Help! Ruined my soft 8's????? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Help! Ruined my soft 8's?????

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
shatteredsoul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Help! Ruined my soft 8's?????

So I did a super dumb thing to my new wheels last week, I had family due in so I was in a hurry cleaning up my Jeep. I ended up spraying some Lysol brand all puropse cleaner on my wheels to help get the dirt off before washing them off with the car wash.

After I sprayed them off I noticed they still had a white haze to them almost like the soap had dried on them but it wasnt. From everything I read so far it looks like it has did some sort of chemical etch in paint/powdercoat. I have tried a baking soda peroxide mix, engine degreaser, Zymol cleaner wax, mag wheel polish and rubbing compund and it still wont come off.

Has anyone else ran into this problem with their steel wheels or know of some sort of chemical I could use to get this off so I can apply a good coating of wax and buff them back to their former glory????? I need something pretty strong that wont cause any more damage. Thanks for any and all help. Pics are located here and show what they did look like compared to what they look like now.

http://public.fotki.com/jakemilburn/wheels-1/

shatteredsoul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Solution: go and rub them up against a rock. Haze or no haze no one will notice
Worst case you can always put a coat of paint on them
Good luck!
Unread 07-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
MotoSoul
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would try using a clay bar treatment that you would normally use when detailing a car on them. If that doesn't get it off you might have to try wet sanding / repainting them.
I like the arms, they are a good solution, but they really aren't worth the effort for the average person and you already see the BS that goes on over bushings VS JJ's, the crap that would go on over J arms would be epic.[/QUOTE]
MotoSoul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
Renegade88
2006 LJ Wrangler 

cant help you with what might help cleaning them but I would just throw a coat of flat black on them and be done.

PanhandlePierFishing.com
Renegade88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
Zew

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The lysol burned the paint. Scuff them, prep wipe them and spray paint them.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited - Kolak Ignition upgrade, K&N CAI, DT Headers w 3" Kolak exhaust/Flowmaster 50/Magnaflow CAT, Front/Rear Baer Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Front/Rear EBC Greenstuff Pads, Alpine CD/MP3/iPod Control Deck, RF 6.5 Power Series Separates

My V8 swap thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/my-5-2-v8-swap-618350/
Zew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Lysol might have an idea or two. I'd call the customer support number on the can/bottle.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #7
frank_c
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
Lysol might have an idea or two. I'd call the customer support number on the can/bottle.
The phone number is probably under the line that reads "do not spray on painted wheels."
83 Wagoneer
frank_c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2012, 02:36 AM   #8
ColoradoCorey
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I had the same kind of haze on my d windows, I used mothers on mine and clean they became. Hope it works for you.
ColoradoCorey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2012, 06:41 AM   #9
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoCorey View Post
...I used mothers on mine and clean they became...
Yoda? Is that you?
Unread 07-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #10
shatteredsoul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Which Mothers product did you use Colorado?
Unread 07-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #11
ColoradoCorey
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Mothers, power metal, for all buffer types, aluminum. That's what the label says. I will upload some before and after pics later.
ColoradoCorey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #12
shatteredsoul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I ended up getting a powerball and used some different polishes as well as some zymol wax, they look better and you cant really notice the fading until you get about 5 feet from them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.