Have you ever wondered how much a taller tire increases floation? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Have you ever wondered how much a taller tire increases floation?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 11-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Have you ever wondered how much a taller tire increases floation?

I wondered how much increasing tire height 1.2" would affect flotation compared to increasing width.

I'm looking at Cooper AT3 here.

My 30 x 9.5 R15 are 29.3" tall. If I increased to a 245/75R16 it would be 30.5" x 9.5".

I wondered how increasing height affected floation compared to increasing width.

According to my calcs 30.5/29.3 = 1.04

1.04 * 9.5" = 9.89"

9.89- 9.5 = 0.39" which I will round to 0.4".

So in effect, increasing from 30 x 9.5 to 31 x 9.5 (245/75R16) has an equivalent effect on floation as adding 0.4" to the width of a 30" tire.

i.e. - a 245/75R16 tire has same flotation that a 30 x 10" tire would have.

The 245 has less debri to plow ahead of it (in mud, sand, or snow) and has a better angle of attack due to larger diameter (compared to a 30 x 10).

A 31" x 10.5" would have equal floation to a 30 x 11" tire.

So there are some interesting thoughts, IMO.

Unread 11-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Based on figures in my earlier post:

Increasing from a 30 x 9.5 to a 31 x 9.5 (245/75R16) would increase my floation 4%.

Increasing from a 30 x 9.5 to a 30 x 10 would increase my floation 4%.

Increasing from a 30 x 9.5 to a 31 x 10.5 would increase my floation 14.5%.

I know from prior years experience with various Jeeps, tire sizes, and amounts of gear that I like enough floation to get me by on sand (when aired down), but little enough floation to let me have good grip on Winter roads without having to air down.

I got that ^ beautifully from a stock 96 XJ with 30 x 9.5 tires.

But my 99 XJ recently weighs 4% more due to gear added to it (skid plates, light winch mount and light winch with syn rope). So now 30 x 9.5 tires no longer give me enough floation for sand, even aired down. I'd sink to much. It'd be great on Winter roads, but poor on sand.

I want to add 4% floation back to it with larger tires so I'm back at the same contact pressure I had with a stock XJ on 30 x 9.5 tires. I know from experience that is low enough contact pressure to work on sand, and high enough to work good on Winter roads.

So I was trying to decided whether to upgrade tires to 245/75R16C (31 x 9.5) or 31x10.5R15 tires. I want to add as close as possible to 4% to my flotation, or to say that another way, I want to reduce my contact pressure 4%.

So after doing the math, I know that 31 x 10.5 would decrease contact pressure (increase flotation) to much, while 245/75R16 tires would be perfect (for what I want). I already suspected this intuitively, but now I've confirmed it mathematically.
Unread 11-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
jimk403
2009 JK Wrangler 

I have suspected that taller tires would result increased contact, just never did the math. If we had snow enough to worry about, I would have to find a 35x10.50 for the wifes JK.
Unread 11-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimk403 View Post
I have suspected that taller tires would result increased contact, just never did the math. If we had snow enough to worry about, I would have to find a 35x10.50 for the wifes JK.
There are no 35 x 10.5 that I know of, but there are one or two 35 x 11.5, such as the Trxus MT (lots of sipes for Winter) 35 x 12.5, which is really a 35 x 11.5 in real life.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.