Goodyear MTR with Kevlar in Moab - Review - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Goodyear MTR with Kevlar in Moab - Review

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-13-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
TravisDTD
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Goodyear MTR with Kevlar in Moab - Review

We spent a few days out in Moab last week for the 2009 Easter Jeep Safari. This year we sported a set of 5 new Goodyear MTR with Kevlar (37x12.50R17). We are happy to say they took every beating we could throw at them and practically begged us for more. The highway drive from Phoenix to Moab and back was super quiet given we were riding on MT's. I don't know of a quieter MT on the market right now. On day one, Tuesday, we took our MTR's up Poison Spider Mesa. (Fantastic Trail BTW) We could hardly get them to chirp on the slick rock. On the few sandy sections the tires pulled hard and on the boulder sections they flexed, grabbed and held strong. Wednesday we were out in Area BFE running Green Day. (A little tight for the 4dr JK but worth the Austin power maneuvering) Gravel, steep climes tight corners and some nice boulder sections through the trees were again, no match for the new MTR's. On our last day we drove Kane Creek Canyon. With over 50 river crossings we paddled through a fair amount of Mud, water, sand and gravel. While the center section did cake a little the wider tread blocks designed for the mud pulled strong and cleaned out quickly. Big thumbs up from us on these. Goodyear has done very well in the design of this new MTR.

Pictures for show.

Last edited by TravisDTD; 04-13-2009 at 05:25 PM..
TravisDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
Lemmiwinks
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone in the northeast runing these tires in the deep mud? Reviews?
Lemmiwinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 03:46 AM   #3
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

I'll look for deep mud this weekend.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
Lemmiwinks
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
I'll look for deep mud this weekend.
Did you find any?
Lemmiwinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 12:57 PM   #5
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmiwinks View Post
Did you find any?
nothing more than 6" deep ---- sticky clay.
...which is fun. The clay turns into bricks in the big voids and goes flinging into the air. And it would've stopped my old AT's and left me spinning my tires.
But not a challenge for these tires.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Unread 07-13-2009, 01:14 PM   #6
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45º 36.663' W 123º 20.935', Oregon
It's a shame they don't offer them in a 33x10.5 scale.
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2009, 07:16 AM   #7
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandTJ View Post
There are people screaming all over the world for this tire in a 255/85-16 and 255/80-17.
Or at least the Duratrac...

Unread 07-14-2009, 09:59 PM   #8
randy8

OK will we have a few guys in our group running this tire, ... they suck in real mud, a few guys where looking to pass them off for some real mud tires or even the old mtrs. they just don't clean vary good. if it's a dd and you don't go throw swaps or mud then they might do some good as a long lasting mt tire. but tires are the only thing that puts the power to the ground. so they are #1 thing off road!

my $0.02

and sorry if the spelling and grammar sucks. deal with it! because i do.
randy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2009, 03:59 AM   #9
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

The only cleaning problem that I've had is the AT strip; the mud lugs have always come out spotless. Even the sticky mud with leaves in it...

Unread 03-14-2011, 07:04 PM   #10
0okamiDigital
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
This is as close as you can get to it:
metric: 285/75 R16
standard: 33x11.22 R16

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....KOWL&tab=Sizes

Im actually ordering these in the next week.
EDIT: >_< ah $%^*& zombie thread. Sorry.
Unread 03-15-2011, 06:17 AM   #11
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Nice review. Good to know that even the guys from Discount Tire, who could probably used any tires they wanted, still pick the GY. And you guys are lucky out there that you have mostly slickrock. Out here on the East coast, our rocks are sharp and rough and the edges of the lugs get pretty torn up.

Quote:
I've NEVER been in a situation where I said 'damn I wish my tires were 2 inches narrower'. The bigger then contact patch, the better. Unless you are a rally car in the snow. I've been in over a foot of snow and the MT/R's still pulled right through it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy8 View Post
OK will we have a few guys in our group running this tire, ... they suck in real mud, a few guys where looking to pass them off for some real mud tires or even the old mtrs. they just don't clean vary good. if it's a dd and you don't go throw swaps or mud then they might do some good as a long lasting mt tire. but tires are the only thing that puts the power to the ground. so they are #1 thing off road!

my $0.02

and sorry if the spelling and grammar sucks. deal with it! because i do.
If all you're doing is mud, get swampers.
Unread 03-15-2011, 08:16 AM   #12
TravisDTD
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0okamiDigital View Post
This is as close as you can get to it:
metric: 285/75 R16
standard: 33x11.22 R16

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Wrangler+MT% 2FR+with+Kevlar&sidewall=Outlined%20White%20Letter s%20(Out%20Only)&partnum=875QR6WMTRKOWL&tab=Sizes

Im actually ordering these in the next week.
EDIT: >_< ah $%^*& zombie thread. Sorry.
Let us know if we can help you with a set. We give jeep Forum members $50.00 off their total instantly when they purchase 5 tires for their Jeep. (Mail order only)

My Build: Bigger and Bolder LJ
TravisDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #13
jksahara07
1995 ZJ 

hi nice pics and nice review !

i am looking to buy a set of 5 pretty soon, are they are to balance ?

thanks .
jksahara07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.