Goodyear MTR w/Kevlar or BFG KM2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Goodyear MTR w/Kevlar or BFG KM2

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

View Poll Results: Which tire?
Goodyear MT/R 75 52.45%
BF Goodrich KM2 68 47.55%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 07-16-2009, 03:10 PM   #1
2000jeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Goodyear MTR w/Kevlar or BFG KM2

Okay i dont know how to creat a poll if i am even allowed so we will do this the poormans way!

Which do you prefer GY MTR's or BFG KM2!

State reasoning please.

MODS if you can please turn this into a poll.

2000jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2009, 03:18 PM   #2
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Too soon to know anything about the GY Kevlar, but just looking at it and applying 30 years of experience, I'd say they missed the mark on the tread pattern. It's almost as if it should be directional, yet the assymetrical nature of the tread means you can't install them as directionals. I think in mud and on heavily rainy roads (Oregon stuff...) they won't perform well. Also, generally road cornering puts more wear on the outsides, so you'd want the part of an asymetric tread with more rubber (thicker blocks) to the outside. Yet they recommend the thick tread section be to the inside. Which of course brings us back to a huge part of the tread that would shed water on one side and trap water on the other.
BUT - time will tell. I have nothing other than opinion. I sure wouldn't want to be the test mule.
(and so far all the 'tests' I've seen read like blatant advertisements, so I won't place too much trust in any of them.)

Meanwhile the KM2 has gotten high marks, seems to be a great tire.
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
03rubiconMG
2003 TJ Wrangler 

KM2s are awesome osmosiz on here runs them and they are awesome on the trail, good on the roads too.

i dont know much about the good year kevlars but what the previous poster said makes a lot of sense and i agree

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3374/...376a0a33_o.jpg
03rubiconMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2009, 03:27 PM   #4
XtremeJeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFlame View Post
Too soon to know anything about the GY Kevlar, but just looking at it and applying 30 years of experience, I'd say they missed the mark on the tread pattern.
I love the KM2's I have...

1988 XJ | 6'' on 33x12.5's | Locked and Loaded |

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbert350
you have to stop thinking of miles per gallon its fun per gallon....and in my jeep my fpg is too much to count
XtremeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2009, 06:51 PM   #5
2000jeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

wow i thought there would be a better turn out then this even in the poll. dead heat
Unread 07-17-2009, 10:28 PM   #6
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I voted for the new MT/Rs. The KM2 when i was going to buy a set and went to look at them, Was a big disappointment. In the pics i have seen they looked good. But there has been a couple posts on here about the wear of them, One guy took a pic with a coin reference after 6k, I have more tread on my MTZs with 26k. So that to me is a downfall as i want good lugs that grip. I might change my mind down the road on the KM2's if they do put good numbers out, But I'm still gonna go with a set of the new mt/rs.

On the wet weather cornering, I see where you are coming from on that, But if its riding on the outside of the one tire, Its gonna be on the inside of the other putting down enough traction for control. They went meant for race cars and if its raining and in a TJ, You should drive more Conservative anyways. But very good post, I see your points and are valid and something I'm gonna look into as the tire gets older.
Unread 07-18-2009, 12:51 AM   #7
Jeep Head
2003 TJ Wrangler 

One plus about the GY kevlars is that they are extremely light. I was in a shop last week and picked up one of the 42 inchers and it weighed next to nothing. No steel in these tires makes them significantly lighter. I have a set of retired 35 MTR's and I'd swear the new kevlar 42's were lighter.
Jeep Head is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2009, 01:14 AM   #8
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFlame View Post
Too soon to know anything about the GY Kevlar, but just looking at it and applying 30 years of experience, I'd say they missed the mark on the tread pattern. It's almost as if it should be directional, yet the assymetrical nature of the tread means you can't install them as directionals. I think in mud and on heavily rainy roads (Oregon stuff...) they won't perform well. Also, generally road cornering puts more wear on the outsides, so you'd want the part of an asymetric tread with more rubber (thicker blocks) to the outside. Yet they recommend the thick tread section be to the inside. Which of course brings us back to a huge part of the tread that would shed water on one side and trap water on the other.
BUT - time will tell. I have nothing other than opinion. I sure wouldn't want to be the test mule.
(and so far all the 'tests' I've seen read like blatant advertisements, so I won't place too much trust in any of them.)

Meanwhile the KM2 has gotten high marks, seems to be a great tire.
Good points to make. Very informed.

I come from experience with the GY Wrangler A/T (rated for snow too) Silent Armors. All I can say is that the Kevlar technology is awesome! I've run over screws as thick as my pinky finger and they've stopped at the Kevlar and actually bent. Airing down is extra safe feeling because the Kevlar wraps down the sidewall 3/4's of the way.

As for the tread pattern of the Duratracs (that is what you're asking about, right?), the previous poster makes lots of sense, but I think I'd still be inclined to go with the Duratracs simply due to my experience with the Kevlar Silent Armors.

I've owned MT's before (BFG's) and they slipped and slid everywhere on wet pavement. I'd love them on all the time for wheeling, but that can't be so. But the Silent Armors are even aggressive enough to handle A LOT of stuff that you'd never think an AT could on the trails (I amaze people all the time). Just air down to 10-12 psi.

Choose what you will, but my vote goes to the Goodyears. Pricey? Yes. Durable as hell? Yes. Worth the money? IMHO, yes.

Last edited by VanBCguy; 07-19-2009 at 11:30 PM..
VanBCguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2009, 04:15 AM   #9
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Depends on the application, terrain, & size desired.
For me right now, the winner is the MTR/K ---- it does everything for me better than any tire I've ever had.
If I lived elsewhere, it might be a different answer.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2009, 06:18 AM   #10
Pillswoj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I voted BFG, Goodyear still has not figured out that some people prefer a skinnier 33 and no where in there line up can you find a 33x10.5x15.
Unread 07-18-2009, 06:30 AM   #11
2000jeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I was originally going to go with GY duratracks ut they dont offer them in a 35 1250 15 tire plus at the time my heep was a dd. So now that it is a weekend warrior heep i am looking at these 2 tires but just cant decide. i am sure heep will see more drive time when snow starts flying again so i do want something that has resonably good snow traction along with mud and rocks.
Unread 07-18-2009, 02:32 PM   #12
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillswoj View Post
I voted BFG, Goodyear still has not figured out that some people prefer a skinnier 33 and no where in there line up can you find a 33x10.5x15.
That is annoying...

A Duratrak in that size could very well be the perfect DD/Wheeler tire for the overlander.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2009, 04:52 PM   #13
2000jeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
That is annoying...

A Duratrak in that size could very well be the perfect DD/Wheeler tire for the overlander.
biggest they had for me was 33x1250x15. i was just going to suck it up and get those because the heep was a DD but since i scored a new used DD that is way much more friendly on gas i decided to go with what i want and be happy. Now the problem is i looked at the Cooper Discovery STT and they look like a really nice tire plus they are a American owned company big plus for me there. I am just really freakin confused!!!
Unread 07-18-2009, 11:19 PM   #14
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000jeeper View Post
biggest they had for me was 33x1250x15. i was just going to suck it up and get those because the heep was a DD but since i scored a new used DD that is way much more friendly on gas i decided to go with what i want and be happy. Now the problem is i looked at the Cooper Discovery STT and they look like a really nice tire plus they are a American owned company big plus for me there. I am just really freakin confused!!!

If thats the case and you wont DD as much, Get a set of 33-13.50-15 LTBs. They are great off-road and decent for a swamper on. They are cheaper and 100x more grip off-road. Interco is made in America as well. If you want maximum traction, Go with something like this as you have a back up car now. Good luck
Unread 07-19-2009, 01:40 AM   #15
2000jeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ View Post
If thats the case and you wont DD as much, Get a set of 33-13.50-15 LTBs. They are great off-road and decent for a swamper on. They are cheaper and 100x more grip off-road. Interco is made in America as well. If you want maximum traction, Go with something like this as you have a back up car now. Good luck
GOD to add another tire to my confusion. I will just stick with the 3 that i am considering. Goodyear MT/R Kevlar, BFG KM2, And now the Cooper Discoverer STT.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.