Goodyear Duratrac or MTR/K - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Goodyear Duratrac or MTR/K

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 06-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Goodyear Duratrac or MTR/K

Ok, it's final decision time. I've done extensive searching and pricing on both tires and my brain hurts. My delima is I'm a bit paranoid about the fact that the Duratrac is only 2 ply. This is the pricing I'm dealing with:

These prices are with the Goodyear rebates and the tread lightly rebate (tread lightly rebate is 100$, but since I would have to pay 25$ to join the rebates is basically 75$).

Discount Tire Direct: (4 tires)

GY Duratrac w/o certificate of replacement- 641$
with certificate of repacement- 736$

GY MT/R Kevlar w/o certificate of replacement- 731$

I guess I could take the chance, save some money and go with the Duratracs. But we're only talking about a difference of a hundred bucks, seems like I'd rather be safe than sorry. If I tear a Duratrac I've already spent more money than if I had just bought the MTR/Ks. Plus with the run off this year in Colorado I'm thinking the MTR/Ks will do better with all the mud.

To damn hard to choose. I need some opinions.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
Dead_End
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I run duratracs and love them. They are pretty stout, especially for a 2 ply tire. they have good tread life too. So far I have put 20k miles on mine and have barely used any tread.
Dead_End is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
Moto4x4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Duratracs supposedly do very well in snow and icy conditions. I would personally choose the MTRs cause the rockies arent called the rockies for no reason hahaha
Moto4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #4
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto4x4
Duratracs supposedly do very well in snow and icy conditions. I would personally choose the MTRs cause the rockies arent called the rockies for no reason hahaha
Yeah this is my thinking. I don't go out EVERY weekend and wheel super hard, but terrain can vary here, and all it takes is one good rock to make life suck. So then I could do the certificate of replacement and never have to worry about it, but at that point it's the same price as the mtr.

Unread 06-18-2011, 09:30 PM   #5
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The MT/R Kevlar can't be beat.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 09:41 PM   #6
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Check Sam's Club for pricing. They also have a protection plan - included. I've had a few tires (non-kevlar MT/R) replaced on a prorated basis there. I especially like the unlimited lifetime balancing.

I've had both the original MT/R and the Kevlar variety. You can't go wrong with the MT/R w/Kevlar.

Sent from my DROID2 using JeepForum
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
sail78385
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Do you really need an mtr? What tire gets the best mileage? is a loud tire going to bother you - sure it's quiet at first but then the sound grows.
Unread 06-18-2011, 09:48 PM   #8
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robncar View Post
Check Sam's Club for pricing. They also have a protection plan - included. I've had a few tires (non-kevlar MT/R) replaced on a prorated basis there.

I've had both the original MT/R and the Kevlar variety. You can't go wrong with the MT/R w/Kevlar.

That's a good idea. I'll have to tag along with my parents to Sam's Club next time they go.

Other than that I think I'm leaning toward the Kevlars. Only have to buy tires every so often. Minus well spend a bit more. What really pisses me off is the difference between 33s and 35s is like 20 bucks. Wish I could do axles this summer and tires next summer, but there's no way I can get another year out of these tires.

Unread 06-18-2011, 09:50 PM   #9
Moto4x4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail78385 View Post
Do you really need an mtr? What tire gets the best mileage? is a loud tire going to bother you - sure it's quiet at first but then the sound grows.
What do you mean by the sound grows? When i put my 35" MTRs on they were WAYYY louder. A week later my mom asked me about the noise and of course i thought "What noise?"

I got used to the sound and it seems just as quite as my old 31s
Unread 06-18-2011, 09:51 PM   #10
freedommachine
1930 XK Commander 

I find the mtr/k to be a quit tire. I have and would go with mtr/k again over the duratrac for the better side walls
freedommachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 09:52 PM   #11
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail78385 View Post
A mud terrain would actually be nice, especially since I have a feeling this summer is going to be very muddy. Also noise is not an issue, can't be any louder than my balding pro comp muds that have made it over 5 years. I can't even remember when my dad put those tires on.

Unread 06-18-2011, 09:52 PM   #12
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you go Sam's, you can't get the Treadlightly rebate anymore starting this year. They changed the perks a little. Must have a 3 year membership for preferred chrysler pricing on vehicles, and no discount on tires at Walmart/Sam's.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 09:53 PM   #13
Moto4x4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
That's a good idea. I'll have to tag along with my parents to Sam's Club next time they go.

Other than that I think I'm leaning toward the Kevlars. Only have to buy tires every so often. Minus well spend a bit more. What really pisses me off is the difference between 33s and 35s is like 20 bucks. Wish I could do axles this summer and tires next summer, but there's no way I can get another year out of these tires.
Just a suggestion, but

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/2444783377.html

200 and there yours. They will easily last you to next summer. i know there not 33s, but they arent far off.
Unread 06-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #14
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
If you go Sam's, you can't get the Treadlightly rebate anymore starting this year. They changed the perks a little. Must have a 3 year membership for preferred chrysler pricing on vehicles, and no discount on tires at Walmart/Sam's.
Good catch, I went and read the fine print on their website and sure enough no rebate at Walmart/Sams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto4x4 View Post
Just a suggestion, but

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/2444783377.html

200 and there yours. They will easily last you to next summer. i know there not 33s, but they arent far off.
I've been poking around craigslist for tires to make it next summer. I would be all over that but my wheels are 15".

Unread 06-18-2011, 10:01 PM   #15
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail78385
..is a loud tire going to bother you - sure it's quiet at first but then the sound grows.
I don't find the MT/R-K to be all that loud. Back in the day I went through a couple of sets of Monster Mudders, now that was loud!

robncar is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.