goodyear wrangler duratrac - Page 140 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > goodyear wrangler duratrac

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #2086
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

They also weigh a decent amount more. Rolling mass is important to many areas, less is more

Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #2087
jimk403
Age and experience
2009 JK Wrangler 

Uh-huh. People that care about weight or rolling resistance are looking for mpg's. The same people who should not have bought a Jeep in the first place.
Unread 12-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #2088
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimk403 View Post
Uh-huh. People that care about weight or rolling resistance are looking for mpg's. The same people who should not have bought a Jeep in the first place.
Would those be the same people who buy aluminum armor to save weight?

My Duratrac's treated me just as good in Moab as my MTRk's did, but wore a whole lot better on the way there and back, and since my TJ is never going to be a trailer queen I need to find something that wears well and gives offroad performance. Now I'm not saying Duratracs are better than Toyo's....since I haven't tried both, but they are, thus far, holding up well and suiting my needs. I do however still have a place in my heart for TrXus MT's.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2013, 09:13 PM   #2089
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you think weight is just about mpgs you need to get out more.
Unread 12-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #2090
jimk403
Age and experience
2009 JK Wrangler 

I digress. At first I thought the Duratracs were great as well. But not being one to follow the crowd, I went a different route this time. I am glad I did. The Toyos are heavier but mileage improved, wet traction is better, absolutely no hydroplaning, and forward progress in mud is at least the same if not better.
To top it off, they were $42 each cheaper the the Duratracs.
Win-win all around.
Oh, and read the first line of my sig.
Unread 12-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #2091
tophog
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I like you're heart Really like mine but it's not a DD. I tried my hardest to like the MTR's but after Discount Tire could only find 6 round ones out of 8 I gave up and they replaced them with the Truxus MT's at my request. Haven't been happier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
Would those be the same people who buy aluminum armor to save weight?

My Duratrac's treated me just as good in Moab as my MTRk's did, but wore a whole lot better on the way there and back, and since my TJ is never going to be a trailer queen I need to find something that wears well and gives offroad performance. Now I'm not saying Duratracs are better than Toyo's....since I haven't tried both, but they are, thus far, holding up well and suiting my needs. I do however still have a place in my heart for TrXus MT's.
tophog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #2092
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I digress. At first I thought the Duratracs were great as well. But not being one to follow the crowd, I went a different route this time. I am glad I did. The Toyos are heavier but mileage improved, wet traction is better, absolutely no hydroplaning, and forward progress in mud is at least the same if not better.
To top it off, they were $42 each cheaper the the Duratracs.
Win-win all around.
Oh, and read the first line of my sig.
Fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophog View Post
I like you're heart Really like mine but it's not a DD. I tried my hardest to like the MTR's but after Discount Tire could only find 6 round ones out of 8 I gave up and they replaced them with the Truxus MT's at my request. Haven't been happier.

When I hit stage 3 of my build I just may be going back to TrXus MT's.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #2093
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
heavier tires/rims hurt in a few ways
every pound of unsprung weight is roughly equal to 7 lbs of body weight
20lb heavier tires x 4 = 80lbs x 7 = 560lbs thats not a small difference

then you have added leverage stressing brakes and steering components

and yes, mpg simply due to less rolling mass to start and stop

mpg is a by product, but a nice one
Unread 01-29-2014, 05:49 PM   #2094
jeepjamesw1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
I do however still have a place in my heart for TrXus MT's.
I wish they still made the TrXus MT in 255x85R16. I like the Duratrac for its lighter weight and ability in the desert terrain.

"Originally Posted by jimk403 View Post - Uh-huh. People that care about weight or rolling resistance are looking for mpg's. The same people who should not have bought a Jeep in the first place."

Don't you just hate people that buy a jeep then add big tires and lots of weight then complain they can't get over 65mph in high gear and have poorer mpg. My jeep will go 80+, proved it on the way to Moab one year, but last couple of years I have not gone over 60 mph on payment but have exceeded 65mph out in the west desert over washboard roads. Sorry jimk403 should I care about MPG, maybe? I could tanker some extra fuel but this takes up room and the extra weight might reduce my mpg. Heaven forbid. Weight and rolling resistance can be important for various reasons. The Duratrac being lighter may have been made to fulfill this purpose. They seem to be quite popular for some reason. A low powered engine along with a heavier weighted vehicle is just asking for lower performance and the tires can make some of the biggest difference in its ability. Maybe you are right jimk403 they should of bought a Supercharged Range Rover Sport instead. I'm not sure what this has to do with Duratrac tires though.

As far as "E" rated tires, my OE MTR's road fairly good at 20psi street or 10psi off road (cold). After 30K miles I had only slightly more wear on the outside lugs. I've only lost one valve stem during this time, caused by the Moab rocks, but no flats, lost beads or sidewall failures. I assume the "E" rated Duratrac would be similar or even better with its tread wear than the old MTR's and ride about as rough.
jeepjamesw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 09:05 PM   #2095
czechsky
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Suited my needs when it came driving in the wrath of the 'winter vortex'..
010514191112.jpg  
czechsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2014, 02:37 PM   #2096
jeepjamesw1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I heard rumors on another site that someone was having trouble getting the Wrangler Duratrac from a Sears Store. Has anyone heard of anyone else having trouble getting the Duratrac in the size they wanted? He was after the 31x10.5x15 size or something close to this. I think the 245 & 265x75R16 size is still quite popular and available.
jeepjamesw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2014, 03:21 PM   #2097
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Rotating mass also affects braking and acceleration a lot.

Also, wheel/tire weight is also unsprung weight, which affects ride quality, handling, and traction when driving faster than a crawl.

Increases rotating mass and unsprung weight increases parts wear and breakage.

And yes, rotating mass also affects gas mileage too.
Unread 03-02-2014, 05:42 AM   #2098
sjc115

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjamesw1 View Post
I heard rumors on another site that someone was having trouble getting the Wrangler Duratrac from a Sears Store. Has anyone heard of anyone else having trouble getting the Duratrac in the size they wanted? He was after the 31x10.5x15 size or something close to this. I think the 265x75R16 size is still quite popular and available.
The Goodyear store in my area is able to get the 31x10.50x15 (their warehouse has them in stock), but the salesman told me that they are discontinuing the 31x10.50x15. I can't imagine it's true since that is a popular size and they already offer it, but that's what he told me.

I just ordered a set on 31x10.50's online (the local store was about 40% more expensive). Hopefully I have no problems getting them.
sjc115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2014, 02:34 PM   #2099
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

When you buy tires online, who mounts and balances them? Who does your alignment?
Unread 03-02-2014, 02:43 PM   #2100
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
When you buy tires online, who mounts and balances them? Who does your alignment?
Your local tire shop. I got rims at the same time and tire rack mounted them and balanced them before shipment.

I would never pay someone to align a tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.