Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Goodyear Wrangler Authority A/T Tires

209K views 270 replies 100 participants last post by  BlueCJ6 
#1 ·
WalMart has this new Goodyear tire. It's the most aggressive looking A/T tire I've ever seen. Don't know all the particulars yet as all the signage and prices weren't yet displayed on the racks. Only one 15" size, 31x10.5x15. Lots of 16"and 17" sizes in "C" and "E" load ratings. The tire has good spacing between the lugs, almost on par w/ an MT. Big side lugs as well. Don't know anything about mileage expectancy. Pretty sure it's a WMart only tire. Go check it out. Sorry no pics

#178 ·
ive had a set of these on my rubicon for 3 1/2 years, probably at least 40,000 miles on them. excellent in rain, excellent in snow, and still have at least another year left on them. after about 15 different mud and all terrain tires on my jeeps- these have been the best by a long shot. i used to put on a set of tires a year. for the price, these have been the best deal and lasted the longest.

#179 ·
dirtrulz said:
I have had mine for over 10,000 miles now and have had no problems. There is less than 1/32 tire wear, I have another new set in the garage because the price was too good. The wear is waaaaaaaay better than the bfg KM2's that we had previously and I didnt have to get them siped like the bfg's for the winter. They are still ballanced and show no bad wear. The winter grip is very good and the rain grip is also very good.

Honestly for their listed price of 191 I probably would not have bought them, would have went with duratracs instead, but for the quoted price of 119 each I couldnt pass it up. If you can get a good price there is nothing wrong with these tires. The fact they are a walmart exclusive has nothing to do with anything.

It is funny that pretty much everyone that has actually purchased them are happy, the ones thumbing their noses at them dont own them, guess they just need to make themselves feel superior for buying more expensive tires. If you dont own them there is no need to post your opinions of them.
I agree. I've been very pleased w/ what these tires can handle and what I paid for them. If you don't have them on your rig and you give an opinion on them it's like someone w/o kids telling a parent how to raise them.

#180 ·
GrizzlyRod said:
Best thing is to keep up on the rotate and balance. I do mine about 3500 to 4000 but if I go play on the trails I go in after I clean the mud off and have them rebalance them.
Hey that's a good idea, having them rotated after a good muddin trip.

#183 ·
spdcat01TJ said:
You think so? Have you ever bought tires at WalMart? It takes them about 3 to 4 hours to mount a set of tires. They won't mount these on my son's XJ because "they aren't the original size on the door post". What vehicle come stock with 31 x 10.50 15's?? You have to take the wheels off and bring them the wheels to get them mounted.
I have bought several sets of tires at Wally World. Everytime it gets to be more hassle. Luckily I live about 100 yards from Wal Mart, and I can just leave the vehicle there and walk home.
Liability laws say the only tire size they can install is whatever on the door sticker. You can't blame them, blame the idiot that had them put 31's on his Cherokee, wrecked it and sued the shop that installed them bc they weren't the correct size. I bought a set of the cheap 235-75-15 GY's and the only way they would install them was off the TJ.

#184 ·
terpsmandan said:
Liability laws say the only tire size they can install is whatever on the door sticker. You can't blame them, blame the idiot that had them put 31's on his Cherokee, wrecked it and sued the shop that installed them bc they weren't the correct size. I bought a set of the cheap 235-75-15 GY's and the only way they would install them was off the TJ.
Yea and what sucked when I bought mine is I couldn't get the road hazard warranty because they didn't mount them to a vehicle :thumbdown:

#185 ·
Anyone have more then 25k on these yet?
Especially on a heavier vehicle like a WJ

Seriously considering the 6 ply version on my dakota

#186 ·
The trick to getting Chinamart to mount your tires is to take the wheels off your Jeep, and carry the wheels into the store yourself. If they don't have to physically remove the wheels from the vehicle, they can/will mount any tire/wheel combo.

#188 ·
They mounted 275/75-17 on my liberty no questions asked. Took them under an hour, as good as any tire shop n town. Not all walmarts are the same, like any business, there are good and bad ones. Why cant anybody get that whether these tires are good or not really have nothing to do with walmart, lets pretend that they are sold through discount tire adn see where the discussion goes

#190 ·
esad_b said:
Just picked up a set of these in 31x10.5x15. What tire pressure do you guys run in these on a TJ?

I have them down to 30, and I notice the far should 'lugs?' on the tire dont make pavement contact as I can tell from the dirt of the road not touching them.

Guess I'd want the entire tire to make contact?
I run them at 30 psi I also noticed the outside ¼-½" of the lug doesn't touch. I've ran mine like that for 4k miles now with no problems.
I also tried airing down and was in the low 20's before the outsides touched, (i didn't drive it like that just been down the driveway doing the chalk test) so I aired them back up to 30 and it rides great

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

#191 ·
I guess its easy to hate Wal mart. But if I go early during the week, say 8 or 9 I get in and out pretty quick. Later in the day and it's pretty slow.

I do travel occasionally and I like the nationwide tire coverage.

#192 ·
castorriver said:
I guess its easy to hate Wal mart. But if I go early during the week, say 8 or 9 I get in and out pretty quick. Later in the day and it's pretty slow.

I do travel occasionally and I like the nationwide tire coverage.
I do the same thing, but go to any other tire or service center and your service will not be completed much if any quicker

#193 ·
wwch99tj said:
I run them at 30 psi I also noticed the outside ¼-½" of the lug doesn't touch. I've ran mine like that for 4k miles now with no problems.
I also tried airing down and was in the low 20's before the outsides touched, (i didn't drive it like that just been down the driveway doing the chalk test) so I aired them back up to 30 and it rides great

It's weird it doesn't make full contact you'd think it should.. Jeeps getting an alignment as we speak, guess the front end was quite off from what the mechanic is saying their working on the rear now.

Running them in the low 20s I wouldn't do for street use I'll see how it is after this alignment maybe air them down to 28/29 as when they get warm they will go to 30/31 anyways

#194 ·
esad_b said:
It's weird it doesn't make full contact you'd think it should.. Jeeps getting an alignment as we speak, guess the front end was quite off from what the mechanic is saying their working on the rear now.

Running them in the low 20s I wouldn't do for street use I'll see how it is after this alignment maybe air them down to 28/29 as when they get warm they will go to 30/31 anyways
Agreed you would think it should, but mine don't and my alignment is right on

#195 ·
Well my front end was quite off, by a full degree it was nearly doubled from what the within specs were supposed to be.

The rear I guess is not adjustable on these, however there is a slight deviation in the rear they showed me on the numbers but its very minimal they said it could be that something is bent. Center bolt or something else.

They told me its not worth to try and track this down as this would cost $$$.

I will take a pic of the actual summary sheet they gave me and you guys tell me.

Here is a picture of the values.

#196 ·
Helluva DEAL!

So, after reading this whole thread and having had these tires before a couple years ago on a Dodge Ram 2500 4x4...thought I would tell you my tale...

On the HEAVY truck these tires sucked...and were down right dangerous. I had them removed after about 3 weeks...That seems to be the consistent online reputation for these tires...

HOWEVER...after reading about everyone that has these on their Jeeps, it seems they are pretty happy with them. Lighter vehicle, makes these tires perform like they should...heavier vehicle, you couldn't give them to me.

I bought these today from a local Wal-Mart that had them on sale/clearance for $105.00 each!! Except they didn't have any in stock. :(

I had to go to another store, buy them at the $200 each price, haul them over to the first Wal-Mart, refund them, and re buy them at the $105.00 price. I bought 5! Then took them to my buddy at his auto shop and had them install them so they know what they are doing! :2thumbsup:

Handle GREAT on the Jeep so far today...Look Great! Nice stiff ride, just like I like prefer it! Need to find some mud now!!:D

#199 ·
Both C and E load range (6 and 10 ply) tires were chipping and shredding when installed on 3/4 and full ton trucks... especially high torque diesels

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.