Goodyear MT/R w kevlar - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Goodyear MT/R w kevlar

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while suppliePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 03-19-2009, 08:49 PM   #46
mr4x4
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon_TJ View Post
I agree, they're not. They have a thin profile, but it will probably grab somewhat.

I tend to believe they are there more to protect the sidewall than to provide any major traction.
I was thinking they are there mostly for looks and mabe a little bit of extra sidewall protection
what are they a 1/16 more rubber in those areas

Unread 03-22-2009, 10:54 AM   #47
alecmcmahon

So how many people are running this tire offroad ?

Lookingbfor more info how they work in a mud/rock mix
alecmcmahon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2009, 01:55 PM   #48
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecmcmahon View Post
So how many people are running this tire offroad ?

Lookingbfor more info how they work in a mud/rock mix
Give me a couple of weeks and I'll post a report; ordered a set today. 285/75-16.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2009, 02:22 PM   #49
Kip03TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Does this mean they stopped making the traditional MTR's?
2003 Jeep Wrangler Sahara edition fully loaded 5 speed manual. Brown dog 1" motor mounts, Currie 1" body lift, jks front disconnects, 31" Goodyear Wrangler duratracs, 8 adjustable control arms, Advance Adapters HD SYE, Tom woods premium driveshaft, driver & passenger heated seats
Kip03TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2009, 02:31 PM   #50
Chris_
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr4x4 View Post
I was thinking they are there mostly for looks and mabe a little bit of extra sidewall protection
what are they a 1/16 more rubber in those areas
I've come to the conclusion that fancy sidewall designs are for lifted pickup trucks with shiny wheels.
Unread 03-30-2009, 03:44 PM   #51
PDoyle
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_ View Post
I've come to the conclusion that fancy sidewall designs are for lifted pickup trucks with shiny wheels.
why do you say that?
Unread 03-30-2009, 03:46 PM   #52
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm waiting until they are available in men's sizes.
Unread 03-30-2009, 04:50 PM   #53
yyjeep

white letters inside on new MTR

If you're not a fan of white letters, you'd have to put the all-terrain strip on the outside, right?
yyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2009, 05:57 PM   #54
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyjeep View Post
If you're not a fan of white letters, you'd have to put the all-terrain strip on the outside, right?
No, it's asym and the knobbier tread is designed to be outside. If you don't want white letters, buy a different size. I'm considering the 35x12.5/15 when they are available, which are black.
Unread 03-30-2009, 06:02 PM   #55
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJeeper91 View Post
Also, because they are directional so one direction will provide more bite than the other.
As already explained above, the new MT/R tires are not directional.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2009, 06:05 PM   #56
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip03TJ View Post
Does this mean they stopped making the traditional MTR's?
There are no more (or at least barely any) of the older style MT/Rs left, Goodyear stopped making them.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2009, 07:35 PM   #57
yyjeep

MTR Kevlar white letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
No, it's asym and the knobbier tread is designed to be outside. If you don't want white letters, buy a different size. I'm considering the 35x12.5/15 when they are available, which are black.
Don, Thanks for your reply. You are right. Your reply helped make my decison.

Some are discussing here the issue of unidirectional, which is different than being asymetrical. The new tire is not unidirectional, but it is asymetrical, so the only way to hide the white letters is to flip the tires to put the all-terrain strip to the outside, which is not the design. In fact the tires have molded instructions on the sidewall that the all-terrain strip must be mounted to the inside and the mud-terrain strip to the outside.

Unfortunately I can't wait for Goodyear to come to their senses (Moab Easter Safari next week), so I'm going with the last stock of the original MTRs this time. They'll be ancient history next time I buy, so I'll be looking for 5 of something else next time ... or maybe by then they will have new blackwall MTRs with Kevlar.

Thanks, again.
yyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2009, 08:12 PM   #58
Rubicon_TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyjeep View Post
Don, Thanks for your reply. You are right. Your reply helped make my decison.

Some are discussing here the issue of unidirectional, which is different than being asymetrical. The new tire is not unidirectional, but it is asymetrical, so the only way to hide the white letters is to flip the tires to put the all-terrain strip to the outside, which is not the design. In fact the tires have molded instructions on the sidewall that the all-terrain strip must be mounted to the inside and the mud-terrain strip to the outside.

Unfortunately I can't wait for Goodyear to come to their senses (Moab Easter Safari next week), so I'm going with the last stock of the original MTRs this time. They'll be ancient history next time I buy, so I'll be looking for 5 of something else next time ... or maybe by then they will have new blackwall MTRs with Kevlar.

Thanks, again.
You could just dye the white lettering black, and get the new (and improved) tread design.
Rubicon_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2009, 09:16 PM   #59
GrimJeeper91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
As already explained above, the new MT/R tires are not directional.
The old MT/R side biters are symmetrical in regards to tire direction. The side biters on the new tire look like they will be more effective turning one direction more than the other. All in all they don't look like they will be very effective for traction IMO.
'91 YJ 4.O, Auto, Rr. D60 w/ 35 Spline Alloy USA Axles & Detriot Locker, Fr. D30 True-Trac, 4.56's, 4.5" Deaver Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's on MT classic II's, Detroit Locker, Vanco Big Brakes, Booster & Master, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE & TW's DS's, Teraflex Belly Up, Rocker Guards...
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2009, 04:38 AM   #60
Rubicon_TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJeeper91 View Post
The side biters on the new tire look like they will be more effective turning one direction more than the other. All in all they don't look like they will be very effective for traction IMO.
I was thinking the same thing, but after looking at this pic...

I can see how the long edges grab, rather than just the front edges of the side biters.
Looks promising.
Rubicon_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.