Goodyear MT/R w kevlar - Page 88 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Goodyear MT/R w kevlar

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #1306
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Falkens? On a TJ? Did I miss something?

'99 TJ Sport | Rampage Frameless | 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR/K's | Poweraid TBS | Flowmaster 40 series | Herculined | 15% tint | LED interior lighting | AtoZ front/rear bumper | AtoZ tube rocker guards | Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993BT | Kicker 6.5's in soundbar | Alpine Type-R 4x6's in dash.
vanillathrilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #1307
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillathrilla View Post
falkens? On a tj? Did i miss something?
lol
Unread 03-30-2014, 08:15 PM   #1308
catmechanic
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I know this is an older thread, but still applicable...

Anyone experiencing out of round on new MTR-K's? I just mounted 5 new 35-12.5-17's on my Walker Evans wheels. After having a horrible time balancing them at the normal place I had them road force balanced and 3 of the 5 got kicked back for being out of round. With the rear on Jack stands and idling in gear there is approx 3/8" - 1/2" of vertical movement at the tread.

If you try hard enough you could balance a square tire, but it'll still ride like crap. Am I the only one experiencing this with the MTR-K?
catmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2014, 09:03 PM   #1309
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I had the same issue with 35-12.50-15's. Take them back for 5 round ones or if you bought online, Email and call goodyear. They will send you around to many shops until they replace them, But they will.
They are still under factory replacement until 17/32's of the new 19/32 IIRC, Either way, You have 2/32's until you own eggs. It happens, Just keep on them until you have a new, Round set of kevlars. Good luck
Unread 03-31-2014, 01:59 PM   #1310
CJ7nvrstk
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmechanic View Post

Anyone experiencing out of round on new MTR-K's? I just mounted 5 new 35-12.5-17's on my Walker Evans wheels. After having a horrible time balancing them at the normal place I had them road force balanced and 3 of the 5 got kicked back for being out of round. With the rear on Jack stands and idling in gear there is approx 3/8" - 1/2" of vertical movement at the tread.

If you try hard enough you could balance a square tire, but it'll still ride like crap. Am I the only one experiencing this with the MTR-K?
Have heard many with that problem. Affected several different sizes as well. Just like KM2s have a rep of running short, these have a rep of being difficult/unable to balance.
Unread 03-31-2014, 02:05 PM   #1311
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmechanic View Post

They had real trouble with this a few years ago, but lately haven't heard many complaints. Wonder if those tires have been sitting in a warehouse for awhile. Personally have run 3 sets (33x12.5x15, 35x12.5x15 and 35x12.5x17) and never had a problem, although they were definitely not the easiest to balance. If I let any idiot try to balance them who knows what the results would have been, but if done the right way by someone who knows what they are doing we got them there.
Unread 03-31-2014, 07:57 PM   #1312
catmechanic
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I was starting to doubt myself. I tried Equal (horrible), then a static balance (better), then road forced (better still, but not right) by the guy the Hunter rep suggested. I was finally able to swap 37's with a JK (since my TJ has 5x5 pattern) and it was as smooth as glass.

Hoping they don't give me a bunch of crap since it's been 33 days (out of the 30 day window) and I bought them online and mounted them myself. Guess I'll find out Wednesday morning at the Corporate store appointment.
Unread 04-02-2014, 10:29 AM   #1313
catmechanic
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Went to the Goodyear corporate store this morning. They pulled the beadlock card and tried to show me the .020 runout at the inner lip of my Walker Evans wheels and explain that was causing the 3/8" - 1/2" vertical movement at the tread, but after a bit of discussion they've agreed to replace all 5 at no cost, which IMO they should.

New ones should be here Friday.
Unread 04-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #1314
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmechanic
Went to the Goodyear corporate store this morning. They pulled the beadlock card and tried to show me the .020 runout at the inner lip of my Walker Evans wheels and explain that was causing the 3/8" - 1/2" vertical movement at the tread, but after a bit of discussion they've agreed to replace all 5 at no cost, which IMO they should. New ones should be here Friday.
When I originally had mine put on a couple years ago there was a very noticeable side to side wobble on a couple if the tires. The tech at Discount Tire brought me out and showed me the wobble while they spun them on the machine. They told me they would replace the tires but it could take a month or two to get new ones. I asked if I could test them them and they were and still are smooth at 75 mph.

I just don't think your going to find an oversized tire that doesn't have a noticeable amount of runout, the question is is it enough to cause an issue.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #1315
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I had a similar set up, Fake locks, They tried to pull the BS card for the ring. I told them do you want me to bring you mentally challenged tire tards a set of oem wheels to try to balance ****? When I started calling them out on a **** product they knew about, I got free replacements too.
Good tires, Company ran by a bunch of ****ing idiots who have no clue what they are dealing with is the only down side.
Unread 04-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #1316
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
When I originally had mine put on a couple years ago there was a very noticeable side to side wobble on a couple if the tires. The tech at Discount Tire brought me out and showed me the wobble while they spun them on the machine. They told me they would replace the tires but it could take a month or two to get new ones. I asked if I could test them them and they were and still are smooth at 75 mph.

I just don't think your going to find an oversized tire that doesn't have a noticeable amount of runout, the question is is it enough to cause an issue.
yep
Unread 04-02-2014, 10:45 AM   #1317
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post

Goodyear is the only company off hand I can think of with new **** tires. Nitto, M/T, Maxxis, Toyo etc all run true and balance perfect. Hell, My BFG krawlers that had rounded lugs and chunks missing balanced better each time than my kevlars ever did.
Unread 04-02-2014, 10:54 AM   #1318
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

So, I'm about a week from ordering a set of these. Is the consensus that the 35" x R15s are still running egg (or worse, pear) shaped?
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 11:09 AM   #1319
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler905 View Post
So, I'm about a week from ordering a set of these. Is the consensus that the 35" x R15s are still running egg (or worse, pear) shaped?

The bandwagon will say they are fine, Even when they are riding on un balanceable tires because they are kevlars. I wasted time with them and was happy for what they were, But there is better out there.
With that said, Buy at your own risk and hope you get round ones and if not be ready to deal with goodyear and all their excuses and they have a truck load of them! Plus if you do get crap ones, You might be stuck with them until a backorder is filled if they are still pulling that ****.
Off road they get the job done, On road people justify their **** ride and purchase and I was one of them, Until I got rid of them and back to round tires.
Unread 04-02-2014, 11:21 AM   #1320
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ View Post

The bandwagon will say they are fine, Even when they are riding on un balanceable tires because they are kevlars. I wasted time with them and was happy for what they were, But there is better out there.
With that said, Buy at your own risk and hope you get round ones and if not be ready to deal with goodyear and all their excuses and they have a truck load of them! Plus if you do get crap ones, You might be stuck with them until a backorder is filled if they are still pulling that ****.
Off road they get the job done, On road people justify their **** ride and purchase and I was one of them, Until I got rid of them and back to round tires.
The hatred is strong with this one
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.