Goodyear MT/R Kelvar vs Cooper STT - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Goodyear MT/R Kelvar vs Cooper STT

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
Pontiacman
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Goodyear MT/R Kelvar vs Cooper STT

I am going crazy trying to decide between these two tires. I need a tire to drive to the trails about three to five hours on the highway, but does well on New England trails. Based on tons of internet research, I have narrowed it down to GY MT/R and Copper STT.
My concern is performance on rocks and mud. Only by what I’ve read, the MT/Rs are great on rocks, but mud reviews are mixed. Some say they are either, great, okay, or terrible. Coppers get very good reviews in mud, good or okay on rocks, but there have been comments regarding side wall strength.

My fear is having a tire pack with mud and being “that guy” always stuck, or in the rocks blowing out the sidewalls.

Are either my concerns serious enough to rule out either tire ?

Both are at a similar price point, in my budget, and tread life is good for either.
Both are similar to actual height, but the STT are narrower.

Mine:2003 TJ Rubicon Flame red, 5 speed, 4.88 gears, rear Detriot locker, RE 3.5" SF, 1" BL, 1" ML, MT/Rs 35" x 12.5 on Soft 8s, PSC Rocker Knockers, Warn 8274, Warn 620 flood lights, GP Fab rear bumper / tire carrier, MCE 4.5" fenders
Hers:2009 Wrangler X six speed soft top, one option = AC, Rubicon Tires and wheels
Pontiacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Can only comment on STT's. Love them off road, but, with your 3-5 hr hwy commute to trails, I will add this......
Coopers are quite around town but get very loud around 50 mph. That's on 33/12.5/16's at 26 psi.

Are the Goodyears quietier hwy tires .... they look like they would be?
The STT's are a lot sexier looking. Small point..... and JMO.

Don't think you can go wrong with either.

RJ
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #3
spearheadbill
2005 TJ Wrangler 

GoodYear Kevlar MT/Rs are the best bet for your money
spearheadbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.