Goodyear MT/R w kevlar - Page 74 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Goodyear MT/R w kevlar

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 09-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #1096
jeepinmichguy_
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillathrilla View Post
Personally, I disagree. I found them cheaper online too but all of the shops around here charged twice as much for mounting/balancing if you bring your own tires in versus ordering through them. I paid $1050 for (4) 33x12.50x15's with lifetime rotation and re-balance. It was worth it.
Never pay what a tire shop is asking. I got FIVE MT/R Kevlars M/B through a local Discount Tire for $925 twice. After I got them for that the first time, the second time I went in to purchase the same tires I took my receipt and the honored the same price. Once on my old blue TJ and then on the wifes yellow one. I am not saying you will get them as cheap as I did but definantly way less than what you paid. You get price quoted from a few shops and have them beat each others price until you find who will go the lowest. Mine was between the locel 4WP, Discount Tire , and the Good Year store.

Quote:
PS. If you want to black the letters out, get the Kiwi leather dye at the grocery store in BLACK.
Kiwi leather dye doesn't work. It puts a coating on the tires that can be rubbed off easily, the die doesn't actually soak in the white lettering. I tried it (that same brand) with my old 33's.

New MT/R's

Dyed.

After dye residue was coming off I scrubbed the tires clean. It would not set in the white lettering, only created a black film over top that covered the white lettering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #1097
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
Never pay what a tire shop is asking. I got FIVE MT/R Kevlars M/B through a local Discount Tire for $925 twice. After I got them for that the first time, the second time I went in to purchase the same tires I took my receipt and the honored the same price. Once on my old blue TJ and then on the wifes yellow one. I am not saying you will get them as cheap as I did but definantly way less than what you paid. You get price quoted from a few shops and have them beat each others price until you find who will go the lowest. Mine was between the locel 4WP, Discount Tire , and the Good Year store.
What's that, like 160 a tire? You can't even get thin sidewall Duratracs for that.

I've also been watching for the past year the prices for these tires slowly going up. They are in high demand and goodyear can't keep up. Simple economics states as quantity demanded increases price increases. I was lucky I even got mine within a week.

I find this to be a pointless thing to bicker about anyway.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2011, 04:15 PM   #1098
squirrelbomb
2005 TJ Wrangler 

These will be my next tires!!!
squirrelbomb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2011, 04:28 PM   #1099
jeepinmichguy_
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
What's that, like 160 a tire? You can't even get thin sidewall Duratracs for that.
It was $170 a tire then $75 for M/B I believe. I told you how to get them lower.

Quote:
I've also been watching for the past year the prices for these tires slowly going up.
They were retailing for over $200 a piece when I got them for that price. I know they are about the same now as they were, I just found them for $212 at the first place I looked online.

Quote:
They are in high demand and goodyear can't keep up. Simple economics states as quantity demanded increases price increases.
I know they are on backorder, but it doesn't mean you can't get them for cheaper. If you are willing to wait for some to come off of backorder then you could get places to price match each other. NEVER BUY TIRES AT RETAIL COST, simple as that. You can always get them way cheaper. If you want to continue spending more for four tires than I do for five of the same tire don't take my advice.

Quote:
I was lucky I even got mine within a week.
I am never in a hurry, I get rid of tires before they are worn out and recoupe some money on the old set.

Quote:
I find this to be a pointless thing to bicker about anyway.
I just said that that was to much for the tires and told you what I paid.

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Unread 09-09-2011, 04:33 PM   #1100
ROLLTIDEtj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

An increase in demand does not equal an increase in price. When demand increases and supply remains the same, price increases. Go back to economics 101.

The kiwi brand leather dye does not work BUT the fiebings brand that you can purchase off amazon IS a permanent solution.

The buying offline vs from a store debate all comes down to price per tire, shipping cost, and the price of mounting and balancing.
2004 Rubicon - 4.0 - 5 speed manual - Rough Country 4" Stage II lift, RC front adjustable track bar, 2.2 shocks, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear MTR with Kevlar on Crager soft 8's, 4 Hella Black Magics, Edge Trail Jammer with Intake, JL TR 2-ways in the pods, Kenwood Excelon deck in the dash, Rough Country Stinger & Winch Plate, Trail Gear rear bumper w/ tire carrier, HiLift, Rock Krawler X Factor Plus Steering
ROLLTIDEtj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2011, 08:34 PM   #1101
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

For the people saying the Kiwi dye doesn't work... it worked great for me when I did it like 5 months ago, and they still look great. Not sure why it's not working for others, but I keep my tires pretty clean most of the time and the letters are still black. I wouldn't suggest it if it didn't work based on my own experience.

I don't think I got ripped off. I'm not saying I got an unbelievable deal by any means, but $1050 for (4) 33x12.50x15 MTR/K's with lifetime rotation and re-balance makes me happy. They're incredible tires, and I supported a local shop and stimulated my local economy instead of some web based business in another state far away that doesn't care about my community.

PLUS... there's a microbrewery on the bottom level of the shop.
'99 TJ Sport | Rampage Frameless | 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR/K's | Poweraid TBS | Flowmaster 40 series | Herculined | 15% tint | LED interior lighting | AtoZ front/rear bumper | AtoZ tube rocker guards | Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993BT | Kicker 6.5's in soundbar | Alpine Type-R 4x6's in dash.
vanillathrilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2011, 08:57 PM   #1102
1badxj
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The big brown truck just delivered mine today.........getting them mounted tomorrow!!! Pics to follow.

As for price, I paid $1001 for four from 4WP, and thats with their "no questions asked warranty", which I believe is the best in the industry!!!!!! Who else offers complete, lifetime free replacement up to 50% tread life, only then pro-rated after that??? Could have gone cheaper from a couple local stations and online retailers. But, with the rate at which I tear tires up, it all pays for itself and then some after that 1st replacement!!!!!

Had a set of old BFG KM1's I got from them for the old XJ, and for nearly 6yrs, I never payed for a single tire (other than the new tire's warranty and m/b/tax). Think I replaced them all least twice in that time frame, always damaged/cut a tire well b4 they wore out.
New Toy: 2005 Rubihara #111 of 1000
Wife's: 2005 Liberty CRD
2.5"lift, Rock Lizard rock rails, Front True Trac, Rear Powertrax N0-Slip locker, & 31" Duratracs on 15x7 rock crawler rims
Tow Rig: 2003 Silver Reg. Cab Dodge 2500 2wd
5.9 Cummins (lots of mods) dyno proven 550+rwhp
1badxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2011, 09:22 PM   #1103
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillathrilla

Personally, I disagree. I found them cheaper online too but all of the shops around here charged twice as much for mounting/balancing if you bring your own tires in versus ordering through them. I paid $1050 for (4) 33x12.50x15's with lifetime rotation and re-balance. It was worth it.

Have you actually put the tires to work yet? If so, I'm sure you're grinning ear to ear.
I'm going to try and get out this weekend, but I need to fix my steering stops so I don't tear the new tires up. One of the bolt heads sheared off and rubbing on the control arms will eat the shoulder lugs like they did the old tires.

Can't wait to see how they flex on the rocks!

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2011, 05:39 PM   #1104
jeepinmichguy_
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
For the people saying the Kiwi dye doesn't work... it worked great for me when I did it like 5 months ago, and they still look great. Not sure why it's not working for others, but I keep my tires pretty clean most of the time and the letters are still black. I wouldn't suggest it if it didn't work based on my own experience.
The only way I can see you not having issues with it coming off is if your Wrangler is a street queen and your tires are never rubbing the sidewalls offroad. I have tried it as well and it does not dye the tires, it puts a film over top of the white lettering. See post 1096.

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 09-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #1105
LivEviL
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just got 5 , 35x12.50r17 and four of them needed between 4-8.5 oz and one needs 19 oz to balance. I am trying to deal with Treadepot.com on getting a replacement for the bad tire. Another one of the tire had a two inch cut in it when I received it . They replaced it. I am hoping these work out because I have blown out 3 tires sidewalls this year at Windrock.
2006 LJ Rubicon 6-speed manual; Warn Rok Krawler Front and Rear Bumper; WARN 8000m winch; OME Long Travel Nitro Shocks; OME 933 Front Coils; OME 949 Rear Coils, Rokmen engine, tranny, gas tank skid; Metal Cloak front and rear fenders; Rokmen upper and lower control arms; Kilby steering box skid; Currie steering; Currie Anti-Rock; Trail Ready HD 17" Beadlocks; Goodyear MTR 35x12.50R17; Rock Hard Sports cage and rocker slider; Corbeau XRS seats; RCV Performance front axle; ARB 35 spline rear locker; ARB CKMTA dual compressor; GM LQ9 6.0l
LivEviL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2011, 08:42 PM   #1106
1badxj
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Just got mine mounted!!! Took 4, 5.25, 5.75, and 7oz respectively.........not too bad. 1st impession is very positive!!! Will have pics in the morning.
New Toy: 2005 Rubihara #111 of 1000
Wife's: 2005 Liberty CRD
2.5"lift, Rock Lizard rock rails, Front True Trac, Rear Powertrax N0-Slip locker, & 31" Duratracs on 15x7 rock crawler rims
Tow Rig: 2003 Silver Reg. Cab Dodge 2500 2wd
5.9 Cummins (lots of mods) dyno proven 550+rwhp
1badxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2011, 08:44 AM   #1107
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
The only way I can see you not having issues with it coming off is if your Wrangler is a street queen and your tires are never rubbing the sidewalls offroad. I have tried it as well and it does not dye the tires, it puts a film over top of the white lettering. See post 1096.
It's my daily driver, but the Jeep goes trail riding generally once a week or at least once every few weeks. The trails I'm generally on don't really have anything to rash up the sidewalls though.

As for the thin layer, yes, I saw that post.. but again, my experience seems to differ from yours and apparently everyone else. I actually use Bleche White and a tire brush to get my tires clean when I do take the time to clean it and that didn't take the black off of the letters. They're starting to fade, but they're still black. I guess I win.
'99 TJ Sport | Rampage Frameless | 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR/K's | Poweraid TBS | Flowmaster 40 series | Herculined | 15% tint | LED interior lighting | AtoZ front/rear bumper | AtoZ tube rocker guards | Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993BT | Kicker 6.5's in soundbar | Alpine Type-R 4x6's in dash.
vanillathrilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2011, 08:46 AM   #1108
jeepinmichguy_
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It's my daily driver, but the Jeep goes trail riding generally once a week or at least once every few weeks. The trails I'm generally on don't really have anything to rash up the sidewalls though.

As for the thin layer, yes, I saw that post.. but again, my experience seems to differ from yours and apparently everyone else. I actually use Bleche White and a tire brush to get my tires clean when I do take the time to clean it and that didn't take the black off of the letters. They're starting to fade, but they're still black. I guess I win.
How can you wheel and not scrape the side of your tire on stuff.... I simply have a hard time believing that something I tried myself that DID NOT WORK worked perfectly fine for you. I would love to meet these other people that have done it recently with Kiwi dye and it actually dyed their tires white lettering black and see it in person. You can tell me it worked for you all you want but until it is actually right there in front of me I'll call BS.

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 09-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #1109
jeeptrash
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thinking of picking up a set of these before the snow flies this winter. Anyone running 35's got a approx. measurement mounted? My 33" coopers stt's im running now measure out pretty small... Trying to get an idea of how much larger the 35's will actually be mounted.
Unread 09-11-2011, 05:20 PM   #1110
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I run 35-12.50-15's on 8" wheels. Just took a fresh measurement and they are 34.4" with 26psi and around 14k.

Kiwi has been tried by many and has been shown to not work unless as mentioned a street jeep. If it is working for you, You are a needle in a hay stack and all who failed try to stop other jeepers from wasting their time and money. But to each their own.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.