Goodyear MT/R w kevlar - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Goodyear MT/R w kevlar

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 04-02-2009, 08:24 PM   #76
Rubicon_TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
Tried them on some muddy clay hilly mess splooge and tall wet grass last night.
All smiles. Big chucks of Earth heaving in dynamic rooster-tail ballistic arches heavenbound as I casually point-n-shot myself all over the place and listened to Skynyrd.
Not tractor tires but they're the best tire I've ever used that doesn't rattle my fillings loose on the highway.
That's good to hear - definitely smile-inducing, since I just bought a set that I can't wait to try out in the mud!

Rubicon_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2009, 06:05 AM   #77
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

I was a fleet manager for 17 years and I always had my pick of company vehicle to drive. Trucks, vans, cars, a huge variety. And I bought the tires, etc.
There was always the inevitable "yeah, but the tire doesn't..... (insert complaint) ....do this well...." with every tire. Sometimes a small item, sometimes something really bad.

The only thing so far is, "yeah, but the tire doesn't come in a blackwall for 33's..."
I think I can sleep well with that.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2009, 06:14 AM   #78
alecmcmahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
I was a fleet manager for 17 years and I always had my pick of company vehicle to drive. Trucks, vans, cars, a huge variety. And I bought the tires, etc.
There was always the inevitable "yeah, but the tire doesn't..... (insert complaint) ....do this well...." with every tire. Sometimes a small item, sometimes something really bad.

The only thing so far is, "yeah, but the tire doesn't come in a blackwall for 33's..."
I think I can sleep well with that.

yeh, i THINK i wanna buy these tires, but i HATE having the white letters out, any idea if they'll be coming out with a black side wall version?
alecmcmahon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2009, 06:21 AM   #79
PDoyle
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Think I'm putting my order in today to buy 5. The dealer tells me the $50. rebate is only until the 4th.
Unread 04-03-2009, 08:10 AM   #80
alecmcmahon

i think it's a 100 dollar rebate if you buy them with a goodyear credit card.

plus i think its a year or 6 months no interest.

also, i am still torn between 33's with white side wall, or 35's with black sidewall.

35's would require tube fenders on my part, which i dont mind.

but my 4 banger with 4.56 gearing will make for a slow ride to the trails.

----

any other people want to input on your experience with the tires? mud/rock/dirt ?
Unread 04-03-2009, 08:53 AM   #81
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecmcmahon View Post
35's ....but my 4 banger with 4.56 gearing will make for a slow ride to the trails.
Thats a fact Jack. Going from 33's to 35's when I already had 4.88 gears is what pushed me to do the motor swap.
Unread 04-03-2009, 09:20 AM   #82
alecmcmahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
Thats a fact Jack. Going from 33's to 35's when I already had 4.88 gears is what pushed me to do the motor swap.
yeh, 33's would prob. be more reasonable.

TJ is not my DD, though it does have to make it on alot of HWY miles to and from the trail.

thinking about doing super swamper ltbs or tsl tires...
Unread 04-04-2009, 10:59 AM   #83
PDoyle
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ordered 5 MT/R Kevlars late yesterday from the Goodyear dealer. $231. each plus fees... total $1252. installed.
The person "girl" at the counter tells me the older MT/R's didn't last very long on a couple Jeeps she has seen in the past. Something like 12k miles total on the old type. She said the new Kevlars are supposed to last 40-50k miles though, and was pretty optimistic about them. I should have them on in a week.
Unread 04-04-2009, 12:42 PM   #84
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I spent a week out in our backyard during KOH (JV/Hammers) and one of the guys who were joining us from WA had a new set of the 33's on his XJ. IIRC, he ran 3 of the "milder" trails the 1st day on 'em & they did very well.

Joe Dillard is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2009, 08:20 PM   #85
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Here is the list, bottom of this page. It shows sizes and which are in what color letters.
It is interesting that most sizes come in white wall? Who would have guessed?

Anyway, thanks for the reviews and let's hear some more!

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2009, 11:46 PM   #86
87Feep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The sizes under 35's are where you'll find whitewalls offered, the 35's and up are black letters.
87Feep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2009, 05:59 AM   #87
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Feep View Post
The sizes under 35's are where you'll find whitewalls offered, the 35's and up are black letters.
Like I said, 35 and up, the men's sizes.
Unread 04-05-2009, 07:04 AM   #88
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Like I said, 35 and up, the men's sizes.
I don't need to compensate with tires; I even drive a wee-little car...

But, seriously, the white letters are gaudy. And I'm glad that I got my wheels really inexpensively but I'm wishing they were black every time I walk by the Jeep.
Then I get rolling on the trail and I stop caring about those superficial things.

I took the rig out yesterday and tried to find as much spooge on the trails as I could. I figured that it would be easy after all the recent rain. Had to cut a tree up that fell across the trail in one spot, found some mud, the ruts had gotten deeper, some new rocks exposed, but didn't have to put it in 4-low at all... ...not sure if that's due to the new tires or not, but I glided up and down everything around Swallow Creek like it was a highway.
Felt comfy too. Coming from 18" wheels, the extra sidewall is very welcome.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2009, 04:38 PM   #89
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have to agree with JeeperDon about 35s, and I'm still on 30s.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2009, 09:51 AM   #90
GrimJeeper91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

A friend is a vendor at the Easter Jeep Safari in Moab and so far feedback is very positive. They are reporting better traction off road and better handling on road. Goodyear is also advertising the new rubber compound will result in better wear. I like what I'm hearing so far...
'91 YJ 4.O, Auto, Rr. D60 w/ 35 Spline Alloy USA Axles & Detriot Locker, Fr. D30 True-Trac, 4.56's, 4.5" Deaver Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's on MT classic II's, Detroit Locker, Vanco Big Brakes, Booster & Master, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE & TW's DS's, Teraflex Belly Up, Rocker Guards...
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.