How aggresive are the Falken Wildpeaks? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > How aggresive are the Falken Wildpeaks?

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Reply
Unread 08-04-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
Kodiak17
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,691
How aggresive are the Falken Wildpeaks?

I plan on purchasing these tires in a 32x11.50x15 size for moderate trailriding and daily driving. I've done a lot of research on these but am still concerned with the tread depth. All the pictures I see make them look similar to the dueler revos or destinations. Falken's site states that the Wildpeaks are at 17/32's and BFG's site reports the same. So does this mean that the Wildpeaks are as aggressive and deep as the BFG's? I find this hard to believe since the BFG's are known as one of the most aggressive A/T's. Someone please enlighten me!

Thanks

__________________
Maintain, wheel, upgrade, repeat.

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 11:22 PM   #2
Chin13
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 51
I hope someone will chime in about these tires. I have heard nothing but good things about them and I am considering them for my next tire. Here is a link to some good pics to give an idea how aggressive they are because the stock picture from Falken does not make them look aggressive at all. http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/fal...s-94478-3.html (Post #68)
These are of the Falken Rocky Mountains but they are the same as the Wild Peaks just sold exclusively by Discount Tires.
__________________
2000 XJ Sport - 4 in lift (mixed components) - Cowl Intake- 31x10.5x15 BFG All-terrains - TNT Customs front winch bumber - Brown Dog motor mounts
Chin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
Kodiak17
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,691
bump
__________________
Maintain, wheel, upgrade, repeat.

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 11:04 PM   #4
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Posts: 1,166
Just looking at them I would have to say that they're less aggressive than BFG All terrains. They actually look like a pretty crappy knockoff of the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo. Which is an excellent on-road tire, but I wouldn't put it anywhere near mud. Those circumferential grooves are great for on-road water dispersion, but suck donkey chode for getting any traction in mud. Falken is notorious for not really ever coming up with an original tread design...they simply tweak what's already been on the market for a decade to avoid legal issues, but their tires are simply cheaper-rubber versions of better performing tires already out there. Two words: Budget Knockoff.

They do look quiet, though.
AKGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 11:50 PM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Escondido, California, California
Posts: 59,455
Falken is an up and comer, the winning vehicle in the Every Man Challenge in the last King of the Hammers race/rock crawling race was running Falken tires. They were chosen by John Currie of Currie Enterprises and Gerald Lee of Savvy who even beat the Unlimited Class and between them, they could afford anything they wanted and ran Falkens on what has become known as the "toughest one-day off-road race". Pretty good results for a budget knockoff I'd say.
__________________
Getting Savvy...

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 12:07 AM   #6
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Posts: 1,166
So their win was only because of the tires. Special one-off tires that aren't anywhere close to the factory Wildpeak AT tread design, and I'm willing to bet that their rubber compounds were special as well. Got it. And I guess they chose to put Falken's logo prominently on their vehicle as opposed to some other tire manufacturer's who offered more money?







Yeah. totally the same tire.

I can't even sit here looking at them and find any way of believing that they're the same tire just grooved. The circumferential grooves on Gerald's Jeep are quite a bit more staggered than those found on the factory tires, which have very graceful sweeping lines to them.
AKGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 12:44 AM   #7
Dallas333
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGeo View Post
So their win was only because of the tires. Special one-off tires that aren't anywhere close to the factory Wildpeak AT tread design, and I'm willing to bet that their rubber compounds were special as well. Got it. And I guess they chose to put Falken's logo prominently on their vehicle as opposed to some other tire manufacturer's who offered more money?

Yeah. totally the same tire.

I can't even sit here looking at them and find any way of believing that they're the same tire just grooved. The circumferential grooves on Gerald's Jeep are quite a bit more staggered than those found on the factory tires, which have very graceful sweeping lines to them.
Re read Jerry's statement a few times... Nowhere in it did he say they ran Falken Wildpeak AT's... He just said that they ran Falken brand tires.
__________________
[COLOR="DarkRed"]1999 Chili Pepper Red TJ[/COLOR], 4.0, 5 speed, 4 inch Pro Comp lift.

[B][U]Disclaimer:[/U][/B] We should all have hope and look towards the day where man realizes that the sounds exiting his mouth are mostly complaints and a change occurs. - Chevelle
Dallas333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 12:48 AM   #8
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Posts: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas333 View Post
Re read Jerry's statement a few times... Nowhere in it did he say they ran Falken Wildpeak AT's... He just said that they ran Falken brand tires.
You might want to go read anything else mentioned previously about what Currie ran. Maybe try looking up a youtube video which I just watched myself about Falken testing tires at KOH.

Falken Wildpeak AT. Not to mention that the Wildpeak AT is their only real offroad tire. So here are your choices: they claim to be running Wildpeak ATs which have been aggressively modified and are not indicative of the factory product that people will be running on their vehicles

OR:

They're using what I claimed: a completely one-off designed tire that is simply NAMED the Falken Wildpeak AT.

Try again, tough guy.
AKGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 01:03 AM   #9
Molonlabemike
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Rancho Chuchamonga, CA
Posts: 549
Ill chime in

Being that my first job was working for America Tire CO for 3 years I got to put my hands on a bunch of rubbers Nevertheless I have ran BFGs and MTR on my last 4 rigs and loved their performance on and off road. Just recently I bought my Jeep and it had the Falken Wildpeaks on it (35x12.50R15). Never recalled Falken making anything other then road tires I was a bit skeptical on how they would hold up. Being they used a similar tread pattern the nittos and Revos I had a rather good feeling they would be fine.

I would esitmate that I have put about 3k on them, most of that has been off road with some city driving to work. So far I have been blown away by the traction they have produced on and off road. Light snow, sand, rocks, pavement, ice & wet surfaces are these tires bread and butter. Air them down and go, simple as that. I have notice they do clean out mud pretty dang well for being a AT tire and do "ok" in deeper snow.

With these tires I was able to run John Bull in the snow in ice with a open front and LSD rear a few months back. They do have there limits like most AT but I look forward to many miles that I should get out of these tires. I gripe with BFG AT is that the outside thread tends to cup rather easily and wear faster then what I have seen. Only thing I would change about these tires would be to run a bit more aggressive side wall.

If I had to buy them again I would
__________________
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/yota-jeep-my-build-1313299/"]My Build thread[/URL]

Molon Labe
Molonlabemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 01:40 AM   #10
Dallas333
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGeo View Post
You might want to go read anything else mentioned previously about what Currie ran. Maybe try looking up a youtube video which I just watched myself about Falken testing tires at KOH.

Falken Wildpeak AT. Not to mention that the Wildpeak AT is their only real offroad tire. So here are your choices: they claim to be running Wildpeak ATs which have been aggressively modified and are not indicative of the factory product that people will be running on their vehicles

OR:

They're using what I claimed: a completely one-off designed tire that is simply NAMED the Falken Wildpeak AT.

Try again, tough guy.
Hahaha I like that. Nowhere in my statement was I trying to be "tough", but I WAS stopped in the grocery store the other day by a man who asked me if I was a UFC fighter. Maybe I'm just coming across "tougher" these days. I'm gonna throw out a golf analogy for you that will make me sound real tough.

If you watch golf and see Tiger Woods playing "x" Nike golf club and you go buy "x" Nike golf club, you aren't getting the same thing even if it has the same name. Of course it's been modified for him. But, the one you buy in the store will have a lot of the same technology that was put into building his. If you're more of a NASCAR guy and didn't understand my golf analogy, go buy a Chevy Impala off a lot and see if you can win a race. Of course not. Some of the technology though trickles down into what the consumers get (more so from the golf club comparison than the NASCAR comparison I would think). Do I agree with it? Nah... it's a bunch of advertising bull****.

Now to the OP's original question... I was/am considering the Wildpeak AT's. I wasn't impressed with the pictures of them online, so I went and checked them out in person at Discount Tire. They look much better/more aggressive in person than they do in pictures. I was pleasantly surprised. It'd be worth it to take a trip to Discount just to check them out. Sidewalls feel very sturdy as well.
__________________
[COLOR="DarkRed"]1999 Chili Pepper Red TJ[/COLOR], 4.0, 5 speed, 4 inch Pro Comp lift.

[B][U]Disclaimer:[/U][/B] We should all have hope and look towards the day where man realizes that the sounds exiting his mouth are mostly complaints and a change occurs. - Chevelle
Dallas333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 02:06 AM   #11
xjknight
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Seneca, NY
Posts: 133
This is one tire that I find very interesting.. As it is suited for everything but mud. It has a strong 3 ply sidewall that can take a hell of a beating and has proven itself to be very good a griping to rocks as well as being very kind on the road and handling hard packed snow pretty well. Deep snow it's isn't to bad either but I've seen better.

In the end if your offroading includes muddy trails this tire would not be for you but if you need something that rides nice and is quite on the road and can take one hell of a beating off road then I have no problem telling anyone to buy the wild peak at.. What I want to find out now is about there wild peak high country at.. that tire looks like a more agressive at but I wonder about it's sidewall
__________________
-XJ- 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Gone
CF: Begrüßen Sie Hitler.. WF: Самый прекрасный коммунизм.. Pirate4x4: Oh Canada.. JF: Fail Rated
xjknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 05:49 AM   #12
WXman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,585
The sidewalls are THICK. This adds security and strength, BUT it also adds a lot of weight. Most Falkens are going to weigh several to as much as fifteen pounds more per tire than their direct competition in the same load rating. Ouch. That kills power, acceleration, fuel economy, braking, stock tire carriers , and other things. But...if strong sidewalls is what you're after, the Falken has it.

They are almost silent on the road. I've owned dozens of tire brands and models and these are some of the most quiet I've ever had. They do tend to have a lot of squirm on the highway. They track to the left or right sometimes and feel a little "flighty". Otherwise they do pretty well in dry and wet road conditions. They pick up a lot of small rocks which get discharged on the road and go "DING" when they hit your rock rails. The tread smelled like cow poop when the tires were new...especially on a hot day. It stunk really bad.

The tread is DEEEEEP on these things in the center (a full 17/32nds) but when I measured the outer lugs, I found them to only be 9/32nds when brand new. Hmm.. so eventually the outer lugs are going to become a solid bar of rubber around the tire before the center tread wears down. Why would they do that?

Offroad they are miserable. Damp soil and grass covered soil they just sit and spin instantly. Mud...forget it. I suppose on the rocks they'd be great. Probably not bad on dry dirt. But here in the eastern U.S. they aren't a good all-around trail tire if you spend much time offroad. That's my opinion. I think this tire would be excellent out west in drier and rockier conditions. But here in the wet soil, creek beds, tree roots, vegetation-covered grounds, etc. they don't inspire confidence.

I'd give them 7/10 on the road because they are quiet and smooth, but squirmy and heavy. I'd give them 5/10 on the trail because they are just average for an all terrain tire. If you run rocks a lot I'd give them a higher than 5/10 rating due to the sidewalls. It is also the most inexpensive tire of it's type on the market currently, so for value I'd give them a 7/10. If they weren't so damned heavy I'd rate them higher for value...but gasoline is expensive.
__________________
'92 YJ - heavily modded
'96 ZJ - heavily modded
'05 KJ CRD Limited - 370 lb./ft. from a 4-cylinder and trail ready. Pure awesomeness.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 05:58 AM   #13
xjknight
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Seneca, NY
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
The sidewalls are THICK. This adds security and strength, BUT it also adds a lot of weight. Most Falkens are going to weigh several to as much as fifteen pounds more per tire than their direct competition in the same load rating. Ouch. That kills power, acceleration, fuel economy, braking, stock tire carriers , and other things. But...if strong sidewalls is what you're after, the Falken has it.

They are almost silent on the road. I've owned dozens of tire brands and models and these are some of the most quiet I've ever had. They do tend to have a lot of squirm on the highway. They track to the left or right sometimes and feel a little "flighty". Otherwise they do pretty well in dry and wet road conditions. They pick up a lot of small rocks which get discharged on the road and go "DING" when they hit your rock rails. The tread smelled like cow poop when the tires were new...especially on a hot day. It stunk really bad.

The tread is DEEEEEP on these things in the center (a full 17/32nds) but when I measured the outer lugs, I found them to only be 9/32nds when brand new. Hmm.. so eventually the outer lugs are going to become a solid bar of rubber around the tire before the center tread wears down. Why would they do that?

Offroad they are miserable. Damp soil and grass covered soil they just sit and spin instantly. Mud...forget it. I suppose on the rocks they'd be great. Probably not bad on dry dirt. But here in the eastern U.S. they aren't a good all-around trail tire if you spend much time offroad. That's my opinion. I think this tire would be excellent out west in drier and rockier conditions. But here in the wet soil, creek beds, tree roots, vegetation-covered grounds, etc. they don't inspire confidence.

I'd give them 7/10 on the road because they are quiet and smooth, but squirmy and heavy. I'd give them 5/10 on the trail because they are just average for an all terrain tire. If you run rocks a lot I'd give them a higher than 5/10 rating due to the sidewalls. It is also the most inexpensive tire of it's type on the market currently, so for value I'd give them a 7/10. If they weren't so damned heavy I'd rate them higher for value...but gasoline is expensive.
Perfect Description
__________________
-XJ- 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Gone
CF: Begrüßen Sie Hitler.. WF: Самый прекрасный коммунизм.. Pirate4x4: Oh Canada.. JF: Fail Rated
xjknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #14
biffgnar
Web Wheeler
 
biffgnar's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 12,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGeo View Post
You might want to go read anything else mentioned previously about what Currie ran. Maybe try looking up a youtube video which I just watched myself about Falken testing tires at KOH.

Falken Wildpeak AT. Not to mention that the Wildpeak AT is their only real offroad tire. So here are your choices: they claim to be running Wildpeak ATs which have been aggressively modified and are not indicative of the factory product that people will be running on their vehicles

OR:

They're using what I claimed: a completely one-off designed tire that is simply NAMED the Falken Wildpeak AT.

Try again, tough guy.
I was there, saw the tires and talked with Gerald about it. IIRC the tires are regular wildpeaks, but there was definitely a custom grooving that Casey Currie came up with. Pretty sure rules for EMC would not allow for custom one-off tire composition.
__________________
Thank you Dave Cole, Dynomax, Falken and all the Spec Class sponsors!!
biffgnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #15
Rancho_Lifts
Vendor
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 427
One and the same, I saw the Falken crew take a stock tire and then groove it to this pattern while out at King of The Hammers.
Edit, should have read BIFFGNAR's post first. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGeo View Post
So their win was only because of the tires. Special one-off tires that aren't anywhere close to the factory Wildpeak AT tread design, and I'm willing to bet that their rubber compounds were special as well. Got it. And I guess they chose to put Falken's logo prominently on their vehicle as opposed to some other tire manufacturer's who offered more money?







Yeah. totally the same tire.

I can't even sit here looking at them and find any way of believing that they're the same tire just grooved. The circumferential grooves on Gerald's Jeep are quite a bit more staggered than those found on the factory tires, which have very graceful sweeping lines to them.
__________________
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic302198_8.gifRancho Suspension has been in business for over 50 years. Rancho products are proudly made in the USA!
Ask about our 90 day money back guarantee and lifetime warranty.
Follow us on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/ranchosuspension/
Rancho_Lifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.