on for a few days now. Some views...

Very quiet on the road. I don't really hear any more road noise from the tires then I did with the stock 255x75x17 GoodYears. No rain yet. No off road yet... speeds up to 80 on highway, seems to run just fine.

My WildPeaks measure just a tad over 32" when mounted and with 30 PSI in them. I'm going to run for the week (through Wednesday) with 30 PSI and then lower to 28. Feels just a little firm then I would like over bumps, etc..

They are pretty heavy. This is my first Jeep, and my first really larger then your average tire size. These are heavy. I have MB 72 wheels (4.5 BS) and you also will need new tire snubbers before you mount the spare on the carrier. Everything I read on here says you should be OK on the carrier with the correct pressure on the tires via the snubbers, so I am waiting to mount the tire till they come in.

As for the speedo correction needed - I put these on and followed my wife in her JKU - hers has the stock (255x75x17) tires on and my speedo and hers were the same at 55 and 60 MPH. With that, I really don't think I need to do any speedo correction via the AEV ProCal. But, just to be safe, I did add in that I had 32" tires.

My MPG looks to have gone down on the dash from 19.2 to 17.8 on my commute - not bad for the difference in tires.

Your wife's tires will measure about 31" from ground to top of tire. Your Falkens should go about 32" from ground to top of tire. That's a little over 3% difference. So, somebody's speedometer is telling a lie.

Also, I found by using GPS to verify that if I set my computer to 32" using the ProCal tool the speedometer will not be accurate. I had to measure my tires from ground to top of tire (32.1") and then put 31.50" into the ProCal... now my speedo is perfectly in sync with actual GPS readings.

I wonder how much your tire/wheel combo weighs? Close to 90 lbs. I'd guess. Mine go 83 lbs. and the 285s are "D" rated. Yours are "E" I think. But the sidewalls are THICK.

I ran at about 30 psi for a while and found that my center tread wore 1/32nd while my outer tread did not wear down at all. So I am now at 25 psi. I'm going to drop it down until I start getting even wear. Good luck with them.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #30
Dallas333
1999 TJ Wrangler 

bhoch... How much you pay for your 305's? That's the size I'm looking to go with.

[B][U]Disclaimer:[/U][/B] We should all have hope and look towards the day where man realizes that the sounds exiting his mouth are mostly complaints and a change occurs. - Chevelle
Dallas333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.