goodyear silentarmors A+ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > goodyear silentarmors A+

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREERough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 05-04-2007, 08:49 PM   #1
goldrush
do it on a dogsled

2004 LJ Wrangler 

goodyear silentarmors A+

installed new sneakers on the Unlimited, goodyear silentarmors, already have about 1000 miles on them, love these tires, quiet, like superglue on wet and dry roads, better milege than my old mt's about 2mpg good off road haven't abused them but on gravel,rock and mild mud excellent so far, bottom line no complaints yet,,,,,,BFG a/t and Revo's, watch out new kid on the block, IMHO so far!

front.jpg   real-close.jpg   lf.jpg   rear.jpg   side.jpg  

#200 v.2 black jeep club
goldrush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2007, 09:22 PM   #2
rljsrubicon
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Nice tires

What size did you go with? Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldrush
installed new sneakers on the Unlimited, goodyear silentarmors, already have about 1000 miles on them, love these tires, quiet, like superglue on wet and dry roads, better milege than my old mt's about 2mpg good off road haven't abused them but on gravel,rock and mild mud excellent so far, bottom line no complaints yet,,,,,,BFG a/t and Revo's, watch out new kid on the block, IMHO so far!
rljsrubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2007, 10:49 PM   #3
goldrush
do it on a dogsled

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I got the 33x 12.5x 15, I had a hard time deciding what tires to go with, looked at bfg's, cepek fcII, got a good price $150 mounted and balanced, again so far happy with choice.
#200 v.2 black jeep club
Unread 05-06-2007, 08:49 PM   #4
bairy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just got mine mounted up too. Same size. 600 mile highway trip and they are awesome!
bairy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2007, 10:02 PM   #5
goldrush
do it on a dogsled

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairy
I just got mine mounted up too. Same size. 600 mile highway trip and they are awesome!
Did you notice a change in gas milage? some say it gets worse, but mine went up by 2mpg, but I had MT on before. I hope to really test them off road this week or next weekend.
#200 v.2 black jeep club
Unread 05-07-2007, 09:38 PM   #6
bairy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Did you notice a change in gas milage? some say it gets worse, but mine went up by 2mpg, but I had MT on before. I hope to really test them off road this week or next weekend.
I think the mileage was about the same. The wife and I did all the math with the tire size difference and odometer compensation, and we were getting 18 on the highway through PA mountains. (4.0 and 3.73) It was a trade off with OD on and off. No passing power in the high gear, but floor it, wait for the downshift and stay on the gas in the next lower gear and I was just fine.

Here is my ......ride.

Unread 05-13-2007, 06:20 PM   #7
goldrush
do it on a dogsled

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Tested them on the trail and in mud today, had no problem on any trail today, water up to the hubs, up to floors for a short distance, no problems,,,,, sand went well,,,,, suprised in the mud, this was good ole New England swamp mud. Again pulled through better than expected, not as good as the MT's, cloged up but with high rpm's self cleaned well,,did spin but continued to bite, mud was about 1" below hubs, on the NH granite, tires stuck well pulled me over a couple of slight ledges. We did two differnt trails and each time no complaints.

So, IMHO these tires continue to do well for an A/T
#200 v.2 black jeep club
Unread 05-13-2007, 07:57 PM   #8
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

That is very interesting. The tread looks rather like a Goodyear tire I once had on my Cherokee. The Silent Armor should be excellent on road and ice with that tread and all those sipes. It should also be good on many off-road surfaces (aside from mud).

It's tread looks to me like it will clog very easy in sticky mud-clay. I think the BFG AT would be better in mud than the Silent Armor cause the BFG AT tread looks more open, espeically on the outer edges of outer lugs.

However, I haven't ever tried a Silent Armor. Please let me know how they do in sticky mud-clay. I wouldn't compare their mud performance to an MT, but I'd be curious to know how they compare to an AT like the BFG AT.

I'm looking forward to hearing more after you've tried them in mud some more, especially sticky clay type mud, if you have that. I read where you said you spun them clean. At what speed? I've spun non aggressive tires (Cooper AT) in clay cleanish before, but I had to spin 'em up to 20 mph to do it, which is NOT ideal. My BFG ATs would spin clean at about 10 mph. My Cooper ST self clean with no spin needed, but of course their street and mpg aren't quite as good as the BFG AT or the Silent Armor, though my ST are better onroad than MTs.

I can easily see that a Silent Armor should be excellent on-road. Probably even better than a BFG AT, which is pretty darn good on-road. But I can help thinking a BFG AT would be a little better in mud due to more open tread, especially outer lugs on outer edges. Same with Cepek FC-2.

Which MT did you have before?

Last edited by CB3; 01-26-2008 at 05:02 PM..
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2007, 10:59 PM   #9
goldrush
do it on a dogsled

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I had the Dunlop radial MT, I like them alot and drove them cross country from NH to So Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Utah, including Moab, we Four wheeled every where we went and the MT's performed well, Then they got choppy and I couldn't balance them. The Jeep is my wife's daily drive, so we decided to get an A/T tire, I did so much research and talking to people I had it down to the BFG, Cepek, and the silent armor. Well the GY dealer made me a great deal although I was leaning toward the Cepek's, but went with the GY. I keep an open mind and if these tires don't perform well I'll scream and yell and bad mouth them, but right now they are doing great. We are planning another Xcountry trip, this time Nev/Ariz, Utah New Mex,Etc. I have to clarify what I ment about them cleaning in the mud, was when they spun they threw the mud out, not ground speed. It seem as if the two open spaces right and left of middle helps them clean, where the BFG's are lug to lug. Next week I'm going out with someone that has BFG A/T's so it will be interesting to see difference. I'll keep you informed. I would like to see how they are in a place we went to in the Bryce Canyon area in Utah,,,, that was the stickyest muck I've ever see, I had to use a jack hammer to pry the dried muck out of the MT's and underbody
#200 v.2 black jeep club
Unread 06-26-2007, 10:43 AM   #10
bairy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well, here is my review...

I was running 33 x 12.5 x 15 Silent Armors on 10" wide wheel. Aired down to 15 lbs.

I was the only person in a group of 13 with AT's. Everybody else was running a MT tire. Most people also were locked front/rear or both. I am running open front and the stock limited slip rear. EVERYBODY was expecting me to get stuck in the mud on a large uphill climb where others had to be pulled out. I went right though it with no problems. In the rocks, the tires really bit right into them. I was beating the sidewalls pretty bad and don't have any damage at all. Again, on a large rock climb, my rig went right up flawlessly. Lastly, a small climb with a double bump up, lots of MT tire rigs were digging and sliding on the rocks. The silent Armors really gripped right into the loose dug up dirt and gripped very well on the rocks with nearly no tire slipping. Every single person in the group was awestruck of how well the tires did. They clean themselves very well in the mud, and had tons of grip on rocks.

On street, they might as well be standard equipment on a Cadillac. Super quiet, and smooth. I feel they are just about as good in the rain as on dry pavement.

Overall, I would say, they are not a mud bogging tire, and not a rock climbing tire. They fit in very well in both, and if you do most of your driving on the street, they will be a dream. All the haters who were laughing at my tires and doubting, have completely changed their minds, and raised their eyebrows in surprise of how well the tires did.

Of course this is becasue I am just an awesome driver.
Unread 06-26-2007, 03:11 PM   #11
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Good to hear these tires are doing well as I just ordered a set for my wife's WJ. 225/75R16s to replace BFG ATs. Loved the BFGs but figured I would try something new. Got 52k out of the BFGs and still have enough tread for maybe another 5k but she was in an accident Sat and one of the tires was shredded so had to replace all of them. If the Goodyears are at least as good as the BFGs were I will be very pleased.
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2007, 11:38 AM   #12
ftdranger
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I put these on the wife's 2000 yota about a year ago, excellent all around tire,wear good.
Unread 06-27-2007, 07:26 PM   #13
CoolHunting
2001 WJ 

I have driven about 1200 miles on a new set of GY SA's and really like them. As far as an All Terrain, I believe they could be the best all around tire available. The more I drive'em the more I like'em (a mark of a good tire).

'01 WJ Laredo - 4.7L, QD, UC, GY Wrangler SA 245/65/17 tires, MX6 shocks, Stillen rotors (F/R) and MM pads, Addco F/R Sway Bars

Last edited by CoolHunting; 06-27-2007 at 09:20 PM..
CoolHunting is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2007, 08:24 PM   #14
goldrush
do it on a dogsled

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairy
Well, here is my review...

I was running 33 x 12.5 x 15 Silent Armors on 10" wide wheel. Aired down to 15 lbs.

I was the only person in a group of 13 with AT's. Everybody else was running a MT tire. Most people also were locked front/rear or both. I am running open front and the stock limited slip rear. EVERYBODY was expecting me to get stuck in the mud on a large uphill climb where others had to be pulled out. I went right though it with no problems. In the rocks, the tires really bit right into them. I was beating the sidewalls pretty bad and don't have any damage at all. Again, on a large rock climb, my rig went right up flawlessly. Lastly, a small climb with a double bump up, lots of MT tire rigs were digging and sliding on the rocks. The silent Armors really gripped right into the loose dug up dirt and gripped very well on the rocks with nearly no tire slipping. Every single person in the group was awestruck of how well the tires did. They clean themselves very well in the mud, and had tons of grip on rocks.

On street, they might as well be standard equipment on a Cadillac. Super quiet, and smooth. I feel they are just about as good in the rain as on dry pavement.

Overall, I would say, they are not a mud bogging tire, and not a rock climbing tire. They fit in very well in both, and if you do most of your driving on the street, they will be a dream. All the haters who were laughing at my tires and doubting, have completely changed their minds, and raised their eyebrows in surprise of how well the tires did.

Of course this is becasue I am just an awesome driver.
this could have been an update of my trip last weekend, the key was how amazed everyone was, that I was with, they were all saying "but they don't look aggresive" my reply was I don't care if they are pink with blue dots,,,, they jaut work!!
#200 v.2 black jeep club
Unread 01-23-2008, 12:28 PM   #15
RedRenegade93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I know I'm digging up an old thread here, but just had to say great reviews guys. Thanks for sharing those. I was leaning to the 31x10.5 Silent Armors and now I've definitely made my mind up. Was expecting to hear good on-road reviews but the off-road performance was a nice surprise. Can't wait to get these on in the spring!

And goldrush, that's exactly what I was thinking too. They might not look the coolest or have the most aggressive tread, but how they work is the main thing.
RedRenegade93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.