Goodyear MT/R vs Goodyear Duratrac - essentially the same tire? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Goodyear MT/R vs Goodyear Duratrac - essentially the same tire?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 01-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
EddieXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Goodyear MT/R vs Goodyear Duratrac - essentially the same tire?

Not literally but I've been reading both threads on these and I swear if you swapped the titles each thread could apply to either tire (minus the kevlar re-enforcement).

I currently run duratracs in a 31" flavor. I will be moving to 33" soon and am torn between sticking with the dura's or going with the kevlar's.

Background - I have another vehicle so I wouldn't say I drive my Jeep everyday but on average I drive it 3 days a week on highway/road. Offroad capability is important to me but so are on-road manners and the ability to handle snow/ice.

Offroad -My offroad playground is a mining area where the main, used trails are soupy and muddy with poor drainage but the old abandoned trails have become hard and very rocky as the soft mud washed away and has exposed rocks.

On Road- I drive it back and forth to work which consists of a 4 mile round trip on city/township roads. I occasionally drive it on the highway so that is still relevant.

Snow- I live in eastern PA so we don't always have the snowiest winters but when conditions are snowy and icy I like to have the capability to get around in it.

I would say that is about as all-around as it gets in terms of what I need out of a tire

I have been more than pleased with the Duratrac's but the only place I've had issues with them was in deep mud. I understand they are an A/T and they have blown me away in all other areas. I don't want to go to a mud tire because the snow/ice and on road capability are still important to me.

With that in mind my thoughts on each tire are:

MT/R - I was looking at the MT/R and like the idea of the kevlar sidewall because of the exposed rocks on many of my trails. I also like the bigger voids and lugs on the "open" half of the MT/R. It seems like that portion of the tire would help it in mud. The "closed" portion of the tread worries me as it seems that it would be a detriment in mud but help with on-road manners and in icy/snowy conditions.

Duratrac - I have first hand experience with this tire. It has been ok in mud but not great. I have some experience with it in ice and snow and it performed great. On road it is quiet as ever and has extremely long tread life. The Duratrac seems to have more siping than the MT/R which leads me to believe it would be better in rainy/icy conditions. I have rubbed the sidewall on many rocks and have not experienced any punctures so it seems adequate at least for me.

All in all you may say if I think the Duratrac is that great in all the condtions named why not stay with it? I may do just that but was just curious if there was something I was missing out on with the MT/R.

Each thread focusing on the individual tires weigh the pro's and cons of that particular tire. I was curious on seeing opinions (first hand or otherwise) comparing these two tires head to head.

On road I would rate what is important to me as follows:

Handling (including rain/ice) 50%
Tread wear 40%
Noise 10%

Off road I would go with:

Mud 50%
Rocks 50%

Like I pointed out before this is a tall order for just ONE set of tires. Ideally I could swap in and out for each specific task but I really just want one set of all around tires.

Sorry if this seems like one giant soliloquy but I wanted to be sure I provide enough information for opinions to be formed from.

Looking forward to anything anyone has to say.

Thanks guys,
Ed

EddieXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Can't complain about my MT/R K's.I daily drive my Jeep with them on(35x12.50x15's) here in CO and no issues with snow/ice.Unbeatable on the rocks and while still having a great ride/handling on the street.Though not a mud tire persay but many have commented they do much better then the KM2's but just under a dedicated mud tire like a TSL or Bogger.
Unread 01-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
EddieXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Hmmmm,

Thanks for the input.....+1 for the MT/R's. Grass is always greener sometimes and I'm thinking of going with the MT/R's just so I can try something different.

Looking forward to hearing from the fellow Duratrac owners as well.
Unread 01-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

MT/R Kevs are about durability and traction on rocks. IMO, they are the best tire available if you don't solely play in mud. They also happen to ride quiet and smooth on the road and they wear excellent. If that appeals to you, get them.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
asearle
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've been running the MT/Rs for about six months now and can recommend them. I will say, however, that they seem to be wearing a bit faster than my old Toyo MTs did. I realize this isn't a comparison with the Duratracs, but perhaps it is useful info nonetheless. And while certainly good, I also feel they're not quite as smooth on road as my old Toyos were.
Unread 01-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asearle View Post
I've been running the MT/Rs for about six months now and can recommend them. I will say, however, that they seem to be wearing a bit faster than my old Toyo MTs did. I realize this isn't a comparison with the Duratracs, but perhaps it is useful info nonetheless. And while certainly good, I also feel they're not quite as smooth on road as my old Toyos were.
Yeah I had a set of Toyo MT's before the Kevlars,your right that the Toyo's are a little btter on road.Wear I couldn't say but seamed pretty equal.But at $180 per tire difference($380 per tire for the Toyo's and $200 for the MT/R's) and 24lbs per tire difference(89lbs for the Toyo 35x13.50x15,65lbs for the MT/R 35x12.50x15) the MT/R's are the better value.
Unread 01-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #7
asearle
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Yeah I had a set of Toyo MT's before the Kevlars,your right that the Toyo's are a little btter on road.Wear I couldn't say but seamed pretty equal.But at $180 per tire difference($380 per tire for the Toyo's and $200 for the MT/R's) and 24lbs per tire difference(89lbs for the Toyo 35x13.50x15,65lbs for the MT/R 35x12.50x15) the MT/R's are the better value.
I completely agree. The price of the Toyos kept me away the second time around.
Unread 01-17-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
Lawrence
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieXJ View Post
Background - I have another vehicle so I wouldn't say I drive my Jeep everyday but on average I drive it 3 days a week on highway/road. [...] on-road manners and the ability to handle snow/ice.
Duratrac>MTR

Quote:
Offroad -My offroad playground is a mining area where the main, used trails are soupy and muddy with poor drainage but the old abandoned trails have become hard and very rocky as the soft mud washed away and has exposed rocks.
MTR>Duratrac

Quote:
On Road- I drive it back and forth to work which consists of a 4 mile round trip on city/township roads. I occasionally drive it on the highway so that is still relevant.
Duratrac>MTR

Quote:
Snow- I live in eastern PA so we don't always have the snowiest winters but when conditions are snowy and icy I like to have the capability to get around in it.
Duratrac>MTR

Quote:
I have been more than pleased with the Duratrac's but the only place I've had issues with them was in deep mud.
Try to stay out of it I know I do and I cannot give you feedback with this.

Quote:
I don't want to go to a mud tire because the snow/ice and on road capability are still important to me.
Most MTs suck when the temps get too cold.

Quote:
Looking forward to anything anyone has to say.
I have both and I like them for various reasons. My TJ has now become my DD (sort of), so I made the switch to the Duratrac (from MTs) because winter traction was more important to me than a little more offroad capability. My LJ is not my DD and it usually doesn't see any winter action, so I have the MTRs on because of the limited onroad driving in favor of better offroad prowess.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2012, 12:42 AM   #9
jbjeepfever
2004 LJ Wrangler 

@ EddieXJ - the "closed lug" or the tight pattern in the center of the MTR is for mud. It was designed to help keep the suction that deeper mud creates to a minimum
jbjeepfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2012, 01:53 AM   #10
tjtrucker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If you don't mind doing do a little reading, JP Magazine just came out with a big tire review article, and it covered all the tires you just mentioned plus more and over 6 different types of terrain including ice/mud, from what I read I think the Mickey Thompson Baja Claw and GoodYear Duratracs fared best for overall performance. the BFG KM2s were close but didn't do well on ice.
tjtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2012, 08:43 AM   #11
Lawrence
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjtrucker View Post
If you don't mind doing do a little reading, JP Magazine just came out with a big tire review article [...]
First, some editors at JP couldn't find a Wrangler in a crowd if they stared at it. It's sad to see how little they know about Jeeps. Second, just like every other magazine, circulation numbers and advertising dollars get in the way of unbiased results.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #12
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I run 33" duratracs on my yj for a yr now. Quiet on road with a slight hum to knw you have a aggressive tire. I drive onroad with these tires mostly with rotation 3k miles and they still look fairly new. All we have down here is mudholes with little hills. They do grip through deep mud good with some tire spin to clean rightout. I did have to climb out a wet grassy hill once and had no issues in 2wd. I havent tested them out in snow yet cause we rarely get any but if we do i have confidence in them. I convince two of my friends to buy duratracs for their 4wds one is a yj and other a 06 z71 and they love them. If my yj wasnt a dd i would love the mtr/k but i cant really speak for them cause i dont run them yet.
Unread 01-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #13
Irongrave
1992 YJ Wrangler 

In my experience wheeling east coast rocks (i hate mud) the MT-Rs give up grip to the KM2s. Also I've seen an equal number of MT-Rs sliced open as any other radial tire. I would personally run a duratrac over a non sticky MT-R out here
1997 ZJ, 1992 YJ, 1992 XJ
Irongrave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #14
EddieXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for all the responses guys...

Lawrence...the way you explained each scenario with what tire was better was very helpful..

Irongrave mentions that the rubber compound is harder on the MT/R's...can anyone second this? Lawrence, do you notice a difference in hardness of the rubber between the two tires?
Unread 01-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #15
Irongrave
1992 YJ Wrangler 

not harder just dosen't seem to grip the same more so if it gets a little wet. not sure the reason just observations. the old style was a better tire for the rocks out here
1997 ZJ, 1992 YJ, 1992 XJ
Irongrave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.