HELP BFG KM2's or BFG AT ko's - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > HELP BFG KM2's or BFG AT ko's

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 08-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
massjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

HELP BFG KM2's or BFG AT ko's

there seems to be a lot of talk on this forum supporting KM2's as being quite highway friendly for an MT tire. i am putting together a '06 RUBI LJ and will rarely offroad compared to the amount of time on the highway and back roads. I have used BFG AT's before and found them to be very quiet on the highway. can anyone give me first hand insight as to how quiet or noisy the KM2's are on the highway? last question, should i buy new rims from say american racing or use the stock MOAB wheels and buy spacers? many thanks for all help given. John

massjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2009, 05:32 PM   #2
Buckster
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You should look into the new Goodyear AT. I cant think what they are called but you will get better wear than the KM 2's and have a more aggressive tread/sidewall/looks than the BFG A/T's. Kinda wish I bought them instead. I do not off-road enough the justify MT's

here they are.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/g...55/index7.html
www.swopeauto.com

Last edited by Buckster; 08-24-2009 at 07:48 PM.. Reason: Update
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

No MT will last as long or be as quiet as an AT.That being said,I have always bought Mickey Thompson MTZ's.They last good and are pretty quiet on the road as they wear.I like the aggressive tread much better than an AT.

TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2009, 06:40 PM   #4
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Goodyear Duratracs FTW!!

Hybrid MT/AT and look bad ***.
Unread 08-24-2009, 07:21 PM   #5
_TIM_
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Im running 32in KM2s and there is some road noise, which I expected when I bought an M/T. (I also went from bald GS-A's to the Km2's)That being said, the road noise is very tolerable. I have made a 3 1/2 hr highway drive with them and I just turned up the music a bit more. You can still hold a conversation without yelling.
If your going to be driving on the highway a-lot I would most likely get the A/T's, just because of tire wear.
I love my Km2s and will most likely buy them again!
Unread 08-24-2009, 07:38 PM   #6
+Crusader+

You're onroad a lot and you're out in Boston, so I would get the KO's because of the snow, and then I would tell Senator Kennedy to drive himself off a bridge and into the water. His hot air could keep him alive down there.
Unread 08-24-2009, 07:44 PM   #7
massjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

ok, thanks. as for kennedy last time he drove off the bridge he survived and his passenger did not...
massjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2009, 08:07 PM   #8
wl07
2005 LJ Wrangler 

BFG allterrain will get you probably 60k miles a little less if you use offroad.
wl07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2009, 05:49 AM   #9
+Crusader+

Update: Hold off on that request for Kennedy, seems the Lord God Almighty Himself already heard one man's humble prayer.

Ted Kennedy, Senate Lion and Liberal Champion, Dies at 77 - Political News - FOXNews.com
Unread 09-01-2009, 11:02 PM   #10
Aevrubi06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The Km2's are awesome, im jealous cause i have a buddy running them and they haven't worn down one bit and have prob close to ten thousand miles on them on and offroad. His brother on the other hand wasn't too lucky with the all terrains, he punctured two side walls on two brand new tires. I'd say go with the KM2's you'll be much more satisfied.
Aevrubi06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2009, 04:13 AM   #11
+Crusader+

But he says he will rarely go offroad. The KO sidewalls are adequate for an A/T tire, and as milktoast as the KM2's are on dry roads, the ice and increase in economy of the A/T makes it the more ideal tire for him, don't ya think.
Unread 09-02-2009, 03:15 PM   #12
sstaurus
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006sport View Post
Goodyear Duratracs FTW!!

Hybrid MT/AT and look bad ***.
x2

The Duratracs are an MT, but rated as an AT since they're siped. Only problem is they come in odd sizes.

Does anyone think a skinny 33x10.5 KM2 or a 33x12.5 Duratrac would be better in the snow/ice?
Unread 09-02-2009, 07:17 PM   #13
ZJJAMES
1996 ZJ 

KM2s are great on and off road
ZJJAMES is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2009, 08:00 PM   #14
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstaurus View Post
x2

The Duratracs are an MT, but rated as an AT since they're siped. Only problem is they come in odd sizes.

Does anyone think a skinny 33x10.5 KM2 or a 33x12.5 Duratrac would be better in the snow/ice?
Well the Duratracs are rated for severe snow conditions, they are siped which will help out on snow and ice. I looked at them at the goodyear dealer today and I was impressed, even compared to my aggressive ATs these things look mean. I would defiantly put them into the MT category. The Duratracs are going to be my next tire for sure now. That and they are about $25 a tire cheaper than the KM2s. If you do a lot of rock climbing though I can see the KM2s being better since we know how well the Krawlers do on the rocks. I think the Duratracs will hold there own, I just think the KM2s would be better for rocks because of the proven design.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2009, 04:26 AM   #15
+Crusader+

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstaurus View Post
Although you should be applying more lb/psi with the narrower KM2, I still think it's lack of biting edges would make it so the wider Duratrac is better, especially on ice?

Having not used my own KM2's (12.50) on snow/ice I can't speak from experience, but those that have say they are fairly typical of a MT tire: good in the snow, and average amongst mud terrains on the ice. I plan on siping my center tread blocks before the winter though, so keeping plenty of air pressure in them should make them fair quite well for any tire without studs or chains on it.

Last edited by +Crusader+; 09-22-2009 at 05:12 AM..
+Crusader+ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.