Hankook Dynapro ATM Cold Weather Performance - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Hankook Dynapro ATM Cold Weather Performance

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-15-2014, 10:32 AM   #1
dtbingle
2011 KK Liberty 

Hankook Dynapro ATM Cold Weather Performance

Currently I have Hankook Dynapro ATM P225/75R16 XL 106T tires on my 2011 Liberty. They were bought in October 2012 and not even used during the summer months and up until this point, have only had 18k'ish miles on them. During the first winter, they were great on ice and snow and I was definitely impressed. Next time around (2nd winter), they have been terrible. In 2WD, I slip a ton and have trouble moving from a stop, even when there's only a little bit of snow on the ground. During the first winter, I rarely had to take it out of 2WD and had no problems. Granted, this second winter has been much colder, but I still don't get why these are performing so bad now. Has anyone else experienced this or heard these things about the hankook dynapros before?

dtbingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2014, 10:52 AM   #2
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

You've worn away some of the tread and sipe depth since the first winter. Repeated heat/cool cycles of the rubber has hardened the compound since you first got them. Your tire pressure may not have been ideal during this second winter. This second winter was significantly colder with much more precipitation/accumulation.

Despite what tire companies would have you believe, even winter service rated (mountain and snowflake symbol) all-terrain tires pale in comparison to true winter tires at temperatures below 45 deg F even if there is no snow.

Sent from my phone
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2014, 12:18 PM   #3
dtbingle
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
You've worn away some of the tread and sipe depth since the first winter. Repeated heat/cool cycles of the rubber has hardened the compound since you first got them. Your tire pressure may not have been ideal during this second winter. This second winter was significantly colder with much more precipitation/accumulation.

Despite what tire companies would have you believe, even winter service rated (mountain and snowflake symbol) all-terrain tires pale in comparison to true winter tires at temperatures below 45 deg F even if there is no snow.

Sent from my phone
Makes sense, it's just surprising how differently they perform in just over a year going winter to winter. Guess I might be investing in true winter tires for next year. Keep the Hankooks for summer/fall and then replace my current summer set (stock tires and wheels) with winterforces or something like that.
Unread 04-15-2014, 05:28 PM   #4
WXman
2001 WJ 

I will say that there are lots of reviews that say the same thing you've noticed.. they are awesome for the first year then as they wear the traction drops off very quickly. I only had mine for a short time so I guess I never got to find out. But the more reviews like yours I see, the less I want to consider the ATm tire for future purchases.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2014, 01:11 AM   #5
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I doubt that tire wear or age had anything to do with it. They were still newish. Only 2 years old. I don't think the ATM is at fault.

I've had similar experiences as OP describes with 4 brands of AT performing good one Winter storm and bad the next, or vice versa.

Often it was tire pressure that was different and caused traction differences.
I personally find traction much better when I remember to let out 4 or 5 psi. You need to figure out (by testing) what psi gives you best traction in nasty conditions.
Temp and humidity vary from storm to storm and can make a big difference to traction. Every storm has its own conditions. This last Winter was exceptionally slick and brutal.
Unread 04-22-2014, 01:29 AM   #6
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I suggest next Winter know your tire pressure and test different pressures to figure out what works best for your tires/vehicle on ice/snow.

Also, realize every storm is different and traction will vary.

If that ^ doesn't get it done for you adequately, next option is get studded Winter tires.
Unread 04-22-2014, 04:52 AM   #7
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

My Kumho SAT's did the same thing, and I can tell Charley that it had nothing to do with tire pressure in my case. I bought them in Autumn, and they were great in their first winter. The following winters were much more disappointing and utilized the same pressure as the first. Many years of my own experience playing with tires in WI winters vehemently disagrees with Charley's conclusion that pressure reduction is beneficial in winter, but it's not hard to do your own experimentation to see for yourself if it helps or not. It doesn't take long before that new, supple rubber hardens due to UV exposure and repeated heat/cool cycles--it happens within a single year--and I have no doubt that was a major factor in my case. Tread wear was also likely a factor in my case as I put 12-15k miles on per year--that's a fifth to a quarter of the tread gone in the first year.

I've gone back to using a winter tire set in winter. Other than storage, there's really no solid reason for anyone not to. In the long run, it's not any more expensive to you since driving on one set means preserving the other, so all your tires last longer time-wise and last just as long as they should mileage-wise. I swap sets during an oil change when I'd already be doing a tire rotation, so it's not even any extra work for me. I do not use studded tires for two reasons: they're illegal in WI; studless tire technology is to the point where many studless winter tires are consistently outperforming studded tires in most conditions even including raw ice. Studs are becoming more and more of an exception than a rule in terms of winter traction. People don't experiment and test winter tires as much as other tires though, so word of which are the great ones and why doesn't really get around as much.
Unread 04-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #8
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I've had a few brands be better their second Winter. Possibly because by then I had a better feel for what tire pressure they needed for snow and especially ice. But also, every Winter is different.
Unread 04-23-2014, 01:00 PM   #9
dtbingle
2011 KK Liberty 

Yeah I tried different tire pressures from 39psi down to 30psi. Any lower and I didn't feel comfortable with how big the sidewall bulge got.
Unread 04-23-2014, 03:05 PM   #10
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

When I said every Winter storm is different...

Inuit have 93 different types of ice in their vocabulary according to an online source I read.

That's just ice. I don't how many types of snow.

Clearly every Winter event has the potential to have different traction characteristics. Different is likely.

So how much of the traction differences from one year's storm to the next is the conditions?
Unread 04-24-2014, 10:08 AM   #11
dtbingle
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
When I said every Winter storm is different...

Inuit have 93 different types of ice in their vocabulary according to an online source I read.

That's just ice. I don't how many types of snow.

Clearly every Winter event has the potential to have different traction characteristics. Different is likely.

So how much of the traction differences from one year's storm to the next is the conditions?
I get what you're saying. It just bothers me that my roommates old Grand am has winterforces on the front and old summer tires on the back, but is also to get around just as well, if not with less slipping and sliding, than my liberty in 4WD with "winter rated" ATM tires.
Unread 04-24-2014, 01:44 PM   #12
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbingle View Post
I get what you're saying. It just bothers me that my roommates old Grand am has winterforces on the front and old summer tires on the back, but is also to get around just as well, if not with less slipping and sliding, than my liberty in 4WD with "winter rated" ATM tires.
Do you have stock size tires? I don't know what's stock on Liberty.
Unread 04-24-2014, 04:42 PM   #13
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbingle View Post
It has dedicated winter tires on its driving/steering wheels. Of course it's going to do better. Your friend really should use winter tires in the rear even though they don't drive or steer--loss of traction in the rear of a FWD vehicle can still be very dangerous.

You're underestimating what a true winter tire can do and overestimating what a bureaucratic label (severe service emblem) means. I only know of one tire that I've ever gained any experience with that I'd use year-round while still trusting it to be almost as good as a winter tire in winter: Nokian WRG3
Unread 04-24-2014, 04:59 PM   #14
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
It has dedicated winter tires on its driving/steering wheels. Of course it's going to do better. Your friend really should use winter tires in the rear even though they don't drive or steer--loss of traction in the rear of a FWD vehicle can still be very dangerous.

You're underestimating what a true winter tire can do and overestimating what a bureaucratic label (severe service emblem) means.
I agree with that. Though his RMA snowflake rated Hankook ATM should be decent. But a true Winter tire with studs is best in Winter.
Unread 04-29-2014, 03:24 PM   #15
dtbingle
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
Do you have stock size tires? I don't know what's stock on Liberty.
P225/75R16

Where can you buy Nokian WRG3's and how much do they typically cost?

Also, looking at the firestone winterforces, they have the tires in my size in the LT and UV version. Do I need the LT versions or will the UV version suffice? I don't plan on towing anything. The UV version was about $90-100/tire whereas the LT version was $150ish/tire.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.