Help With Tire Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Help With Tire Replacement

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 07-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
kaizenn
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Help With Tire Replacement

Hi everyone! This is my first post here, and Iíve only owned a Jeep for a couple months. I have an í02 Sport which the previous owner had lifted. It currently has what I assume are the factory 15x7 steel black rims, with 33x12.50R15LT Goodyear Wrangler tires installed. Not sure on the model, but they have very aggressive tread and look like monsters.

I love the tires, and they look awesome, but they are just obnoxiously loud. And they make the whole Jeep float and bounce around and just generally unsafe feeling over 60 mph, which I have to do a lot, since this is my daily driver. I will do some offroad stuff, but never anything crazy.

My main question is what can I downgrade my tires to? I want to keep as much of the strong and beefy look as I can, and Iíd like to keep 33Ē tires if I can, but I want something quieter and smoother and safe-feeling (even on my 15Ē rims) up to 80mph. Any recommendations? (My secondary question- any idea how tell how much lift I have?)

Thanks everyone!

kaizenn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 12:22 AM   #2
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

What gearing is in the diffs?

How much lift?

Are the shocks good? What brand/model shocks?

Are you sure you wheels are 15 x 7? Is is possible they might be 15 x 8?

I need to know those things before I can recommend a tire size. Though I can already tell you I'll probably recommend a 9.5 or 10.5" wide tire because they are better on highway, IME. Most likely a 10.5 because those are avsilable in some taller heights.

For which tires to consider, I suggest a good AT. See this thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/n...e-one-1527835/
Unread 07-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
kaizenn
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Unfortunately the guy I bought it from gave me zero info, as he had zero info himself. Iím hoping to change that. Iíll research ways to verify the diffs/lift/shocks, but Iím starting from zero, as I know how to do nothing at this point.

Iím not sure the rims are 15x7- that is the stock rim size according to the sticker inside my driverís door, but somebody on another forum said they definitely donít look like factory. He said they look like Procomp D window steel wheels. So they may very well be 15x8.

Any suggestions on how to start looking for all of the above info? Iíll start searching, but an head start from you guys would be awesome.

So far my two suggestions are the Cooper STT or the Mickey Thompson MTZ.
Unread 07-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Those aren't stock wheels. Looks like the "d widow" steel wheel that is made from a number of manufactures.

From that angle they look like the old style MTRs. I'm sure it says this on the sidewall if you where to look there.

Most any aggressive off road tire (the Copper STT and the the MT MTZ definitely fall into this category) will be loud on the road. Some are worse than others though. There isn't too much you can do about it.

Your issues can be from a number of things including bad tire wear or worn out suspension components. You really should inspect the rest of the suspension for play or things that look worn out. Just putting new tires on may not fix it.
rchase559 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
kaizenn
2002 TJ Wrangler 

They are the MT/Rs, I just verified. So they are technically offroad tires.

What if I get a hybrid like the Duratrac, or a nice A/T, like the Cooper AT3, or the Firestone Destination? Since my only offroading is trails and stuff (pretty light) then that should be fine, right? Will they look small and weak in comparison I wonder? I assume they would have better road performance (gas mileage, noise levels, stability, etc).

Also, I'm definitely going to have a shop check out my suspension components- thanks for the tip!
Unread 07-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizenn View Post
They are the MT/Rs, I just verified. So they are technically offroad tires.

What if I get a hybrid like the Duratrac, or a nice A/T, like the Cooper AT3, or the Firestone Destination? Since my only offroading is trails and stuff (pretty light) then that should be fine, right? Will they look small and weak in comparison I wonder? I assume they would have better road performance (gas mileage, noise levels, stability, etc).

Also, I'm definitely going to have a shop check out my suspension components- thanks for the tip!
Cooper AT3 would be ideal, IMO.

Have a look at this thread for AT tires: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/n...e-one-1527835/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.