Goodyear Wrangler Authority A/T Tires - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Goodyear Wrangler Authority A/T Tires

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 09-05-2010, 03:01 PM   #76
nicexj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Hey Guys, Just thought that I would post up a quick review. I purchased a pair of these to replace my balding MTRs. I don't wheel like I used to, so a less aggressive/expensive tire this time around is fine with me. I only bought 2 tires for the rear. The front will be replaced next weekend. Why do it in two weekends? Because every Wal-Mart around Denver/Boulder Colorado refused to mount anything other than stock tire sizes. I even took a Manager out to the parking lot and said "Look, there are already 31x10.5s on my XJ. And I want to replace those with your 31x10.5. Clearly there will be no issues." Still no go. It's policy, and they won't break it. So I jacked up my front end, left it on a spare, and the jack, and drove my Girl's Jeep to Walmart to mount up my fresh shoes.

I haven't put many miles on them yet, but they are quieter than the MT-Rs, and from what I can tell, only having two new tires, I really like the ride.

One strange thing is the area around the bead. It seems like it does something that my other tires don't. Not like it's mis mounted, but maybe it's designed to protect your rims a bit. Not sure. I'll take a picture, maybe you guys have some thoughts.

You can kind of see it in this picture.
Not my picture but it shows if you look close at the rim/bead area.

2001 XJ 3" Rusty's aal, 31x10.5 Good Year Authorities Powertrax No slip Locker in the rear
nicexj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2010, 04:07 PM   #77
ChargerX3
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, they are supposed to be like that. It protects your wheels from scratches. BTW those arent Authorities in the pic.
ChargerX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2010, 04:34 PM   #78
egodfrey
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I have a set of 31 authority's for sale...view the classifieds, and i loved them they gripped everything

sold

DO NOT DO WORK WITH DRAKEN OFFROAD IN NY!!!
(also known as dragons garage in Oneonta NY)
egodfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2010, 06:08 PM   #79
nicexj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Nice. Thanks for the input ChargerX3, also good eye, you're right those aren't Authorities. The guy who mounted them seemed to know what he was talking about, and is a Jeep guy too, so I didn't think that he would let that slide if it wasn't supposed to be like that. But I thought I would check with the community. I dig um though. Good tires so far!

2001 XJ 3" Rusty's aal, 31x10.5 Good Year Authorities Powertrax No slip Locker in the rear
nicexj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2010, 09:27 PM   #80
sprowley
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Little tidbit I learned reading sidewalls while having my new Canyons installed at WalMart tonight: all WAs are M+S, but the 31x10.5r15 are also Snowflake. That really surprised me, and I'm not quite sure why it's just the one size but there it is. I'm thinking about making these my winter tire now, I like the size and I like GY and that snowflake doesn't get put on a tire for nothing. Cheapest damned snowflake tires around too!

97 TJ Sport black on black with MT/R Kevlars and lots of new parts coming!

Canon EOS-1D Mark III, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon EF 17-35/2.8L USM, Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX USM

My Fuelly page (fuel economy and usage tracking)
sprowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2010, 12:44 AM   #81
JeepMan95ZJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

The walart I went to would mount 31's for me without asking but my rim wasnt right for the machine so they couldnt. But winter is here, wondering if anyones done any driving in any major snow and if they did how did they do?
Unread 12-03-2010, 01:41 AM   #82
DanZ51
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The snowflake only denotes the tread to void ratio. I've seen tires I wouldn't dare drive in the snow that have a "snowflake" rating. -Means nothing!

The Authority has done great for me in the snow. It's not a pure ice radial type snow tire, but then it doesn't wear (out) like one either.
Unread 12-03-2010, 07:13 PM   #83
spikestrip
1994 XJ Cherokee 

OK, so here is an update. I now have about 8k miles on my Authorities. They are doing GREAT! I have taken them in the mud, sand, climbing hills, LOTS of gravel and cliche roads(oilfield), crossed rivers and obviously pavement. I would say about half on pavement and half offroad. They do really good in the mud, I have been in some nasty mud and never felt like I was gonna get stuck. They grab suprisingly well climbing hills but slip a bit and throw a lot of rocks on gravel. I drive on oilfield roads almost everyday from 10-45 mph, and I have just a few small chips. Front left tire has quite a few more than others because i threw my rear driveshaft and had to climb a hill in 1 wheel drive(happened twice), but it got me out. IMO they do the worst in sand, but not horrible. They seem to push sand instead of driving on top of it, and steering is sketchy. On the road they hum a bit but not too bad(my exhaust is louder than the tires in town and on highway. Never drove in the ice or snow, so cant help you there(80 and sunny today here). Maybe i will if it snows this year. I would definately buy these tires again. Now they just need to make em in 33's.
spikestrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2011, 10:33 PM   #84
2005jgclimited
2005 WK 

know its a old thread but just thought that someone might read and find useful i have the Wrangler Authority's on my 05 Grand Cherokee 5.7 and have around 15,000 miles on them and still have over half the tread left. Cant do a lot of off roading where i live with them but most of the time that these tires have seen dirt is when i go camping and have put them through some spots that friends full size bronco couldn't get out, had to pull him out a few times. No problems or complaints with the tires and you cant beat the price.
2005jgclimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2011, 09:19 AM   #85
ChargerX3
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Update:
Tires are doing great and have little wear. Ive been daily driving them and taking them on trails. Great tire.

Unread 06-17-2011, 01:15 PM   #86
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I sent Wal-mart an email the other day asking if they would produce this tire in a 255/85/16 or a 285/75/16. But I don't expect that to happen. It would be nice though. I would consider this tire in either of those sizes.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 10:04 PM   #87
Kermit97
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Stopped in at Wally World today to take a look at these tires, theyre BEEFY (especially in the AT market. Not a Swamper, but cmon.) I had General Grabber AT2 on my TJ, looking at these for my XJ. The tread depth is very deep, especially for an AT tire, and also the sidewall bite lugs actually have considerable mass. I am very particular about what goes on my Jeep, even more-so my girlfriends ZJ, as I want to keep her safe.

Shes been running these 8 year old Dunlop at's, dry rotted and gross. Doing a 1.5" BB on hers, and a 3"-4" on my XJ with these tires. The both of us. They are really worth a stop in to walmart to really take a look at them. In store price is $130. Set of four, mounted, is $560. with Road Hazard its $640. (according to the tag, for a 31x10.50)

Also, The tire is almost a true to size tire. Measures 30.5x10.87x15. Mine will be on 15x7's and so i hear, theyre gonna actually be a little taller than fatter, so hopefully I'll yield a true 31 here.
Kermit97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2011, 07:39 AM   #88
PeteYJTJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I just got these yesterday - 31 x 10.5 x 15 Authority. I paid $158 each, balancing was only $5 per tire, and tire disposal was only $1.50 each. That's pretty cheap, as I shopped around.

I think it's a nice aggressive looking tire, has good lugs and siping on all lugs, so it should be good in the wet. My TJ does mostly highway, as it's my 'road jeep'. They have a little bit of a hum on the highway, and it sounds good.

I have a 1.75" BB sitting at home that I'll get put it at some point. Just haven't had time. Should go nicely with the tires.

Just my $0.02
Pete
img00513-20110626-1134.jpg   img00514-20110626-1134.jpg  
Laredo, 104K, sunroof, 4.0, selectrac, 3" IRO +10mm, adj trac bar, 265-75-16s Goodyear = DD & Expedition Jeep.
PeteYJTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2011, 06:31 PM   #89
ChargerX3
1998 XJ Cherokee 

First time ive seen them with whitewalls. Didnt notice them. Look good.
Unread 07-22-2011, 05:57 PM   #90
jj88jeep
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Just got my set today, lift kit not installed yet, so no miles. I took the rims in and they installed them with no problems. I asked and they said I would have no issues about bringing the Jeep in and having the tire balanced and rotated, good to hear! Only was in there for a half hour. They look sharp, can't wait to see how they perform!!!

jj88jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.