goodyear wrangler duratrac - Page 139 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > goodyear wrangler duratrac

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 02-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #2071
jeremy04949
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I ain't got all day to argue about this. Duratracs with the old mtr carcass equals what should have been done with this tire. Cooper st, st maxx, MT atz, Toyo m55, are what I consider better option. Done.

jeremy04949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:57 AM   #2072
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

So sorry you are a busy man, sounds like you are pissed off about something and just spouting hate with nothing to back it. And then you throw out some of the heaviest and most expensive tires in that class. Glad you are following along with the class.
Ironhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 12:06 AM   #2073
torchd
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy04949
Glad to see my post got popular. I'm not trolling like some would think. Im running 31" duras. its just my opinion on the tires.
I have 31" DuraTracs and these are the best tires I've used.. Go back either in this page or the page before and read my posts regarding the DuraTracs!!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

[b][color=red]2002 Trans Am[/b][/color]
Cam, Full Exhaust, Stock Heads, Stock LS6 Intake and Stock 10 bolt with 3.42s
[b]420 RWHP and 382 RWHTQ[/b]
torchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #2074
taylorcraftbc65

I have a 1998 Turbo Diesel Pickup that we take to town (ElPaso, 90 miles away), twice, sometimes three times a month, rain, or shine. We live a mile off the closest paved road, and the mile long dirt road, gets "interesting" when it gets soaked. (does the phrase dog excrement on wet grass give you an idea HOW slick?).
The problem is that MT's don't last long on the road to ElPaso, it was built out of that recycled garbage, is rough, very noisy, and wears out ANY tires on anything quickly, and my truck uses 245X75-16's, which don't have many AT's that are affordable to someone on V.A. Disability checks. It seems like these tires might do the trick for a pickup that is NEVER wheeled, (it's only 2WD), but needs to be able to travel that wet clay mile long road several times a year.
Brie
taylorcraftbc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #2075
JonRogers

We put 265/75 16's on my girls about a year ago. I believe they are a great all around tire for what she uses it for (second vehicle it only gets used for beach, snow, and swamp rides). Now on to the photos:

JonRogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #2076
jimk403
Age and experience
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy04949 View Post
Over priced. Sidewall is questionable. Likes to wear unevenly. For the price get the MTR with Kevlar. If you stay with Goodyear.
^^^This^^^
Unread 09-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #2077
prussell23
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Running Duratracs on my '12 Tacoma for 25K miles now. Love'em! Good for street driving. Quiet as BFG AT's. Stay balanced; can't say that for BFG. Great bite in snow. Don't have much to report on rock. I use my '04 Rubi for rock crawling. I will replace my BFG MT's on the Rubicon with Duratracs when it's time. IMHO, Goodyear has upped their offroad game with the Duratrac and the MTR. Both are great tires. I prefer Duratrac's tread pattern.

3-14 update
Put 33" DuraTracs on my TJ Rubi. Couldn't believe the diff in ride quality. I know, most of us didn't build our rig for the urban jungle, but let's face it, most of our miles are logged on pavement. I have not put the new treads to a good test on rock or mud yet. But so far, I'd have no hesitation in recommending them to anyone who wants offroad performance with a good roadside manner.

Last edited by prussell23; 03-05-2014 at 09:45 PM..
prussell23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 12:12 AM   #2078
nectoxicdragon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If you are having tires going out of balance you have other issues going on. The most common is the way the vehicle is being driven is causing wheel weights to be lost, and or the rim itself is flexing excessively and not coming back to it's original symmetry. Another thing that can cause it is misalignment which leads to bar tire wear, which should show up visually.

Now onto another topic in this thread... the vindictive attitude of some of the people when someone's opinion doesn't agree with theirs. Four words: GROW THE HELL UP! You are being ridiculous! Your opinions are NOT the gospel. People have reasons for their own opinions. I don't like Goodyear tires at all. over the forty plus years I've been driving, I've had too many issues with their products, If I buy a vehicle off the lot and it has their tires they get replaced immediately If I can specify others I do. The bottom line is I never trust a company that puts out a product line that's name incudes a supposedly top shelf and bottom shelf product. Duratracs are exactly that... and that is deceptive marketing.
nectoxicdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 06:00 AM   #2079
WXman
2001 WJ 

Well here's the thing.. there is a big demand now days for a tire that looks rugged with knobby sidewall tread and aggressive tread blocks, but at the same time is quiet on the road and is lightweight unlike a MT tire so fuel economy isn't affected. In other words, guys want to look good and play without the noise and terrible fuel economy. And that's where the Duratrac is positioned. It's one of the FEW tires on the market that meet this demand. So it's the perfect tire for lots of folks.

Does it replace a full MT in the rocks and deep mud? No. But then again it was not designed to! It says "all-terrain" on their website. Yes the sidwalls are paper thin like most Goodyear tires. But the good thing about this is the tire doesn't destroy your fuel economy if you're on the road a lot.

So I guess what I'm saying is the Duratrac is an excellent tire but it depends on your individual needs. The one thing that is ridiculous is the price. They are severely over-priced for 16+" wheel sizes. The 15" wheel sizes are reasonable.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 05:55 AM   #2080
Trendsetter75
Web Wheeler

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonRogers View Post
We put 265/75 16's on my girls about a year ago. I believe they are a great all around tire for what she uses it for (second vehicle it only gets used for beach, snow, and swamp rides). Now on to the photos:

Welcome to JF Where did you get those fishing pole holders on your front bumper?
Unread 12-26-2013, 08:54 PM   #2081
eaikau

Duratrac after 55,000 km - Siping diminished

After 55,000 kms the tread is still good at 3/8" deep. However, the sipes no longer run out to the edge of the tread blocks. When the tire was new the sipes were cut all the way out the edge of the tread allowing the tread block to separate. This was great for wet conditions, compact snow and ice. Now it's just tread blocks with sipes in the middle. I've attached pics of new vs 55,000 km.

Other than the siping issue these tires are working great for me with no problems so far.
02_55k.jpg   03_55k.jpg  
01_new.jpg

eaikau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #2082
jimk403
Age and experience
2009 JK Wrangler 

The new best all purpose tire.
Quit drinking the kool-aid.
20131227_183916.jpg

Unread 12-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #2083
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimk403 View Post
The new best all purpose tire.
Quit drinking the kool-aid.
If those are new, I'll pass.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #2084
jimk403
Age and experience
2009 JK Wrangler 

New as in newer than anything Goodyear. Those have 15k miles on them since July. Toyo Open Country AT2 Extreme.
Previously had Duratracs, the Toyos are better at EVERYTHING and no wimpy sidewalls.
Unread 12-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #2085
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimk403 View Post
New as in newer than anything Goodyear. Those have 15k miles on them since July. Toyo Open Country AT2 Extreme.
Previously had Duratracs, the Toyos are better at EVERYTHING and no wimpy sidewalls.
That looks like alot of wear for 15,000 miles, reminds me of my MTRk's wear...too fast more my DD needs.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.