Help: 33x10.50 Toyo M/Ts on Ravines rubbing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Help: 33x10.50 Toyo M/Ts on Ravines rubbing

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Jeep JK Wrangler NEW Heat Reducing Performance Vented HoodARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits

Unread 05-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
UnlimitedJDB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Help: 33x10.50 Toyo M/Ts on Ravines rubbing

I just put a 3" zone lift on my LJ and went with Toyo MT 33x10.50s so I could keep my painted raviens. Based on what I have read they shouldn't rub but they are on the lower arms at full lock on flat ground. I haven't taken it off road yet, but I'm concerned I'm going to have other rubbing issues when flexed.

So my question is will extending my steering stops be enough to fix the issue? If so does any one know how much it needs to be extended by?

OR

Would I be better off getting wheel spacers? 3/4"?

I haven't seen any other rigs with this wheel/tire/lift combo, but I'm hoping someone has been faced with the same problem and can offer some advice so I don't have to sort it out by trial and error and potentially break something...

Thanks,

J

UnlimitedJDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I currently own an XJ, but previously owned an LJ.

A 33 x 10.5 R15 BFG on a Ravine would fit fine, IMO.

But Toyo MT 33 x 10.5 R15 is a half inch taller and one inch taller than BFG, IME. That's the problem.

So you're running a tire that is really a tallish 33x11.5.

I suggest adjusting steer stops to eliminate rubbing. Then see if your turning radius is still acceptible.

Another thing you can do is get rounded LCAs in front. That gives more clearance.

Are you sure the tire is rubbing the LCA? When I put 33x11.5 tires on stock wheels on my LJ, one front tire would rub the swaybar when turning sharp.

On my LJ, tire would rub swaybar before LCA.

If rubbing swaybay, adjust steer stops. Then see if you still have a good enough turning radius.

I solved my rubbing by installing a Currie Anti-Rock (adjustable) sway bar. It has much more tire clearance and better on and off road ride.
Unread 05-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

P.S. - the above is your best course of a action, IMO.

New wheels should not be necessary.

However, if you do get new wheels, I suggest 15 x 8 with 4.5 BS.
Unread 05-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Since you are in a climate with wet pavement, snow, and ice; I highly recommend having tire store add extra sipes to Toyo MT so you have good wet road and Winter traction.
Unread 05-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
UnlimitedJDB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I will start with trowing some washers behind the stops and go from there.
The are rubbing the LCA for sure. I pulled into a parking spot heard the rub, jumped out and looked and it was polished right where the tire would hit. The swaybar looks like it is well out of the way, but I will double check...but again this was flat, so flexed it may be an issue.

Having just spend $2500 on lift and tires I will deal with the wider turning radius for now if that solves it and then look at round LCAs or different wheels when the funds are available.
Unread 05-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
UnlimitedJDB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Also I will look into having tires siped. Any idea is this will decrease the life?

We get snow and ice maybe 2 days a year here, but we do get a lot of rain. Any snow wheeling will be on unmaintained logging roads, so I'm not worried about ice.
Unread 05-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
UnlimitedJDB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I guess another question is, if I can get it to stop rubbing on flat ground will it still rub when flexed?

I have the zone disco so I'm not sure if that will make a difference?

Thanks again.
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #8
bondosgto
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
P.S. - the above is your best course of a action, IMO.

New wheels should not be necessary.

However, if you do get new wheels, I suggest 15 x 8 with 4.5 BS.
Why not 3.75 or 4.0. BS?
bondosgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #9
UnlimitedJDB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well I put two washers in the stops and that fixes it in one direction, but I'm still concerned about the sway bar when it's disconnected. Might be able to get away with one washer, but I'll drive it like this for a bit and see if I loose too much radius.

So, should I be worried about it rubing the sway when I'm wheelin disco? I assume I can get them out of the way with the straps but I haven't tried yet.
Unread 05-13-2013, 12:34 AM   #10
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedJDB View Post
I guess another question is, if I can get it to stop rubbing on flat ground will it still rub when flexed?

I have the zone disco so I'm not sure if that will make a difference?

Thanks again.
I don't know. Try it and find out. That's what I'd do.
Unread 05-13-2013, 12:42 AM   #11
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondosgto View Post
Why not 3.75 or 4.0. BS?
Because the less the BS, the more strain it puts on steering system, wheel bearings, trackbar, suspension bushings, etc. This increases wear on those parts and IMO makes death wobble more likely.

Also, 4.5 BS would defineatley fit-clear those tires (with room to spare) and still have full turning radius. So no reason for less than 4.5 BS. In fact, 5" BS would clear those tires.

Hopefully he can get enough clearance with stock wheels with 5.5 BS by adjusting steer stops (and possibly getting round LCAs). That would be ideal, if he can get it to fit-clear and still have good enough turning radius.
Unread 05-13-2013, 12:46 AM   #12
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedJDB View Post
Also I will look into having tires siped. Any idea is this will decrease the life?

We get snow and ice maybe 2 days a year here, but we do get a lot of rain. Any snow wheeling will be on unmaintained logging roads, so I'm not worried about ice.
Siping increases tire life (if you aren't a serious rock crawler).

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.