Goodyear MTR W/Kevlar or MTZ: Which is quieter? Lasts longer? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Goodyear MTR W/Kevlar or MTZ: Which is quieter? Lasts longer?

Introducing MONSTALINER UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 09-23-2009, 04:55 PM   #1
WMWHV
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Goodyear MTR W/Kevlar or MTZ: Which is quieter? Lasts longer?

I am choosing my next tires and have come down to the Mickey Thompson MTZ or the Goodyear MTR with Kevlar. I have compared them on a number of parameters, but there is one I cannot get any data on (and no, this is not the sole basis on which I will base my decision) and that is which is quieter on the highway? Anybody know? I am going with a 33X12.5X15. Also would appreciate any thoughts on tire life on these tires.

WMWHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 10:46 PM   #2
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have logged alot of miles on MTZ tires, I have ran them fr years in different sizes. They are quiet IMO when talking m/t. They have sipes that help in wear, Wet weather and noise. Have done good for me. With the mt/r with Kevlar on the market now, I dont know what will replace my MTZ's when they are dead. But i can say the MTZ wears like iron and I'm at 45% at 25k. Wheeled in some harsh stuff as well and they walked away fine. Good luck
Unread 09-23-2009, 10:49 PM   #3
mudking_ky87
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i have mtz's that are like new (33x12.50) they are quiet IMO
97' TJ Sport 2.5" - 3" suspension Rancho? lift, 3" BL, Smittybuilt SRC Rear bumper, KC lighing, Tube front bumper and side steps, warn x8000i winch, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZ, magnaflow exhaust, gibson Hi flow cat. more to come in the future!
mudking_ky87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 01:53 AM   #4
+Crusader+

The new MTR's are, well NEw, too new to speak about expected longevity. Although early reports are that they wear great with a few thousand on them. I would say pick the one that you fancy, because at this point you can't really go wrong with either one.
Unread 05-29-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
quiksilverj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

my mtz's went in about 15,000 maybe just bad luck
quiksilverj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
Butch05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Mileage and Noise

I have a set of 5 Baja MTZ's (33x12.50 R17) on my 05 Wrangler. I put them on at 11,500 miles and currently have 80,500 miles on the Jeep. Yes the speedo was re-calibrated immediately following the installation. I rotate them, all 5, every oil change. I still have about 40% of the tread left on them. I keep them inflated to 28 psi. That is 69K miles, most of which is highway. We go off-road 2-3 times a year.

The MTZ's are a mud tire, but not as aggressive as some. It is quieter than most. The noise they do make is more noticeable with the hard-top on. With the soft-top, there is enough wind noise, you don't notice them at all.

Spending the money on a full size spare, and rotating it in with the other 4 is worth it IMO. You'll get 20% MORE mileage out of the set of tires. The guys at Cabot Tire & Off Road can't believe I still have the same set.

I want a new set of tires only because I'm tired of looking at these. I have had no problems out of them yet.

Hope this is helpful.
Wayne
Butch05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
taphorn
2006 LJ Wrangler 

any more reviews on noise level?
taphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 05:23 PM   #8
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well i went with the Kevlars this time around. The MTZ's are louder than the Kevlars but only when they are almost warn. My tire depth calculation was way off when i was at 25k, I ended up getting 46k out of them and still had a decent amount left for spares. They were around 55% maybe 60%.
But they did very well all the times i ran them. Ill most likely run them again someday or on another jeep. Compared to other m/t tires they were not loud at all IMO for what they were.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.