Goodyear Wrangler Authority A/T Tires - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Goodyear Wrangler Authority A/T Tires

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRoad Race Motorsports Stage 2 Power Pack

Unread 10-30-2009, 11:12 PM   #31
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrabbitt View Post
pretty weak compared to?

Its a 2 ply sidewall, same as alot of other AT type tires. Of course, how thick the plies are is the issue.

Now, is the "pretty weak" your own personal experience, or observation, or what you read on the internet.
did you read my previous post or did you just read 2 words then reply?

The sidewall just felt very weak to me. Weaker than other A/t tires i have messed with...including my own and the duratracs sidewalls are already pretty flexy.

So yes, I am speaking out of experience and not the internet.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2009, 06:30 AM   #32
madrabbitt

dont be an ***.

"i messed with it at walmart" isnt exactly a scientific observation.

And since you've been doing nothing but pushing the duratracs, i wanted to know if you had any real world experience with the authority other then feeling them up in the store.

I dont know how well you can gauge sidewall strength by comparing unmounted, uninflated sidewalls by touch. You may be able to feel the difference in thickness if its obvious, but not strength.

Next time i'm in walmart, i'll see if I can tell if theres any obvious thickness or lack of thickness compared to the long trails that i'm currently running, as I know how much abuse i've thrown at those sidewalls over the last 40k miles.

Its far from scientific, but its a start.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2009, 09:36 AM   #33
Kingpin
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBar View Post
I just added these. Great price for an aggresive hybrid. I will try and give feedback on how they perform.

[IMG][/IMG]
I bought a set of the Wrangler Authoritys (31 X 10.5 X 15) at Wal-Mart for my '04 TJ as well. Looked like a good tire at a good price. Went to get them installed and they didn't fit! The rear tires were rubbing on a bracket which was welded to the frame. Tech reccomended 30 X 9s, which I can't find in the Authority size.
My question, has anyone else had this problem? I wanted to go for the max size for a stock Wrangler and the 31 X 10.5s seemed the way to go.
Thanks.
Kingpin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2009, 10:57 AM   #34
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrabbitt View Post
dont be an ***.

"i messed with it at walmart" isnt exactly a scientific observation.

And since you've been doing nothing but pushing the duratracs, i wanted to know if you had any real world experience with the authority other then feeling them up in the store.

I dont know how well you can gauge sidewall strength by comparing unmounted, uninflated sidewalls by touch. You may be able to feel the difference in thickness if its obvious, but not strength.

Next time i'm in walmart, i'll see if I can tell if theres any obvious thickness or lack of thickness compared to the long trails that i'm currently running, as I know how much abuse i've thrown at those sidewalls over the last 40k miles.

Its far from scientific, but its a start.
Sorry if i sounded like one. Didn't mean to.

They just feel like a realllllly cheap walmart tire. And i am pushing the duratracs so hard because they are a better tire. Goodyear doesnt even have these tires listed on their site so what does that tell you? It probably is made somewhere else and goodyear was paid to put their name on it. It just felt like a really flexy GS/A like tire to me. Although the tread does look pretty bad ***...i still wouldnt pay 130 bucks for them considering i got my duras for the same price. But dont let my opinion on these turn you away. For all i know they could be the next silent armor or something
If you want them, that is all that matters. I was just stating my opinion after messing with them for a bit.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach

Last edited by 2006_Sport; 10-31-2009 at 11:10 AM..
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2009, 05:35 AM   #35
madrabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006sport View Post
Sorry if i sounded like one. Didn't mean to.

They just feel like a realllllly cheap walmart tire. And i am pushing the duratracs so hard because they are a better tire. Goodyear doesnt even have these tires listed on their site so what does that tell you? It probably is made somewhere else and goodyear was paid to put their name on it. It just felt like a really flexy GS/A like tire to me. Although the tread does look pretty bad ***...i still wouldnt pay 130 bucks for them considering i got my duras for the same price. But dont let my opinion on these turn you away. For all i know they could be the next silent armor or something
If you want them, that is all that matters. I was just stating my opinion after messing with them for a bit.
None of the other brands list their private labels on their sites either.
Good example is the Liberator, which is now labeled as a Uniroyal. That tire has always had a good reputation here on JF, and I ran them 3 times, before i started using the long trails.

I didnt actually touch the tire when I saw it, because i wasnt shopping for tires at the time. I will actually poke it and see if I cant compare it to some of the other tires that they have in stock next time i'm there.

Right now, the tire thats most likely going to be my purchase is a Sam's private label called the armortrac, also by goodyear. Tread isnt nearly as aggressive as the authority or duratrac, but deeper then the bridgestone and bfg's in the same price range.

Although, sams has a $70 rebate on the BFG's, so that may sway me a bit, although the tires are going on my corporate credit, so I might ignore the price a bit.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
Unread 11-03-2009, 04:43 AM   #36
Voyame
2007 JK Wrangler 

I was looking at these tires also. Happened to throw a ruler on them and it appears they are all a size (height) under what they are labeled. Wondering if anyone else has found a size issue with them.
Voyame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2009, 09:10 PM   #37
madrabbitt

Thats pretty much the same with all the tires walmart sells under private label. They're still within the range of sizes that they can claim for each size.

I got a chance to feel them and compare them to other tires on the same line. Sidewall felt about the same thickness as two other quasi-at tires that i'm looking at (Dualer AT non revo, and long trail at) Also, on the "Push down and look at deflection" squish test, they seemed to be stiff, but not overly stiff.

Tread depth was more then I originally thought on first glance... originally i had thought they were closer to 15/32nds, but on closer look, its deeper then that.

I'm actually going to go with the authorities on one of the fleet trucks, but sticking with a new set of Long Trail AT's on mine.

Unread 11-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #38
JBar
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpin View Post
I bought a set of the Wrangler Authoritys (31 X 10.5 X 15) at Wal-Mart for my '04 TJ as well. Looked like a good tire at a good price. Went to get them installed and they didn't fit! The rear tires were rubbing on a bracket which was welded to the frame. Tech reccomended 30 X 9s, which I can't find in the Authority size.
My question, has anyone else had this problem? I wanted to go for the max size for a stock Wrangler and the 31 X 10.5s seemed the way to go.
Thanks.
Kingpin.......I didn't have any tire rub what-so-ever. I didn't have to put any washers in the steering stops either.

I'm coming up on 3K miles. I am admittedly a novice Jeep owner, my Jeep is mostly a DD with some weekend trail riding, little or no rocks (Florida is a sandbar after all) and have little to compare these too. When I do reach 3K miles on my Authorities, I will measure and give some indication of the wear, etc. So far they have been a good tire. In heavy Florida rain, they pump water extremely well with no hydroplaning. These tires meet and exceed my current needs but they obviously aren't for everyone.

Happy Veterans Day to my fellow Vets.

JBar
JBar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2009, 05:57 PM   #39
Jeepr_dan
1999 TJ Wrangler 

any more updates?
Jeepr_dan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2009, 09:08 PM   #40
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

I was going to go with them until I saw the Duratracs , bought one of the Authoritys from Walmart in a 265-75-16 and then also a 265-75-16 Duratrac took them both home and looked both over good.

Returned the Authority and bought a set of Duratracs for the same money, something about the Authoritys just felt cheaper to me. And thats from someone who spent about 12 years of my life in the tire business.

They look to be an OK tire and to those that bought them I am sure they will do a good job for you. But they were not for me
tommudd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2009, 09:16 PM   #41
madrabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
I was going to go with them until I saw the Duratracs , bought one of the Authoritys from Walmart in a 265-75-16 and then also a 265-75-16 Duratrac took them both home and looked both over good.
Thats actually a pretty good idea, glad you thought of it.

The fact that you have experience in the industry helps even more.

Also, my buisness manager ended up getting a set of 5 for the chevy colorado, so we're going to see how they work. So far, shes put about 500 miles on them, and her only two comments are, they're louder then the previous tires (a set of HT's) and she hasnt gotten stuck in her driveway yet... which was a weekly occurance with the previous tires.

Unread 11-23-2009, 09:40 PM   #42
SnowYJ
1988 MJ Comanche 

just went up to the snow with my new authorityy. they did great and shed the snow well. i had no problem with traction in the deep stuff or the ice and hard. I also got to try them in some clay while i was there. did really well and gripped nice. overall these are a great tire for the money
SnowYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2009, 11:11 AM   #43
DanZ51
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I just bought my Rubi a set of 265/75x16 Authoritys. Since the communist state of Vermont does not have a Super Walmarts around. I picked them up when I went over to Rochester NH (visiting releatives). I had been waiting for over an hour to get them put on when these ***-Clowns said they couldn't install them because it wasn't a stock size.

The ditz behind the counter poured over a manual (she didn't know a Liberty from a Rubicon ) had to call a "manager" who said he couldn't because of "liability". I told him it would have been nice to know a fricken hour ago instead making me wait.

I went with the "C" load rating, which I hope I don't regret. I was just so tired of the MTR rock hard side wall and ride. The do ride MUCH better than the E rated MTR's. (I run alot of dirt roads with the accompaning potholes.) Now to test them in the MUD & SNOW
DanZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2009, 08:17 PM   #44
YakYak

The "C" load rating is perfect on a lightweight vehicle like a wrangler. I think you will be pleased.
YakYak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2010, 08:25 AM   #45
Djmack

2nd day of having these tires. I get called out to pull my friends f350 from the mud. And did it successfully
Djmack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.