Goodyear MT/R w kevlar - Page 65 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Goodyear MT/R w kevlar

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 01-27-2011, 09:38 PM   #961
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

^ Weight difference?

hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2011, 08:53 AM   #962
Grt_Ape
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I thought that too.

According to the specs I linked to...the 285 is 64 lbs per tire; the 305 is 63 lbs per tire. Not much of a difference.

I'm coming to the conclusion that it's a personal preference thing. If you have the extra ~1/2" of space on the inside, and can get away from Johnny Law bugging you about an additional ~1/2" on the outside, the 305 is closer to a more traditional 33x12.5.

Of course....then we get back to the ole' skinny vs wide debate.

In the end, I'm going to call around and see what the availability is. If one is more common than the other, I may go that route just to have a better chance of a quick replacement if needed.

2006 LJ Rubicon
Grt_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2011, 10:32 AM   #963
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grt_Ape View Post
In the end, I'm going to call around and see what the availability is. If one is more common than the other, I may go that route just to have a better chance of a quick replacement if needed.
That makes complete sense. Either way, I doubt 20mm will make or break the tire.

I might be curious if the tread pattern is the same. Often times tire companies optimize lug size or depth for particular sizes of tires. I know the lugs on a 35" MTR are different dimensions than on a 33" MTR. It stands to reason that the overall size is different, but it's hard to predict which have which size of lugs.
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2011, 10:49 AM   #964
slafferty
2000 TJ Wrangler 

did the prices go up on the mt-r's? All the magazines are listin 35's for $230
'00 TJ, 4.0, nv3550 spd, E-lockers Front and Rear, 4.88 gears. Homebuilt Bumpers/ tube doors.. Homebuilt Long Arm in the making... 35 inch MT-R's ordered[QUOTE=RUBtjICON;9622056]If you arent scratching it, you arent trying hard enough :tea:[/QUOTE]

[U][I][B]MY BUILD THREAD[/B][/I][/U]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/slaffertys-2000-tj-build-1121555/index2.html"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][SIZE="4"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/slaffertys-2000-tj-build-1121555/index2.html[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL]
slafferty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2011, 12:10 PM   #965
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

$187 each on treadepot.com, $201 on Tire Rack. Both have very limited quantities though.

Tire prices in magazines are always inflated as hell. And usually sites like 4wd.com and Quadratec sell tires for wayy more than tire places do.

As for weights of the tires, I believe my 35's with 15x8" aluminum MT classic locks weighed about 86 lbs. Crazy thing is my worn out 32's on steel Cragars weighed 74 lbs, so only 12 lbs extra to go up 3" in tire.
Unread 01-31-2011, 09:07 PM   #966
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just hit 10k mile mark in full with my Kevlars. I say "full" as it took them a few times to get it right with a solid set. Ill get some pics up in the next few days, They actually haven't wore much at all. Ive had to do some traveling lately and with all the snow and crap i felt more comfortable driving it.

Around 6 off road trips and countless fence checks and farm use. Some light snow wheeling, And a sweet up to 15" storm/blizzard on its way to add to the three we just got.
I have been using it as a DD in bad weather and have yet to lock it in on the highway or for lack of traction and i run a Detroit. Its almost unbelievable how good they do unless you run them, But not all rigs are the same and opinions vary. I cant say they are the best tire ever made, But its a top 5 IMO.
Just wanted to up date my experiences with them and how they have performed along with tread wear. Ill get some pic's and a tread depth in the next couple days
Unread 02-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #967
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, I'd say these wear very well on the street for all the highway miles I have on mine. Mine have had the front edges rounded off almost every lug from only two trips in the rocks, but that still doesn't stop them from gripping and climbing.
Unread 02-01-2011, 02:19 PM   #968
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

These tires are wearing great. Ive driven them all over the place.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #969
JcArnold
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I just blew out one of my 35" MTR's on friday due to a manufacturing defect and in the 1/4 mile it took me to get off the highway it totally ate up the tread. Word to the wise..check you seems inside and out, mine blew a 3" hole at the inside seem.

37x12.50x17 Goodyear Wrangler MTRs
Pro-Comp 7031 17x9
Rock Krawler 5.5" X-Factor
Fox Racing Shocks
Synergy Front Cage Kit
Synergy Axle Tubes/C gussets
4.88 gears frt/rr
Replacement frt/rr driveshafts
Poison Spyder rockers
And a bunch of other little stuffs
JcArnold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #970
02RedWS6TA
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone on their second winter with a set of these?

Or for those who are driving them in the snow can you post up how many miles you have on them? I'd like to hear how they do on snow/ice with some wear on them. The KM2's that came on my Jeep aren't even safe they're so bad in the snow/ice and I need something else soon. I'm running Duratracs on my other Jeep and love them in the snow but no 35's .
02RedWS6TA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2011, 06:11 PM   #971
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcArnold View Post
I just blew out one of my 35" MTR's on friday due to a manufacturing defect and in the 1/4 mile it took me to get off the highway it totally ate up the tread. Word to the wise..check you seems inside and out, mine blew a 3" hole at the inside seem.

How old are your Kevlars? dcorn and i both had blem tires that was sidewall related and in the same spot on the side lug. The pics of them are a few pages back. But if you still have the trashed tire and a receipt for the replacement, Send it back to Goodyear. You will have to pay to ship it to them, But IIRC they will reimburse you for that if it is a defect.
Unread 02-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #972
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ View Post
How old are your Kevlars? dcorn and i both had blem tires that was sidewall related and in the same spot on the side lug. The pics of them are a few pages back. But if you still have the trashed tire and a receipt for the replacement, Send it back to Goodyear. You will have to pay to ship it to them, But IIRC they will reimburse you for that if it is a defect.
Yup, Tire Rack paid for the shipping to send it back to them, then reimbursed me for the original price and shipping for the tire. Thank God my friend saw the blemish because I was taking a 6 hr road trip to the Outer Banks the next morning. And thankfully I had a spare at the time.
Unread 02-02-2011, 04:24 PM   #973
JcArnold
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I got them back in November, I was able to get it warrantied today which wasn't a big deal. I took it to an authorized Goodyear dealer and they replaced it for free. They also checked out the rest of my tires for defects as well and cleared them.

37x12.50x17 Goodyear Wrangler MTRs
Pro-Comp 7031 17x9
Rock Krawler 5.5" X-Factor
Fox Racing Shocks
Synergy Front Cage Kit
Synergy Axle Tubes/C gussets
4.88 gears frt/rr
Replacement frt/rr driveshafts
Poison Spyder rockers
And a bunch of other little stuffs
JcArnold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #974
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just tried to order 37x12.50x17 backorderd and will not **** till march 13th.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2011, 10:14 PM   #975
slafferty
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i ordered my 35's in december was told they would be here at the end of jan... still no tires
'00 TJ, 4.0, nv3550 spd, E-lockers Front and Rear, 4.88 gears. Homebuilt Bumpers/ tube doors.. Homebuilt Long Arm in the making... 35 inch MT-R's ordered[QUOTE=RUBtjICON;9622056]If you arent scratching it, you arent trying hard enough :tea:[/QUOTE]

[U][I][B]MY BUILD THREAD[/B][/I][/U]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/slaffertys-2000-tj-build-1121555/index2.html"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][SIZE="4"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/slaffertys-2000-tj-build-1121555/index2.html[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL]
slafferty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.