Goodyear MT/R w kevlar - Page 71 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Goodyear MT/R w kevlar

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 08-21-2011, 08:43 PM   #1051
eturci000

how do these tires work in the snow??

eturci000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2011, 10:45 PM   #1052
sabzz
1998 ZJ 

How do these handle in mud and sand? Thats what I mostly wheel on besides the occasional trip to KS Rocks or Tuttle Creek.
Unread 08-22-2011, 10:26 AM   #1053
PDoyle
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eturci000 View Post
how do these tires work in the snow??
Is this your first Jeep? TJ's are not really that good in snow anyway. Don't care what rubber is on there. It is the short wheel base problem, but yes they are " good" in snow.
Unread 08-22-2011, 11:09 AM   #1054
eturci000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDoyle

Is this your first Jeep? TJ's are not really that good in snow anyway. Don't care what rubber is on there. It is the short wheel base problem, but yes they are " good" in snow.
Yes this is my first jeep and my first set of tires I'm buying. Gotcha I did not know that. But I still love my wrangler!
Unread 08-22-2011, 11:18 AM   #1055
eturci000

My wrangler hasn't really had any trouble in the snow.
Unread 08-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #1056
PDoyle
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ok. Just wanted to ask that first. If you drove a ft wheel drive car first, and now have a Jeep you would think snow was your friend.
The bigger the tire the tougher it is to stop.... and go.
I like the tires and better yet the way the snow flies up the side of the Jeep with 33's. But going 55 mph in a couple inches is out of the question. IMO.
Unread 08-22-2011, 05:35 PM   #1057
JeepZJlover
2002 TJ Wrangler 

For the guy pickin on the wrangler in my opinion my Wrangler did much better in the snow then my Cherokee and I miss my TJ greatly but the XJ has duratracs this year so well see...
1993 Cherokee 4dr SE green, 4.0, Auto, HP30, 8.25, 3" lift 31" Goodyear Duratracs, Custom made front recovery bumper, Kenwood radio, 12" alpine type e subwoofer,alpine amplifier, Smittybilt xrc8 winch, tuff stuff portable winch receiver custom modified. 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0, 5 speed, Dana 30 front, Dana 44 trac loc rear, Stock
JeepZJlover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2011, 08:02 PM   #1058
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have two TJ's a XJ and ZJ. The only difference in snow travel is that i can let the *** hang out on the XJ and ZJ more around corners. The TJ will cut the tightest dough nuts of any vehicle on the road, More so locked.

I run 35" tires and when its bad i use it as a DD. I drive 100+ mile round trip and i have no problems going 55mph or 65mph in light snow or a whiteout. It comes down to set up and control of your jeep. If your geared correctly stopping and starting isn't a problem either.

It really comes down to driver comfort in elements. If you go into it weary your going to have pucker factors. The best thing to do with a new jeep or new tires on your jeep is when the snow first starts to fly go to a empty parking lot and throw it around so you know how to control it if you do loose control. To each his own, Good luck
Unread 08-24-2011, 06:29 PM   #1059
TJftw
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My one mtr/k had a thin patch and goodyear replaced it the same day for free! Awesome!
Black Jeep Society Member #398

*Jeep Wave*
TJftw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2011, 04:10 PM   #1060
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabzz View Post
How do these handle in mud and sand? Thats what I mostly wheel on besides the occasional trip to KS Rocks or Tuttle Creek.
i love the way they handle in the mud
Unread 08-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #1061
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Psh, that's not mud.. That's a runny little brown puddle

Mind have done well in every condition I could put them through, but I will be the first to admit that I've gotten sideways twice in wet conditions. Maybe I was going too fast to be turning at that angle, but I wasn't driving like a race car driver by any means. I was going at or below the 35mph speed limit (which, yes, I know the speed limit should be utilized based on conditions of the road)

Talking about a pucker factor though. Scary when you're going through an intersection making a left turn and all of the sudden you're sideways. Luckily I've always managed to react well
'99 TJ Sport | Rampage Frameless | 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR/K's | Poweraid TBS | Flowmaster 40 series | Herculined | 15% tint | LED interior lighting | AtoZ front/rear bumper | AtoZ tube rocker guards | Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993BT | Kicker 6.5's in soundbar | Alpine Type-R 4x6's in dash.
vanillathrilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2011, 06:56 PM   #1062
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillathrilla View Post
Psh, that's not mud.. That's a runny little brown puddle
it is in Colorado
Unread 08-31-2011, 04:00 AM   #1063
tank12983
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ View Post
The best thing to do with a new jeep or new tires on your jeep is when the snow first starts to fly go to a empty parking lot and throw it around so you know how to control it if you do loose control. To each his own, Good luck
I really agree with you there. I love playing in a snow covered empty parking lot (4WD doughnuts ). It really does show you how your rig will react and you learn how to control it.
Unread 08-31-2011, 04:06 AM   #1064
tank12983
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ View Post
The best thing to do with a new jeep or new tires on your jeep is when the snow first starts to fly go to a empty parking lot and throw it around so you know how to control it if you do loose control. To each his own, Good luck
I really agree with you there. I love playing in a snow covered empty parking lot (4WD doughnuts ). It really does show you how your rig will react and you learn how to control it.
Unread 08-31-2011, 01:05 PM   #1065
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillathrilla View Post
Talking about a pucker factor though. Scary when you're going through an intersection making a left turn and all of the sudden you're sideways. Luckily I've always managed to react well
Sounds like an average day driving my mustang lol. Having a high HP RWD car was an easy way to learn how to handle a vehicle with little traction. Now every time it snows around here, I'm drifting everywhere. Loved it when we had the blizzard two years ago because the streets were completely empty and covered with a few inches of packed snow. Made for some great sliding action. The 32's, 4.56 gears and rear locker helped a LOT.

Oh, and the MT/R's are great in sand. Even when pulling out stuck SUV's, they would dig in and trudge forward. Super soft sand too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.